Print cylinder wall with concentric lines only

UltiChris

Posted (edited) · Print cylinder wall with concentric lines only

I want to print a cylinder (well, actually it is a heart, but a cylinder shows the same issue) with transparent material.

I have an Ultimaker2 with a 0.4mm nozzle and have Cura 3.2.1 and the older version Cura 15.04.6 installed

The wall thickness of the model is 1.6 mm

I would like to have 4 parallel layers in horizontal direction, i.e. 4 concentric circles. However, I get always some internal linear patterns which causes a twofold problem: First the cylinder looks uneven, the transparency is very different depending from what side I look. Second the material (HDGlass from FormFutura doesn't like retraction and moving the print head around the stringing is not the big problem, but the adhesion is sometimes bad after a move. Without retraction the look is sometimes very bad, because material is collected at the nozzle and deposited on the print at arbitrary positions.

I have experimented with wall thickness, I have set it to 0.8 which I think should do the job, I have set it to 1.2 and 1.6.

In a different approach I have set the Wall Line Count to 2 and 3, which both show the same layer preview as shown in the attached image. At a Wall Line Count of 4 the layer preview is empty.

Until recently I have worked only with the old cura version, Cura 3.2.1 is pretty new for me.

Any idea how to get 4 parallel wall lines?

nonConcentricWalls.png

Edited by UltiChris

Posted · Print cylinder wall with concentric lines only

In old Cura versions you could set the wall thickness to for example 5mm (at least more than your walls), and that would give the desired behaviour. I haven't used recent versions yet, but I think it should also be there somewhere?

I found a way with my old cura: I have to set the shell thickness to a non-multiple of the nozzle size. Unfortunately this doesn't work with the new Cura, which is a pity, because I want to use ironing - which isn't available in the old version

circularPathCylinder.png

I think you can do this with the new cura as well (cura 2.X, 3.X).  You have to set infill to 0% and play with line widths (all of them - there are a few) and of course set wall thickness to a large value like you already did.  Basically it's a lot of experimenting with wall widths and maybe also set flow to more than 100% - maybe 110%.

I was not successful with the line width but finally "concentric infill" did the trick.

How do I mark the topic as solved?

• Like 1

You can mark it as resolved by editing your first post and adding the 'solved' tag.

On 3/12/2018 at 2:43 PM, UltiChris said:

How do I mark the topic as solved?

I just marked it.

@Brulti - I'm a moderator so I don't know what it's like for regular users.  I have to add the tag "solved" but *also* I have to make it a "prefix tag" so it shows up in the title in an obvious way both here and in the listing of all topics.  Do you have the ability to do this on your own topics (prefix)?

@gr5 I do not see a way to 'prefix' a tag on my topics. There is no option for it. I've added the 'Solved' tag there:

It appears in the tag lists and the title, but not in the same obvious way like what you did on this thread.

Tha

On 16.3.2018 at 4:20 PM, gr5 said:

@Brulti - I'm a moderator so I don't know what it's like for regular users.  I have to add the tag "solved" but *also* I have to make it a "prefix tag" so it shows up in the title in an obvious way both here and in the listing of all topics.  Do you have the ability to do this on your own topics (prefix)?

Thanks for the marking. As a normal user I can add the solved tag, but there are no further possibilieties to configure it or define it as prefix.