Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Dana

Polymaker Polymax conductive?

Hi All, does anyone know or has anyone had any experience with Polymax being conductive? I built a box for an Arduino and if its in the box it will not load a sketch (program) I thought it could be squeezing the bird and opening a dry joint but it will only work with a bit of card in the bottom, really the only thing it could be is the pins on the bottom shorting out

this really surprised me as I would have expected it to be insulating, I do not have a multimeter to hand here to test it out, would be interested if anyone knows or can recommend other materials that are not conductive in any way

I did try to print the box in PETG but was having problems with material settings (my last post)

regards

Dan

I don't know Polymax, so I can't comment on that. But maybe you could also look into the opposite? Could it be that it is electrostatically charged too much, and that this causes malfunctioning? Most plastics charge up easily. This could especially be a problem if the board would contain CMOS or similar stuff, with open pins, or circuits with very high input resistances? If dust and little pieces of plastic debris easily get stuck on the model, it is probably charged up. Apart from other possible reasons of course, like a broken soldering, broken copper trace, or wire?

Hi Geert, I think of static but I would expect it to discharge and damage the board permanently, I also tried to flee the board outside of the box but nothing really happened, I will get a meeter and see whats actually happening, this could change my design somewhat or at least my material (if I can figure out these material profile thingies)

Dan