Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Sicarius

Keep the Bed Temp. When Print is Done

I do not think there is a setting in Cura to do this but I have not used vs. 3.n so I could be wrong. It is easy though, just add a command to the end of your g-code file; M140 Snn where nn is the temp. you want.

However, you may find you need the bed temp to drop down from the printing temp. so that you can easily remove the print from the surface. Better to wait 5 mins than damage your plate:) 

I don't think you'll damage the glass any more than if you let it cool.  I could be wrong about this.

But you *are* more likely to damage the print.  For PLA and ABS the bed is kept above the softening temp of the material meaning the bottom mm or so is quite soft and can be easily deformed.  For PLA you want it to cool to 50C before removing.  For ABS let it cool to 95C before removing.

Most of the time I simply can't remove my models as long as the glass is above 30...35°C, or this would damage the model and decalibrate the glass bed. However, you can speed up cooling quite a lot by putting a 25cm desktop fan in front of the printer, as soon as it is finished.

35 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

...but one can imagine printers with swappable build surfaces and auto/active-leveling..., right? :p

Yes, indeed. Buy a second glass, buy a cheap electronically controlled oven, and preheat the second glass in there when the other is almost finished printing...