perplex

How to fix printing blobs?

Posted · How to fix printing blobs?

Grab meshmixer from Autodesk for free and you can use that to intelligently repair and decimate. You can also use Netfabb. But probably there are export resolution settings you can adjust for fewer polys and a similar printed result. Check the filesize of your STL and if it is really large, this is possibly having an effect.

10 hours ago, mattgriffin said:

Grab meshmixer from Autodesk for free and you can use that to intelligently repair and decimate. You can also use Netfabb. But probably there are export resolution settings you can adjust for fewer polys and a similar printed result. Check the filesize of your STL and if it is really large, this is possibly having an effect.

ill have a look at meshmixer.

the file size is 2.16mb for a print of about 1 meter of filament 1.75mm (20-30mins print) im not sure if thats big or not for what it is

that is not big. The check is opening it in meshlab, meshmixer, and checking the density of the triangles. If it is just black with tight triangles everywhere, you might not need that much resolution assigned to that geometry (so it might be introducing more lines of gcode to process than you need). If not, the problem is elsewhere.

Matt

5 minutes ago, mattgriffin said:

that is not big. The check is opening it in meshlab, meshmixer, and checking the density of the triangles. If it is just black with tight triangles everywhere, you might not need that much resolution assigned to that geometry (so it might be introducing more lines of gcode to process than you need). If not, the problem is elsewhere.

Matt

im not sure what you mean by check the density of the triangles

the image looks like this

testfile.JPG

1 hour ago, perplex said:

im not sure what you mean by check the density of the triangles

the image looks like this

testfile.JPG

That does not look right. Is there no way to show the actual wireframe? But that looks a bit fubar to me.

Posted (edited) · How to fix printing blobs?

I would have to say that if Inventor is being used then I would not worry about decimating. I use Solidworks and of course the two are the two leading software companies, arch enemies I guess, with a lot of similarities  and attention to engineering and quality. We have not had one problem from Solidworks in the 5 years we have been using it and I would expect Autodesk to be the same.

Edited by yellowshark
Correct Autodesk's name