Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
thomas_lee_90

Ultimaker Original does not connect + display error

Dear community,

I finally finished assembling my ultimaker original. Unfortunately, when I tried to turn it on for the first time, the display only shows dark marks. In addition to this, I tried to do a system check through Cura, but the software says "no connection" - although the USB is plugged in. I already checked the connections from the Ulticontroller to the mainboard and made sure that EXP1 goes to EXP1 and EXP2 to EXP2. I attached two pictures of the display. Does anyone have a clue of what's wrong and how to fix it? I would really appreciate any hints, thank you!

IMG_8108.thumb.jpg.474be8d892f3ee35f6ce20dcf7508caa.jpgIMG_8109.thumb.jpg.e9789eb6c88f6f278f7223948f09f1b4.jpg

With power off I'd check all the pins that go into the arduino to make sure there aren't any bent ones.

Also try removing the arduino board from the UM board and connecting to USB (which will power it up) and see if you can connect to the board that way using pronterface.  Or try to connect to it in cura 15.* with and update the firmware from within cura.

You want to figure out if the problem is with the arduino board or the green board.  Hopefully it's just a loose connection and removing and re-inserting the arduino will fix your issue.

If you have a windows machine and connect it to the arduino and you have the arduino driver installed you should hear that "ba da" sound where the second note is a higher pitch.  Then in device manager you should see a usb device that popped in when you plugged it in and/or it should then appear as a COM port in the list of COM ports.  If it appears in USB but not COM ports then you probably don't have the arduino driver installed.

• Like 1