UM3 Firmware manual levelling

3dcase

Posted (edited) · UM3 Firmware manual levelling

oh oohw now I'm lost.

How to get in touch with the firmware people at Ultimaker.

Easy to do 5 years ago with 10 employees.

I have a remark/change/Bug/suggestion for the UM3 firmware....

Perhaps I am totally wrong.

But when I use the manual levelling procedure from the setting menu, I end up with loose

or un-tensioned springs, 

I describe my steps by heart.

1- use the wheel knob to set a 1mm clearance, rear/rightfront/leftfront.

2- use the card on the back, turn the buildplate screw ( Loosening the spring),

repeated for rightfront leftfront..........

Easy to do! 

But after a few times of levelling me ( and when I don't  tell them, my student's)  end up with loose springs..

Messy!!

Let's say the card is 0.4mm thick, each time of manual levelling the springs are 0.6mm unscrewed.

Perhaps the onscreen procedure could be changed a little...

use the wheel/knob to do the first rear measurement (like with the second printhead )

Or skip the 1mm part in all??

It's hard to tell people to NOT follow the procedure every now and then....

Regards Kees

Edited by 3dcase

Posted · UM3 Firmware manual levelling

Hello Kees (sounds Dutch?),

The problem here I think is that when you keep only doing the step one as you describe (rotating the wheel) to move the bed and then loosening up the screws all the time, you will end up with all screws indeed being unscrewed. Or at least, that might happen.

May I suggest the following.

1.  Only do manual leveling when it's really necessary. Try to rely on the automatic procedure after doing it (maybe once a month or so).
    2. Before doing the manual leveling... tighten the screws completely so the springs are really compressed. This goes for all 3 of them (2 front left and right and the one in the middle at the back)
    3. Then loosen up all screws like a complete 1/2 or 1 full rotation
    4. Perform the normal manual leveling as described in https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/23127-build-plate-leveling

Hope this helps you with doing the manual leveling.

Posted · UM3 Firmware manual levelling
    7 hours ago, Marco_TvM said:

Hello Kees (sounds Dutch?),

The problem here I think is that when you keep only doing the step one as you describe (rotating the wheel) to move the bed and then loosening up the screws all the time, you will end up with all screws indeed being unscrewed. Or at least, that might happen.

May I suggest the following.

1.  Only do manual leveling when it's really necessary. Try to rely on the automatic procedure after doing it (maybe once a month or so).
    2. Before doing the manual leveling... tighten the screws completely so the springs are really compressed. This goes for all 3 of them (2 front left and right and the one in the middle at the back)
    3. Then loosen up all screws like a complete 1/2 or 1 full rotation
    4. Perform the normal manual leveling as described in https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/23127-build-plate-leveling

Hope this helps you with doing the manual leveling.

Heehj Marco,

is Dutch ;)

Well i guess, what you suggest is what i do.

my only suggestion was to change the onscreen menu and the manual a little bit.

Its hard to explain People to not follow the manual every now and then.

My Machines are running on auto levelling, but each time you change a printhead, you have to do a manual levelling.

changing printheads is a couple of times a week....