Don't open 3mf files from Paint3D

erodriguez

Posted · Don't open 3mf files from Paint3D

Hello,

First of all, I'am a teenager teacher and TICs supervisor in a Primary and high school in Leioa, next Bilbao. We are new in the 3dPrinter world. And I'am looking for programs for work with 5-6 primary grades... I have shown that Paint3D is very easy and It perfect for our children. After done a little 3d objects and save as 3mf file, the cura doesn't open it... and I don't know why... I tray with preinstaled Paint3D objetc too... but nothing...

Any Idea?

I showed too, that Paint3D has a option to print, but you have to have the printer connected to teh computer and that is'nt our case.

Thanks!!!

prueba.3mf

Posted (edited) · Don't open 3mf files from Paint3D

I have never tried to open 3mf files in Cura, so I'm not sure if this is supported (some one else will probably reply with more details)

However, what you can always do is convert the 3mf into STL using 3D builder: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/store/p/3d-builder/9wzdncrfj3t6

Next, you can open the STL in Cura

It's an extra step, but that should work.

Edited by pbackx
    • Like 1

Doesn't Paint3D have an export option to save as STL-file? First save in the native format, so you don't lose the design. Then export to STL if that options exists.

Otherwise, in addition to converting, you might also want to try other simple CAD programs? Maybe Tinkercad? I haven't tried it yet, but I heard that some schools use it. Maybe other programs too?

For kids of +10y, you might try DesignSpark Mechanical. It is more technically oriented, but still very easy to learn. And there exist a lot of good tutorial videos.

Google or Youtube for these programs, and watch a few demos, to see if they appeal to you, and to the kids.

9 hours ago, erodriguez said:

After done a little 3d objects and save as 3mf file, the cura doesn't open it...

I tried it, and Cura opens your file without problems...

...but the 3D object is not little, it's extreme small - only 0.4mm - so it's a bit hard to locate on the screen.... :sunglass:

Here is how it looks like, if i scale it up by 10000% or so...:

prueba.png

• Like 1

Thanks!!!

Yours ideas and help are very useful, especially the last one :):)  Now I have to investigate how to save (or make) the objetc in paint3D bigger than that :)

THANKS AGAIN TO ALL OF YOU!!