Architektur - Wrap 3D shape

Giuseppe Nagler

Posted · Architektur - Wrap 3D shape

English:

is there a 3D flood feature? i.e. e.g. wrapping a building or a 3D shape with a volume? My problem is: I have planned a house in AECOSim, I would like to use a 3D printer to make a model in scale 1: 200 or 1: 500; but I'm not interested in inner partitions, ceilings, etc., but the inner cavities should be filled so that the 3D printer creates a "full" model that shows me the exterior of the house nicely. If I print the complete detailed house, with partitions, etc., the printer needs too much time, support material and I do not need such a detailed model, but I do not want to model the whole thing again. Does anyone know a solution? I would like to cast a kind of "negative" around the house, make a "positive" out of it, export an STL and then print it in 3D.

German:

gibt's eine Funktion zum 3D-fluten? d.h. z.B. ein Gebäude oder eine 3D Form mit einem Volumen einzuhüllen? mein Problem ist: ich habe in AECOSim ein Haus geplant, möchte mit einem 3D-Drucker daraus ein Modell im Massstab 1:200 oder 1:500 machen; dabei interessieren mich aber innere Trennwände, Decken usw. nicht, aber die inneren Hohlräume sollten gefüllt werden, damit der 3D-Drucker ein "volles" Modell erstellt, das mir das Äußere des Hauses schön zeigt. Wenn ich das komplette detaillierte Haus, mit Trennwänden usw. drucke braucht der Drucker viel zu viel Zeit, Stützmaterial und ich brauche kein so detailliertes Modell, will aber auch nicht das Ganze neu modellieren. Weiß jemand eine Lösung?  Ich möchte um das Haus eine Art "Negativ" giessen, daraus ein "Positiv" machen, ein STL exportieren und es dann in 3D drucken. 

image.thumb.png.519e6c905769c6fbe8df06529e22360d.png

@Giuseppe Nagler You published your post in our 'international/global' part of the forum, where the main language is English. Could you write your next post in English as well? That way everyone can understand it who uses this part of the forums. If your English is not sufficient or if you just prefer to write in Deutsch, we also have a German forum. Feel free to use one/both of the forums for your questions. Thank you for understanding, and I hope to hear more from you! 

As you say, what about making a negative, and then again positive of it?

Maybe it could be done as follows? First make a copy of the design, and only work on that copy, so you do not destroy the original. Then make sure your house has no gaps: so no open windows, no open doors, no open chimneys; all must be nicely closed. Put a box around your house, a bit larger than the house. Subtract the house from the box. This will give a complex thing, since all interior details will also be subtracted. But you also have the negative shell. Move the negative shell (box) out of the way, and keep it. Delete all the rest. Now you have only the negative shell, not the interior anymore. Make another box of the same size. Subtract the negative shell from the new box. And there you have a positive house in one solid block. Print with some infill as desired for mechanical strength.

If your software supports it, maybe an easier way would be to fill everything: select all, or select the shell, press "Fill", and hops, you have one big solid. Might work with some 3D-packages?

Fehler bei der Übersetzunghello thank you very much for the advice;
    I have already asked the software company of my CAD program if there is a function to do it automatically; I'm still waiting for an answer if AECOSim Building Designer has the tool;
    The ideal would be to lay a kind of skin over the model and to generate the shape from it;

I write as soon as I have solved the problem;

I was just wondering why you cannot just turn off layers in your main cad package when you output for print. Am I missing something?

The problem is not to position elements in different levels, but to fill the cavities of the building unnecessarily with support material and I seek a method that makes the whole thing easy and quick; I do not want to have to model the building into simple shapes, if I have already modeled it in great detail, but I do not need that definition on a scale of 1: 200 or 1: 500;

I think that the sampling of such small details would make them disappear. If I am understanding you. I may be getting this wrong.

Now for basic interior support, If you have a floor, walls and roof with closed windows and doors, I would think it would not fill, but use its stitching feature to combine the specific components I mention into a perceived solid and just input infill.

If you could kick out one simple building with just those components as an STL file, I would love to check that out.

But, again, I may be missing the point after all. That would not surprise me.....

this house for examplepepetest-02.stl

and that's what it looks like in Cura 3.0.4 

image.thumb.png.9838fb6c20dbb4850622b67588616e03.png

I am going to look at the file you put out. But did you generate that from a CAD package? Just looking at the screenshot, it seems the layers (if they are separate) for the internal walls and such are still on. Basically an extruded 2D floor plan.

That would make things more difficult as it would not put doors and windows in like a 3D Package like Revit would.

Hi, I work with Bentley AECOSim Building Designer and I'm in pure 3D mode

OK...I am not familiar with that. But the reason I can see (again, only looking at the screen shot as I am finishing up something else) is that you have voids in place of the doors and such. i could be wrong and will check out the file this afternoon my time. I have a morning appointment and moving quickly to finish what I am working on right now. Hope that is not too late for you.

Thank you very much for your efforts; I'm not in a hurry

Best regards

Cool beenie weinies :)

Hi

I have done quite a large amount of printing from AECOSim and unfortunately there is no easy way to get just the skin. 

I had a quick look at your stl. and it's pretty good. I think you might be able to get it to work if you make sure all of the openings are closed, at the moment there is a gap above your 'garage door', the roof light/skylight is open and so is the chimney. 

Once these are closed you could try 'remove all holes' and 'extensive stitching' (both under Mesh fixes on Cura). This normally works well.

• Like 1

Oh thank you
    I'll try it

hi, I can't find 'remove all holes' and 'extensive stitching'

I have Ultimaker Cura 3.0.4 installed

image.thumb.png.cacb25d3f8c1a3d4fe55ab48e169335c.png

I'm using 3.2.0 and it's here:

I don't think it was a new feature, but maybe try searching for 'remove all holes'

mesh fixes.JPG

I see @PaulMiles already got you the proper info :) I just got home so this was good to see.

For some reason, Cura does not see my windows and doors, leaving openings in the outer shell; can it be that they are too thin? 

image.thumb.png.84c8d1615e7b01c4b5056d4b34902fe0.png

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Nagler said:

For some reason, Cura does not see my windows and doors, leaving openings in the outer shell; can it be that they are too thin? 

image.thumb.png.84c8d1615e7b01c4b5056d4b34902fe0.png

That would be my first guess.

you could try turning on 'print thin walls' found under shell tab in cura

Ok, but I'm planning my projects 1:1 and also windows and doors are in my CAD model in the real thickness. I also make all layouts and sections for 2D plotting from the 3D model, so it would not be appropriate to model them thicker.