Crunch/click sound while printing, possibly in print head?

kman

Posted · Crunch/click sound while printing, possibly in print head?

Hi, I'm new to um3 and have been lurking in the forums since getting my machine. You guys have been a great help thus far, but I can't seem to figure this out now.

I've tried a few things suggested in what I thought were similar posts here. It sounds like a crunch or click when the print head is moving, and from what I can tell, it sounds like it is coming from the print head and not the side rails. I've got a link to the videos below to demonstrate.

So far, I've tried checking the cores for any filament, and cleaning/oiling the rods. It seems oiling the rods helped initially, so I thought that was it, but it's back. I've re-oiled and it doesn't seem to help. Any ideas on what I can try next? I'm thinking of trying to get the bearings directly that were  mentioned in some other posts to see if there is something in there clogging anything when it's moving, but I'd like to see if anyone has had this issue before or other less intrusive ideas.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/QrNuWpET9PbrGI7j2    (around 8 seconds)

https://photos.app.goo.gl/BUGnuvwIDuTBKqMH2   ( most prominent around 15-20 secs)

Nothing from the videos at all? Per chance, did you click on the play in the top right? Google does an auto play feature that just previews the video but no sound, but clicking the icon "should" load up sound... I'll see where else I can do a quick upload of the mp4s.

On a side note, I disassembled the print head and didn't find anything,... I put it back together and now it doesn't make the noise. So I'm unsure of the issue but I feel confident enough it was something or another lodged in there.

The only sound I notice that sounds like "clicking" is a sound I am very familiar with - it's the sound of the head passing quickly over infill pattern and the clicking is coming from the infill as the metal head "clicks" past all those interior walls.

1 hour ago, yellowshark said:

No sound at all from the video on my speakers

Initially I think it shows you a gif "video" summary - you have to click the tiny play triangle to get audio - AND you have to crank up the volume on your speakers.

Ah, thanks @gr5. OK got it now; that is a travel move and yes it is not a sound I have ever heard on my non UM printer, the head hitting infill I assume but boy that is loud

Thanks for the replies, I've been swamped with work so I haven't printed anything since. I'll have some time this weekend to do some prints with infill and see what's going on.