Support for sharp points facing down

opy01

Posted (edited) · Support for sharp points facing down

I've done a lot of experimenting with supports and I love all the settings that can make them better.  There are 2 models I've tried to print that have sharp points hanging down and a support tower is made to start those points.  The problem is when the print area starts at the top of the support, there is a 1 mm dab of filament starting the print area at the top of the support then the print gets larger and larger with nothing but that 1 mm piece holding it.  Before that part can connect to the rest of the print area (maybe 1/4" or less up) it breaks off that 1 mm piece holding it to the tower.  In the attached photos you can see the tower with the pointy part on it.  On the third photo you can see where it joins the other pointy part that barely has anything holding it.  This is not the only model I have this issue on.  On a different model, if I get to it on time, I can put a dab of super glue and kicker on there and it has a stronger support to hold it and the superglue pops right off with the support at the end of the print.  This (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:582834) is what I'm trying to print, but scaled up 245%.  Any help is appreciated. 

example1.jpg

example2.jpg

example3.jpg

Edited by opy01

Posted · Support for sharp points facing down

I'm far from any pro, but I've used things like support inflate distance and support upper layer to help with things like that, in short you want support further up than just at the tip.

Another option is to add some to the object itself. 

On 2/10/2018 at 12:27 PM, opy01 said:

I've done a lot of experimenting with supports and I love all the settings that can make them better.  There are 2 models I've tried to print that have sharp points hanging down and a support tower is made to start those points.  The problem is when the print area starts at the top of the support, there is a 1 mm dab of filament starting the print area at the top of the support then the print gets larger and larger with nothing but that 1 mm piece holding it.  Before that part can connect to the rest of the print area (maybe 1/4" or less up) it breaks off that 1 mm piece holding it to the tower.  In the attached photos you can see the tower with the pointy part on it.  On the third photo you can see where it joins the other pointy part that barely has anything holding it.  This is not the only model I have this issue on.  On a different model, if I get to it on time, I can put a dab of super glue and kicker on there and it has a stronger support to hold it and the superglue pops right off with the support at the end of the print.  This (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:582834) is what I'm trying to print, but scaled up 245%.  Any help is appreciated. 

example1.jpg

example2.jpg

example3.jpg

What slicer are you using?

39 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

What slicer are you using?

I'm using Cura 3.2.  

49 minutes ago, AbeFM said:

I'm far from any pro, but I've used things like support inflate distance and support upper layer to help with things like that, in short you want support further up than just at the tip.

Another option is to add some to the object itself. 

I went ahead and made my own support and it works perfect!

17 minutes ago, opy01 said:

I'm using Cura 3.2.  

I went ahead and made my own support and it works perfect!

Cool beenie weenies :)

This is what I designed to hold those pieces in place.  It works great!

6D3745A3-3E0D-4E49-92FC-1E2FF1559C6C.jpeg

It looks like a foot stool! I am glad you found a solution and shared it. :+1::)

It was a bucket, but then I realized I couldn’t see when the tip was touching so I took out 4 sides so I could see position.  The tip touches the bottom and the rods going through keep it stable when printing.

Roger that! :+1: