Cura Connect | Survey Read more... ×
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
UltiChris

Print cylinder wall with concentric lines only

I want to print a cylinder (well, actually it is a heart, but a cylinder shows the same issue) with transparent material.

I have an Ultimaker2 with a 0.4mm nozzle and have Cura 3.2.1 and the older version Cura 15.04.6 installed

The wall thickness of the model is 1.6 mm

I would like to have 4 parallel layers in horizontal direction, i.e. 4 concentric circles. However, I get always some internal linear patterns which causes a twofold problem: First the cylinder looks uneven, the transparency is very different depending from what side I look. Second the material (HDGlass from FormFutura doesn't like retraction and moving the print head around the stringing is not the big problem, but the adhesion is sometimes bad after a move. Without retraction the look is sometimes very bad, because material is collected at the nozzle and deposited on the print at arbitrary positions.

I have experimented with wall thickness, I have set it to 0.8 which I think should do the job, I have set it to 1.2 and 1.6.

In a different approach I have set the Wall Line Count to 2 and 3, which both show the same layer preview as shown in the attached image. At a Wall Line Count of 4 the layer preview is empty.

Until recently I have worked only with the old cura version, Cura 3.2.1 is pretty new for me.

Any idea how to get 4 parallel wall lines?

nonConcentricWalls.png

Edited by UltiChris

I think you can do this with the new cura as well (cura 2.X, 3.X).  You have to set infill to 0% and play with line widths (all of them - there are a few) and of course set wall thickness to a large value like you already did.  Basically it's a lot of experimenting with wall widths and maybe also set flow to more than 100% - maybe 110%.

@Brulti - I'm a moderator so I don't know what it's like for regular users.  I have to add the tag "solved" but *also* I have to make it a "prefix tag" so it shows up in the title in an obvious way both here and in the listing of all topics.  Do you have the ability to do this on your own topics (prefix)?

Tha

On 16.3.2018 at 4:20 PM, gr5 said:

@Brulti - I'm a moderator so I don't know what it's like for regular users.  I have to add the tag "solved" but *also* I have to make it a "prefix tag" so it shows up in the title in an obvious way both here and in the listing of all topics.  Do you have the ability to do this on your own topics (prefix)?

Thanks for the marking. As a normal user I can add the solved tag, but there are no further possibilieties to configure it or define it as prefix.