New to 3D printing

OOC

Posted · New to 3D printing

Not sure if this is the correct area to post this. I am new here. Very sorry if it’s not.

Hello all,

I am new to 3D printing. I bought a Prusa MK2 i3 last year and have had nothing but trouble with it. I have been researching the UM3extended for the last 2 months. I have a few questions.

1) Is the extended worth the extra money?

2) Can you make any decent money 3D printing with this machine or is this more for hobby and have fun? The reason I ask is because I’m trying to get my son involved into something that he can learn, make money at, and to possibly start up a small business with. He currently builds stuff in Blender and loves it.

Thank you all very much for your time.

John

Posted · New to 3D printing
    2 hours ago, OOC said:

I don't think so.  It would be better if it was a wide printer, not a tall printer.

2 hours ago, OOC said:

2) Can you make any decent money 3D printing with this machine or is this more for hobby and have fun? The reason I ask is because I’m trying to get my son involved into something that he can learn, make money at, and to possibly start up a small business with. He currently builds stuff in Blender and loves it.

Better to make things that people need (say a vent replacement for a particular brand of car or knob for a particular brand of stove - my sister in law needed 4 new ones at $70 each - wow - I made ones just as good for almost no money) and sell them on ebay.  Being a 3d printing hub is also possible (or used to be possible) at 3dhubs.com.  Lately though it's a lot more work to become a hub so I'm not sure that's a good route.

Another good route to make money is to design plastic and metal jewelry (think of ear rings shaped like dolphins) and sell it on shapeways which will do the actual printing and shipping to customers but you still need a 3d printer to test out your designs (well - it helps).

Posted (edited) · New to 3D printing
    2 hours ago, OOC said:

Not sure if this is the correct area to post this. I am new here. Very sorry if it’s not.

Hello all,

I am new to 3D printing. I bought a Prusa MK2 i3 last year and have had nothing but trouble with it. I have been researching the UM3extended for the last 2 months. I have a few questions.

Thank you all very much for your time.

John

I am going to say that the UM3Extended was worth it to me. The extra height has made a world of difference to me as I design tall things and would actually like to be taller. Wider would be a major plus, but I definitely need the height.

Learning how to print can be very interesting because there are many parts to it:

• 3D Design
    • Programming
      • Software (Cura, etc)
      • Firmware
      • G-Code modification
    • Materials science

But I got the printer I got (UM3X) because of the added height and have purchased a second one.

Whatever printer you buy though could be beneficial because even if it cannot turn itself into a business, it is a rising technology and does open many doors for employment in several areas as mentioned above.

Sometimes it is not about the immediate money, but the investment in learning new things and ways to do things. Who knows what doors it could open in his head? Or, who knows how much he will not even be interested.

I think @gr5 has a point about selling designs, but that is opening the door for 3D design possibilities. As I said, it can go in many directions.

As for the height issues and added expense, if all he would want to do is make small things, then yes, it is a waste of money for you. But that is up to the both of you.

Edit: Oh yeah, the one thing that 3D printing offers is it will be beneficial for things that require 'one-offs' vs mass production. A one off would be a robotic part for a prosthetic piece, or the whole prosthetic piece itself. That is a customized object. It can be good for making the masters for mass production and rapid prototyping. Say a new design for a spray bottle, or a new design for a specialty item that can then be molded and made ready for mass production. It is a world of opportunities.

But, no matter what, you really need to know if your son is actually invested in the idea. If you are looking to spur his interest, you may want to go cheaper and let him tinker a bit more. Something to spark the imagination rather than push it.

Edited by kmanstudios