question about scaling an object inside cura 3.1

grue

Posted · question about scaling an object inside cura 3.1

hello. new user to cura.  so i have a door detail that i am trying to print, it shows fine in the model view, but layer view it mostly disappears.  - this is when the stl file is opened in cura directly.  if i scale that model up in xyz in cura, would that detail become visible since it is larger, or do i have to make it larger in my 3d software then reexport as an stl and reopen in cura.

thanks!

Hello, welcome to the forms. :)

The thing to keep in mind is that it can only 'sample' the height of a layer or about twice the width of a line width accurately. This based on the Nyquist frequency. So enlarging the model can throw it out of scale overall. But if you can 'beef' up the details a bit, it can help.

thank you!  tons of great reading here!

oh boy, so scaling up a lot can introduce got it. didn't think of that, but yeah makes total sense.  so it's probably important that i figure out a way to get my stl create so that it comes into cura at a reasonable size according to the size i want to print it.  i model in 1 unit = 1 inch so that will take some extra preparation.

yeah, i see what you mean then also about beef up the details - fudge it! :)

yep...fudge it. You will develop a feel for how to fake the system out as you go along and gain experience. But it is a balance between time to print and when to demonstrate the results. I look forward to seeing the things you come up with :)

Also, keep in mind that when you do have to get into the really tight stuff, there are other nozzle options other than the 0.4.

Posted (edited) · question about scaling an object inside cura 3.1

Layer view is perfect to see what will be printed and what is not.

For a locomotive cabin for example i had to rotate 45 degree left-wright and then another 45 degree front- back to print small details.

the cabin look like a balerina in preview.

Maybe that help.

Load the stl and play with rotate.

LDH_1250_H0_Cabina_Walls.stl

Edited by Gigi
    • Like 1

Posted (edited) · question about scaling an object inside cura 3.1

kman and gigi thanks for replies, sorry for late response.  great points!

kman yeah i started figuring that is the case, just like rendering an animation, trade between time and detail/quality.  nice to have confirmation.  sometimes i can be real picky!  i did notice my cr10s came with a different and smaller nozzle! .2mm i think.

gigi thank you, i will check put your model and now that ypu say that, I will play with the model of a building i am printing right now.  

so does the preview always show accurately?  for example i have a building with window frames (these are mullions which in this case are vertical frames, single line inreal life are 2.5in wide by however tall that i had to scale up about 3x their width in order to get them to print, well the bottom where it sits on a window sill, sometimes doest show up in the layer preview.  like the very bottom, 5 layers about whereas the rest of its 50 layers donahow up.

Edited by grue

If you put on the smaller nozzle, you can make the line width say just about half that amount and it would bump up your sampling rate.