Outer Wall Issues when Scaling

AntonMarinski

Posted · Outer Wall Issues when Scaling

Most likely that thicker region is in the original model.  Maybe.

When looking at "layer view" please change your line color to be "line type" as then it's easier to see what is "outer" wall, what is "inner" wall and what is infill.  Although of course this is probably all outer wall.

In cura - just above the "quality" section - enter "line width" as the search term.  Look at:

wall line width

outer wall line width

inner wall(s) line width

Set all of those to the same value and play with the value.  Assuming your nozzle is 0.4, try values like 0.3 0.35 0.39 0.2 and so on.  I think you can find a combination that makes this go away.

Oh and the 0.4 nozzles print pretty well from line widths of around 0.6 down to about 0.2.  But if you overprint (print line widths wider than the nozzle) then you have to slow things down a lot.  The quality will certainly be better at 0.3 than at 0.5 for a 0.4 nozzle.  Similarly for other nozzle sizes - you can print down to about half the nozzle size and up to about double (barely).  This practice works much better than most people expect.

28 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Oh and the 0.4 nozzles print pretty well from line widths of around 0.6 down to about 0.2.  But if you overprint (print line widths wider than the nozzle) then you have to slow things down a lot.  The quality will certainly be better at 0.3 than at 0.5 for a 0.4 nozzle.  Similarly for other nozzle sizes - you can print down to about half the nozzle size and up to about double (barely).  This practice works much better than most people expect.

I have never even thought about changing the line widths :D. I guess you were right. Anyway, for that thing to disappear the line width has to be around 0.2mm. Strange. No idea why it appears in the first place. I'll try different settings and see what happens. Thanks for the info! Cheers!

3 hours ago, gr5 said:

Turned out great! Thanks!

Did you print at 0.2mm?  That's kind of at the extreme.  I think it's something in your model - some floating point rounding error somewhere or something.

3 hours ago, gr5 said:

Did you print at 0.2mm?  That's kind of at the extreme.  I think it's something in your model - some floating point rounding error somewhere or something.

Printed it at 0.3mm, due to your recommendations. Well, it technically isn't my model. I just scaled it down to fit my needs... I did make some changes in SketchUp (I haven't moved on to better programs). This isn't the first issue while using SketchUp, so I am starting to thing that it's the problem.

Oh sketchup has major issues.  It is designed to make things look good but not actually be printable (manifold).  But if you have been using it for over 100 hours you might want to stick to sketchup and double down (I switched to DSM - design spark mechanical but it took me about a year before I could do stuff without thinking and let my fingers just do their thing).

sketchup is not great at making 3d models but you can do it if you follow these tips:
    https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/

from labern: When using sketchup always use these 2 plugins:
    cleanup3 (may be 4 now)
    Solid inspector.

Both of these plugins remove any problems with the model unseen by the eye and turn it into a solid model.

2 hours ago, gr5 said:

Oh sketchup has major issues.  It is designed to make things look good but not actually be printable (manifold).  But if you have been using it for over 100 hours you might want to stick to sketchup and double down (I switched to DSM - design spark mechanical but it took me about a year before I could do stuff without thinking and let my fingers just do their thing).

sketchup is not great at making 3d models but you can do it if you follow these tips:
    https://i.materialise.com/blog/3d-printing-with-sketchup/

from labern: When using sketchup always use these 2 plugins:
    cleanup3 (may be 4 now)
    Solid inspector.

Both of these plugins remove any problems with the model unseen by the eye and turn it into a solid model.

I'll have a look. I have wanted to switch for a while now, but I just don't know what to choose. I'm relatively new to the 3D modelling world. What would you recommend?