Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Tikishark

Camera resolution

I just purchased my first Ultimaker 3 and should have it in hand within the next fews days.  I was wondering two things while I wait though.  What is the resolution of the camera, and can it be upgraded at a later date (perhaps to HD if it's not, or 4k if it's already HD).  Also, can the camera be used with Octoprint or is it only accessible through Cura?

Thanks,  looking forward to being part of the Ultimaker community.

John

I am not sure upgrading the camera to HD would be all that helpful. For one, it will put a lot of overhead on your Wifi setup feeding a lot of extra stuff and it really only lets you see from a very limited angle. I have found it best for just making sure the print is ok and not failing in some way.

• Thanks 1

It's barely HD (800X600). You can't connect to it through octoprint (pretty sure) but you can connect to it through any web browser.  Also when connecting through a web browser the frame rate is much higher and the resolution is higher also (higher than other methods - you still only get 800X600).

http://X.X.X.X:8080/?action=stream

Change the Xs to your ip address for you UM3.
Here is an actual size 800X600 screenshot of my UM3 at this moment (not printing this very moment):

a.png

• Thanks 1

You can sort-of connect to it in OctoPrint, but it's not very useful.

It is possible to enter the camera URL in your OctoPrint configuration, but the rest of the printer cannot be controlled from OctoPrint. So there's no way to start a print from OctoPrint or to make a timelapse (if that's what you want to do)

• Like 1