Cura Connect | Survey Read more... ×
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Morandir

Request New Infill: Vaulted Infill Type

I was very excited to see the "Infill Steps" feature that would allow the infill to be reduced as you get away from top/bottom surfaces.  The factor of 2 reduction is quite abrupt, and causes a lot of printing in the air to occur.  For a long time I've wanted an infill that would split and grow to transition from a very sparse density to a very filled layer and always be supported underneath.  The image in my head was that of the Divinity School in Oxford, the Vaulted Ceiling:

DivinitySchool-L.thumb.jpg.88d1ddcad46514544bc04b7a39e7cc97.jpg     02-VAULTS-Flexibility-2-web.thumb.jpg.0375d114b219831ae8e9aeea09b332d3.jpg

A quick mock-up of how a vaulted unit cell might look something as shown below.  The vaulted sections could then split again and create a denser layer that is supported beneath at all times with low overhang.

ValutedInfill.thumb.png.1284445eeae83908afbf71069f0716f1.png      VaultedFill.thumb.jpg.a04355064aa30a4021376daa04dfacfb.jpg     

RecVault.thumb.jpg.815a5056bf9df99d21aaa1ed6bd5970a.jpg

Vaulting could recursively be used to transition between the top/bottom surfaces and a very low infill volume.  Just like architects have been doing for ages.  I'm a big fan of cubic-subdivision and I think it would be interesting to see if that infill type could use the recursive-split vaulted features to allow increased vertical strength and reduced infill density. 

Finally felt the need to speak up and put my thoughts out there for the community.  Does anyone think this could get some traction?  I'm sure the programming team wants more on their plate to do....

Thanks for considering.

Edited by Morandir