Cura 3.2 Beta Spiralize Outer Contour Issues

mjf55

Posted · Cura 3.2 Beta Spiralize Outer Contour Issues

Installed the Cura 3.2 Beta release and when I was attempting to print this rocket , I have 2 issues with the print.

First issue is that there is a seam / print head jump on each layer.  It is almost like a layer change but is not.  The print head will reverse and then continue going forward.  This shows up as a seam / blob on the skin.  I have both Spiralize Outer Contour and Smooth Spiralized Contours checked.  I will  un-check Smooth Spiralized Contours to see if that contributes to the problem

Second issue is that when the above print is completing,  the top layers go very fast, despite having Minimum Layer Time set to 7 seconds.  It appears that this setting is not used in Spiralization.

I have attached a photo that shows both issues.

I think cura is a great slicer and love to see all the new features that are being added.

Cura3_2-Sprial-Rocket.jpg

Item 2 is resolved by exposing Minimum Speed in the cooling section and setting to so something real slow like 1mm/s.  That way when doing the fine tip, you will get some layer cooling.  Produced good results that way.  Just issue 1 to resolve.

The print finished, I didn't get a visible seam and the top came out not too bad.

So, you must have some difference in your settings that is causing the seam to be visible. Do you have coasting enabled? That would cause it!

The animated layer view does show the nozzle jumping back at the end of each layer but that is an artifact of the layer view, the nozzle really doesn't do that movement. The layer view jump back is a feature of how a spiralized line is displayed by the layer view, there's an extra little bit of line that is displayed at the end of each layer. If that extra line was not being shown you would tend to get a gap there which doesn't look nice.

So, I don't know what's causing your visible seam, could you please post the gcode and I will take a look at it. Thanks.

Did you disable retractions? I had to do that to get rid of the Zed Scar a while back when I was experimenting with the spiralize function.

Yes, I think it could be retract on layer change is enabled? You don't want that when using spiralize.

I have submitted a PR (https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine/pull/694) that will stop the inter-layer retract/prime occurring between spiralized layers. So in the future, it won't matter if retract on layer change is enabled or not.

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

That was it.  I disabled layer retraction and it prints perfectly.  Thank you.............

1 hour ago, smartavionics said:

I have submitted a PR (https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine/pull/694) that will stop the inter-layer retract/prime occurring between spiralized layers. So in the future, it won't matter if retract on layer change is enabled or not.

I think that if any setting would be contradictory to the success of a print like spiralize, it would be good to disable by default the settings that would mess it up. But, also allow for people to turn it on by choice. I can see a design issue that would warrant something funky like that.

11 minutes ago, mjf55 said:

That was it.  I disabled layer retraction and it prints perfectly.  Thank you.............

Ye be welcome me hearty, happy to parlay wit'd ye.....

23 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

But, also allow for people to turn it on by choice. I can see a design issue that would warrant something funky like that.

In theory I agree but in this case I'm not quite sure as I think if I wanted the "wrong" behaivour state above I would just set the shells to 1 and infill to zero? Maybe I'm missing something here ?