Afroing/ Stringing support material

Brook129

Posted · Afroing/ Stringing support material

Hello,

I keep having the same issue in which my support material has some sort of stringing. I wouldn't say its normal stringing as it is thick short pieces. I have tried lowering the material temp, slowing the speed of the support speed (30mm/s) as well as having retraction on as well as retraction during layer change and retraction before outer wall. I also tried it with the combing mode on all. I have experienced this with multiple materials which are Ultimaker brand. If anyone has some suggestions I would appreciate it.

27604895_10157137163344465_151959659_o.jpg

27535614_10157136164609465_258894488_o.jpg

27049015_10157104792679465_1286959022_o.jpg

I think these strings are what I call a sort of "landing strings". I don't know if there is an official term for it. What I mean is that while traveling through air, the nozzle may leak a bit, and when encountering the next wall, that little drop is deposited on the side of that wall. On the next layer, the leaking drop is deposited on the previous drop. And then on that drop. And so on, causing weird upwards and outwards going strings, like insect antennas. It is a guess, but it is the only thing I can think of.

I do not have a good solution, but any solution (if this is indeed the problem!!!) should go in the direction of causing less leaks, or less movements through air, I think. Maybe print cooler and slower (=less pressure in nozzle), or travel faster through air, or travel over land instead of through air where possible, or more cooling fan, or changes in retraction settings (or maybe the printer doesn't even do any retractions when printing supports, which is why it leaks),...? Try watching carefully what happens while printing.

I do notice something similar when printing PET, which is more rubbery than PLA: so when printing overhangs or when traveling through air, it does not cause thin strings or hairs, but a blob under the nozzle that is deposited on the next wall or next obstruction that the nozzle meets in its travel.

• Like 1

Thanks for your reply. I think that is what is happening. I have messed with the retraction settings and printed with cooler temperatures but it is still doing it. I guess I could try slower print speeds but I'm not sure how that will help. I did try the "optimize wall printing order" feature but it did not help.