Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
AbeFM

Tree Support Roof?

I'm really liking the tree supports.

I've mentioned how they are rough and this leads to vibrations in printing.

I had another thought - it would be nice to get a roof layer, like standard supports. Some of my prints have a little drooping and look like the bottom of a ceiling support.

Basically a small inverted pyramid or similar widening at the top to enclose the first x-degrees of slope (or mm of width, etc).

Is this something worth thinking about/implementable? 

I've continued to have issues with tree supports, I can set the angle lower, and get a few points which KIND of help the object, but end up with poor surfaces on small spheres.

Is there something I'm missing? Can I help in some way to define a feature which would be reasonable to attempt to include?

Ideas are welcome, sure. The bad overhang quality on flat horizontal surfaces is one of the biggest concerns right now.

There is a sort of hard-coded shape in the tree support at the top of each branch: As you go up towards the tip, the circular branch gets flattened in one direction so that the circle becomes an ellipsis which approaches a line towards the tip. We can make that any shape we want. Currently we reduce the width of the circle with an angle of 45 degrees. We could make the ellipsis longer at the same rate or something (one idea that I've been meaning to try out some time).

I'd ask for a small cone, which maintains separation from the surface by x-y, z spacing... but basically it seems (from the outside looking in) that you could use the "roof" that you would for standard supports.

I can draw some ideas but I doubt they'd be helpful? Anyway, a roof is what I think they need, because they are otherwise truly Glorious. Some of my bigger/crazier prints are faster/cheaper/easier-to-clean than before.