Printing Won't Center

Tom Herd

Posted · Printing Won't Center

I am new to this in all aspects, so if answered please be simple and figure I know nothing - you will be right.

CURA 3.2.1 downloaded and using with Tevo Tornado printer 300x300x400. After slicing a model of mine, and trying the samples that came with Tevo's SD card, the printing seems ok. The problem is not there, but with getting the building to center on the Tevo bed. The build starts close to the home position (front left corner) to the extent that part of the object is cut off. If I move the imported STL file picture/model to the far right back of CURA's base plate in the slicer then when Tevo starts the build it end up toward the center but still in the front left quadrant.

On You-Tube a subscriber told me to try his bennchy gcode file for a CR10. I did and that build went directly to the center - great! If his is a gcode problem I have no idea on what or where to put in a fix.

In machine settings in cura - for your printer - you have to tell it the bed dimensions.  It uses those numbers to place the object in the "center".  I suspect it has the wrong values there - probably 150mmX150mm instead of 300X300.

The Tevo Tornado specifications are 300-300-400mm. In the manual it shows these as the bed size and 320-320-400 as overall.

Home brings the head to the front left side, very close to the edge. If I manually through the printers controll box move the head 150 X and 150 Y it does go to the center. Someone on YouTube had me try a CR10 G-code file of bennge (the boat sample?) which did go to the center and printed well. Thus, I am still confused. Thanks for the reply!

Hmm.  I don't think you read my post.  I didn't ask you how big your printer is.  I asked you about "machine settings".  I can tell you how to get to that part of cura but first tell me what version of Cura you are using.  You need to get to MACHINE SETTINGS.  This is in a very different part of the software depending what version of cura you have.  Once you get to machine settings (in cura) then re-read my post.

CURA 3.2.1

On the Machine Settings tab I have the following;

Printer Settings X 300, Y 300, Z 400

Build Plate = Rectangular

Checked both Origin at Center & Heated Bed

On Printhead Settings

Xmin = 0, Ymin = 0, Xmax =320, Ymax = 320

Gantry height = 0

Number of Extruders = 1

I will replace the 300x300 with 150x150 and give it a try. Will repost results later today 3/1/2018.

Thanks,

Forgot one item when I went into settings to ask about.

Gcode flavor > lists a number of types. As this Tevo Tornado is similar to the CR10 what "flavor" should be picked. Prehaps the problem is with the code I picked. ??

43 minutes ago, Tom Herd said:

Checked both Origin at Center & Heated Bed

Are you sure that this printer has the origin of its coordinate system in the center?

That would be very unusual for this kind of printer...

What happens if you uncheck "Origin at center" in the machine settings?

• Like 1

Tinkergnome - you figured it out. Congrats to you :-D

I unchecked the Origin box, set the printer to Home, started a test print and it went to the center.

One more question I would like to pose to you: The box about Gcode flavor. I have no idea which one to pick, I used Marlin, but as the Tevo Tornado is similar to the CR10 (per youtube videos) which one would you pick? Picture shows settings BEFORE changes were made.

Screen Shot 2018-03-01 at 8.58.46 AM.png

Make sure to set width and depth to your printer dimensions.  I'd choose Marlin

• Like 1

tinkergnome suggested to uncheck the Origin center box and it now works. I did reuse the 300x300 settings.

I did change to Marlin, but had no idea what I was doing.

It all seems to be working now.

Thanks to everyone!  :-D

Thanks you guys. I had the same problem of not centering the print. Solution worked. Now I can sleep. Cheers