UM2+: Huge blob + grinding at end of print

Blizz

Posted · UM2+: Huge blob + grinding at end of print

Think there might be something wrong mechanically with your printer then... I'm using 3.2 as well and apart from the blob things print as nicely as ever. 

On topic: Just went back tot the firmware included with 3.1 and now testing a new print, hopefully the blob is no more.

Hey Pieter. I also was left a little dumbfounded when the blob and the grinding appeared... however going back to Cura 3.1 everything solved itself and I am a happy camper again. I did upgrade the filament feeder to sanjui as my machine is a very high time used one with more than 9200 hours printing time on it. Try to go back and the problem will sort itself. Maybe there is some filament dust in the feeder. Mine also had the problem that the primary plastic gear (the one on the stepper motor was worn on the inside slipping somewhat) I just recently got myself the solex 3d head with the stainless steel race nozzles and that boosted precision and speed like crazy. Dunno if that comment helps you... Don't despair, I guess we still have the greatest machine on the market!

Posted (edited) · UM2+: Huge blob + grinding at end of print

@Blizz I keep my fingers crossed for you that the problem sorts itself out after that like it did for me! BTW I didn't do anything with the firmware Just downgrading Cura did the trick. Cheers Kurt

Edited by Bienenstocker

This is known bug in 3.2.1.  3 bugs combined to create this issue.  There are many work arounds - one of which is to add 256 or more characters in comments at the bottom of the file.  one is to downgrade.  more details here just a few posts above your post.  Cura 3.1 should be fine.

I reverted to Cura-3.1 and things worked out fine. Not impressed with this whole upgrade to 3.2 process, which took me several hours to sort out.

Not being a geek I don't want to mess with adding code-lines, and shouldn't have to.....

I don't mean to gripe and grumble, but I genuinely wonder how this bug could have slipped the beta version? 3.2.beta already had it, after all.

Maybe like me, the beta testers had a different version of firmware on their UM2s (I have tinkerMarlin).

No, I think it's rather a matter of not enough time to test with all combinations of printers, nozzles, etc. Because of this we're seriously re-evaluating our plan for testing products in the maintenance-state of development (such as currently UM2+). That shouldn't have slipped through.

• Like 3

On my Ultimaker 2+ getting the same blob at the end of prints as others, just started with the 3.2.1 linux app image.

hey rhaywood. Go back to Cura 3.1 for now. Problem should be solved. All the best Kurt

In the meanwhile we've also actually fixed this bug in the firmware. You can get a new hex file here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/cura-binary-data/tree/master/cura/resources/firmware

Or you could use the previous workaround: Put at least 512 bytes of comments in the end g-code of your printer.

Both should be in the Cura 3.3 release (the workaround is still in there for people who didn't update their firmware).

Posted (edited) · UM2+: Huge blob + grinding at end of print
    On 3/19/2018 at 1:25 PM, ghostkeeper said:

In the meanwhile we've also actually fixed this bug in the firmware. You can get a new hex file here: https://github.com/Ultimaker/cura-binary-data/tree/master/cura/resources/firmware

Stupid question: how doI get the new firmware into the machine? Couldn't find a "howto" *|

Edited by Tafelspitz
    • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tafelspitz said:

Stupid question: how doI get the new firmware into the machine? Couldn't find a "howto" *|

That's not a stupid question! ;)

You download one of these .hex files to your computer. Then you open up Cura and connect your computer to your printer with a USB cable. Then in Cura you click on your printer's name in the top-right, go to "Manage Printers...". Then click on "Upgrade Firmware" and select "Upload custom firmware". Then you should be able to select the .hex file you downloaded and it'll upload that firmware.

I don't know if it's documented somewhere on this website. If not, there should be some how-to somewhere I guess (though uploading custom firmware is fairly advanced).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tafelspitz said:

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/40526-updating-the-firmware > Make sure to select 'custom' firmware like ghostkeeper said.

Or wait for Cura 3.3 and upload the default firmware.

Thank you guys! :+1:

I recently upgraded to the latest firmware on my UM2+ in order to gain the ability to print TPU for quadcopters. It prints great (love this!), but I immediately noticed a big blob on my prints. Switching back to PLA, there's that blob again. Is there a workaround short of waiting for Cura 3.3?

8 hours ago, createthis said:

I recently upgraded to the latest firmware on my UM2+ in order to gain the ability to print TPU for quadcopters. It prints great (love this!), but I immediately noticed a big blob on my prints. Switching back to PLA, there's that blob again. Is there a workaround short of waiting for Cura 3.3?

Two workarounds, depending on how technical you are. Choose one:

1. Download this file: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ultimaker/cura-binary-data/master/cura/resources/firmware/MarlinUltimaker2plus.hex And then upload it via Cura by going to the machine manager, click Upgrade Firmware then Upload Custom Firmware and select that hex file (also connect via USB first).
    2. Or go to the machine manager, click Machine Settings, and then paste the following text in the "end g-code" field:

;Version _2.6 of the firmware can abort the print too early if the file ends

;too soon. However if the file hasn't ended yet because there are comments at

;the end of the file, it won't abort yet. Therefore we have to put at least 512

;bytes at the end of the g-code so that the file is not yet finished by the

;time that the motion planner gets flushed. With firmware version _3.3 this

;should be fixed, so this comment wouldn't be necessary any more. Now we have

;to pad this text to make precisely 512 bytes.

5 hours ago, ghostkeeper said:

Two workarounds, depending on how technical you are. Choose one:

1. Download this file: https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Ultimaker/cura-binary-data/master/cura/resources/firmware/MarlinUltimaker2plus.hex And then upload it via Cura by going to the machine manager, click Upgrade Firmware then Upload Custom Firmware and select that hex file (also connect via USB first).
    2. Or go to the machine manager, click Machine Settings, and then paste the following text in the "end g-code" field:

I installed 3.3-beta last night and that seems to have resolved the problem.

I have tried all of the techniques mentioned and I still get the Grinding and Blob at the end of my program.  I have upgraded firmware to 3.3.0 on the UM2 and am running Cura 3.4.1 for windows.  Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Tony

I would add the 512 character comment at the bottom of a gcode file to see if that helps.  There is a sample one 3 posts above this post.  Are you using cura?  S3D?  Other?  How many characters of comments are at the bottom of the generated gcode file?

MIt is already in the program.  This is how the end of the program posts:

;Version _2.6 of the firmware can abort the print too early if the file ends

;too soon. However if the file hasn't ended yet because there are comments at

;the end of the file, it won't abort yet. Therefore we have to put at least 512

;bytes at the end of the g-code so that the file is not yet finished by the

;time that the motion planner gets flushed. With firmware version _3.3 this

;should be fixed, so this comment wouldn't be necessary any more. Now we have

;to pad this text to make precisely 512 bytes.

;Comment to stop blob and grinding

M25; Stop reading from this point

I have tried every combination.  With and without the M25, also with and without the Comment.

Tony