Welcome to Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Stable

SandervG

Posted · Welcome to Ultimaker Cura 3.2 | Stable

Hi @Tafelspitz, I looked at the end of dowel2.gcode and dowel3_1.gcode and they look very similar. Neither contain any gcode to move the nozzle away from the surface at the end of the print. I would expect to see some end gcode that does that and other stuff like turning off the heat, fans, etc. I looked at some other people's UM3 gcode and a typical end sequence would be like this:

M204 S3000
M205 X20 Y20
M107
G91 ;Relative movement
G0 F15000 X8.0 Z0.5 E-4.5 ;Wiping+material retraction
G0 F10000 Z1.5 E4.5 ;Compensation for the retraction
G90 ;Disable relative movement
M82 ;absolute extrusion mode
M104 S0
M104 T1 S0
;End of Gcode

The firmware delivered with Cura hasn't changed in 8 months (since Cura 2.6): https://github.com/Ultimaker/cura-binary-data/tree/master/cura/resources/firmware

The firmware repositories themselves did change, for instance this one: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Ultimaker2Marlin/commit/aa496a8f3b09ed7333b162deb21de5a9d154898a

However the changes made to the source code was only documentation so we didn't make a new build of the Ultimaker 2 firmware for that.

If there was a bug with the firmware of the Ultimaker 2, I wouldn't expect it to change with Cura 3.2. I would think that it was Cura at fault, so then it would appear in the g-code.

14 hours ago, Tafelspitz said:

don't think it's the firmware since it only happens with prints sliced with Cura 3.2 and not with 3.1 on my printer with the same firmware (_2.6.2).

Good to know.  Over in the French forum they seem to be finding this is only happening on macs.  Can you confirm your os?

On 2/21/2018 at 9:04 PM, Tafelspitz said:

I printed the peg again using the same file I created with Cura 3.2.1 and made a short movie of the end of the print to show you what's actually happening:
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2ylrguh7rubgou/C0002.m4v?dl=1

The printer puts on the top layer and then, before retracting and parking the print head, it does this weird action. The extruder shredders the filament in this process, btw.

I also uploaded my mac specs and the printer file in question.

Screen Shot 2018-02-21 at 19.23.33.png

dowel2.gcode

1 hour ago, gr5 said:

Good to know.  Over in the French forum they seem to be finding this is only happening on macs.  Can you confirm your os?

That's affirmitive. See above.

@tinkergnome - is still convinced that cura 3.2 has different firmware than cura 3.1 (even though both say 2.6.2).  All I know is that this is a problem on at least 3 different forum topics right now and it is a hot topic.

@Tafelspitz - are you absolutely certain you didn't install a USB cable between your computer and your printer and update the firmware on your printer?  Because there is a code change in the firmware that would explain everything.  But only if you updated your firmware when you switched to Cura 3.2.

8 hours ago, gr5 said:

@Tafelspitz - are you absolutely certain you didn't install a USB cable between your computer and your printer and update the firmware on your printer?  Because there is a code change in the firmware that would explain everything.  But only if you updated your firmware when you switched to Cura 3.2.

Short answer: Yes, I'm absolutely, positively sure. And let me qualify this statement by saying that I would have to physically haul the printer across the room to even get it in range for an USB cable.

Long answer: I bought my UM2+ early in January. While setting it up, I installed Cura 3.1, which was the latest version back then, and updated the printer's firmware. I then disconnected the USB cable and moved the printer to its dedicated place across the room, where it sits ever since.

I did many successful prints with 3.1.

After the 3.2 beta came out, I wanted to give it a try, so I installed it along 3.1 and sliced a couple of things with this beta version. All of them failed due to the problem in question. I posted about this in the other thread, deleted 3.2 Beta and again successfully printed stuff sliced with 3.1.

Along came 3.2 stable. I decided to give it a go and everything I printed with it instantly failed again.

So I once again went back to 3.1 and everything is printing fine once again.

Just the other day I printed some more filament spool clips from a file I had on my memory card. The print failed and I just then remembered that the file in question was sliced with 3.2 beta back then.

Synopsis:

- The printer firmware is from Cura 3.1.
    - Everything sliced with Cura 3.1 prints fine
    - Everything sliced with Cura 3.2.x fails.

Thanks. Good to see the problem has been identified.

iMac Mac OS 10.12.6 (16G1212)

3.2.1 When I quit Cura it sometimes looses its printer. When I come back it asks to add a printer... I have had to re-add my CR-10 several times!

Please go the Help -> Show configuration folder and locate the file named cura.log. Upload that file to a cloud drive of your choice and post a link here.

font rendering issue is still present for me in 3.2.1 (less drastically than in 3.2 though) 3.1 renders as expected.  see the right column in the Right menu in the attached screenshots 

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 2.05.23 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 2.05.58 PM.png

Screen Shot 2018-03-04 at 2.06.20 PM.png

On 3/3/2018 at 1:57 AM, ahoeben said:

Please go the Help -> Show configuration folder and locate the file named cura.log. Upload that file to a cloud drive of your choice and post a link here.

Many times when I start Cura 3.2.1 it has "forgotten" my printer I must choose a printer ... I am on Creality CR-10 #5 now... :(

here is the log you requested...

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1BZuPbqjEt50h7O1lLnaDMhrfNwmlBqAS/view?usp=sharing

It may be good to mention that printer definitions are now loaded when you add a printer. Instead of loading all available printers on startup. It enables Ultimaker Cura to have a reduced startup time compared to previous versions. 

I don't think this is true.  If there is a syntax error in any of the printer definition JSON files, Cura will crash.

59 minutes ago, lordnimon said:

I don't think this is true.  If there is a syntax error in any of the printer definition JSON files, Cura will crash.

Barring that issue, I think what is being said is that instead of loading every printer def at the beginning, it will only load the ones you choose. People used to get rid of all the printer defs except the one(s) they wanted to use. That is how I understand the statement. And, my Cura does load a lot faster than before.

And, if it loaded all of them and one was defective, then you would crash anyway.

On startup Cura still loads the names and some other metadata if all defined printers, but no longer all the settings, profiles and materials associated with all of the defined printers.

Thats why it stll crashes on broken definitions, when it tries to read the definition for the name metadata.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

On startup Cura still loads the names and some other metadata if all defined printers, but no longer all the settings, profiles and materials associated with all of the defined printers.

Thats why it stll crashes on broken definitions, when it tries to read the definition for the name metadata.

Thanks for clearing up this for at least my understanding.

If you are interested, Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Beta was just released :) Here is a link to the post with some more information! 

Hi SandervG.

Thanks for the info. I will try this new release of Cura.

I have an scad design of a cable chain link that Cura doesn't seem to be able to lay flat.  I fired up a calculator and wrote some code to rotate and flatten it and it works fine.

Not complaining, but Cura 3.3.1 had a hell of a time dealing with footprinting this shape.  What I can do is offer it up for testing purposes. 

Lines 87 and 88 are commented out, these are the lines that rotate and flatten the model.  It prints fine with those, without it the model does not flatten once rotated.  It seems to but the print fails and it's obvious by the footprint that we aren't on the same wavelength!

Hmm, I can't upload an scad file, if I don't do that you lose the metrics.  Let me know if you want the design and how I can send it to you.

Thanks for making this excellent software available.