How To Create Single Wall Prints? BUG?

Modified_Gemini

Posted · How To Create Single Wall Prints? BUG?

Thank you @smartavionics for the quick response.

Notice that Cura breaks the single wall in a bunch of little segments, and this makes the print weak on those points were the wall is not made with a single pass.

I tried most setting and wall widths but I cannot find a way to force cura to use a single pass for the wall. 

Thank you,

Screen Shot 2019-01-29 at 5.46.52 PM.png

CE3_Z-84 Wing Leading Edge.3mf

Thanks for the project. Using my Cura release I can get a reasonable result with a couple of setting changes. I changes the line width to 0.6 so that all of the wall is printed as a thin wall and changed the layer start X value to 1200 which makes the lines get started at one end rather than in the curved region. This is a great model as it shows up some remaining problems with my thin line printing so I am grateful that you have provided it. If you want to use my Cura releases you can find them at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0

Screenshot_2019-01-30_07-46-33.thumb.png.ce57c1d2986fc89a6cb7d8dd8e7687a7.png

Thank you very much. I tried the same setting in 3.6 and it was terrible, in your release Cura-mb-master-20190114.dmg it worked great with those tweaks. Do you think your changes are going to be part of the 4.0 official release?

Any caveats or known issues that I should be aware while using your release?

Again thank you very much you saved me from having to learn how to use Slic3r!

2 hours ago, Revenant-Miami said:

Do you think your changes are going to be part of the 4.0 official release?

Sorry, no. Those changes are not yet in the pipeline for inclusion in any Ultimaker release. I'm still working on the code and there's such a big backlog of contributions that are not being processed by the Ultimaker team that there's not much point.

2 hours ago, Revenant-Miami said:

Any caveats or known issues that I should be aware while using your release?

My releases are based on the Cura development branches so they will contain not only Ultimaker's bugs but my bugs too. I try not to post a release that is known to be broken but, as always, YMMV.

Hello @smartvionics

I'm working with Cura for a biological project and I'm was also suffering with the issue of the single wall with only one move, till I found this post.

Because i'm working with high fluidics materials, long travel moves could result in oozing material, so maybe you could help me on this.

For simple tests I pretend to only print some lines, like on the below image.

Screenshot_6.thumb.png.f0498c3061f46569ac02d0006d36cf36.png

The problem is after finish print one line the extruder will return to the initial point in order to pass to the next line, is there any way to the extruder pass directly to the next nearest line?

red arrows: extrusion direction.

blue arrows: travel moves.

green arrows: desired extrusion and travel moves.

Screenshot_5.thumb.png.eeb6f40a4481cdbb7acafed3aa116b21.png

Thanks again 😉

Hi @amagro, you mean like this?

Screenshot_2019-01-30_22-13-51.thumb.png.5af22a5d409e8238b86abcb8edf38fd1.png

That's using my current Cura release. All I did was set the layer start X and Y coords such that each layer starts in the top right corner. The thin wall printing logic just goes to the nearest line when it has finished the previous line so it naturally zig-zags when the lines are laid out like this. Cheers!

Those are thin lines so they are printed as a single pass. In my example the bars in the model are 0.3mm wide and the normal line width is set to 0.5mm so the normal Cura "loopy" lines are not used and the thin line engine is used instead.

Hi @smartavionics , sorry for hijacking the thread, but I didn't know where to report is. Using your version I noticed that using adaptive layers does not respect the layer height. I printed it trying different settings and confirmed that the layers are too high.

CE3_Z-84 Wing Leading Edge 280mm.3mf

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 6.38.03 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 6.37.39 PM.png

Screen Shot 2019-02-01 at 6.37.20 PM.png

Hi @Revenant-Miami, my Cura doesn't alter the adaptive layer height feature so it's bug-for-bug compatible with the Ultimaker releases. Please open an issue at https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues regarding that.

12 hours ago, Revenant-Miami said:

I printed it trying different settings and confirmed that the layers are too high.

Well, you screenshots from the layer preview show exactly what is to be expected: a layer height of 0.32 +/- 0.28 ( = variable layer heights between 0.04 and 0.60).

...which is a weird setting for a 0.4mm nozzle b.t.w...

What do mean with "too high"? Is it printing in thicker steps than 0.6?

On 2/2/2019 at 7:03 AM, tinkergnome said:

Well, you screenshots from the layer preview show exactly what is to be expected: a layer height of 0.32 +/- 0.28 ( = variable layer heights between 0.04 and 0.60).

...which is a weird setting for a 0.4mm nozzle b.t.w...

What do mean with "too high"? Is it printing in thicker steps than 0.6?

Yes it was. And the part would break a part as there was very little layer adhesion.

Hey there smartavionics.

Thanks for providing a download to a patched version of cure to allow single wall printing. I just came across this issue myself and landed be here at this very long forum post.

Question for you, Do you know if this gap here in the corner (circled with a ?) is part of your patch, or another setting? I tried a bunch or settings and could not get this to disappear. 

I attached the model if you wanted to see if it further put your patch to the test.

Gap.JPG

Cover.stl

Hello @changedsoul, I don't know why you are getting that gap. It's nothing to do with the printing of thin walls because I can see you don't have that setting enabled. Using my current release with a line width of 0.5mm I get this...

Screenshot_2019-02-23_08-06-12.thumb.png.68bc7428109aeaaa12b353389b4e0899.png

Your model carries a secret message in its internal structure (which is visible when sliced because internal features often do cause surface artifacts).

Screenshot_2019-02-23_08-22-43.thumb.png.0e55c6464da7fe7d651a534e4850252c.png

Yes, I is intended to be a cover for something. I was going to print it translucent and have the text appear thru the inside. First time I ever tried to print something that I wanted a single wall and also some solid.

Im getting the same thing every time but it different locations.

My printer is configured for a .6mm nozzle. I tried changing the Line width to .5 and the Wall thickness to .5. I honestly don't know which one to change, one or the other or both. I just changed both and still get the gaps.

I noticed when I increased the layer height through the gap shrunk, but it was still there.

Could you maybe share a saved project with the settings you used so I cans see what I am missing?

GapJPG.JPG

Ah, I just realised, those gaps are because you have coasting enabled. The're not really gaps as such.

Well I just picked one of the pre set print settings of .3mm (extra fast) and the problem went away. So I must have had some setting messing it up.

Ah, I just realised, those gaps are because you have coasting enabled. The're not really gaps as such.

No coasting is not enabled. Didnt even have it turned as visible in the options. But what is strange, after going to a pre set of values using the (extra fast) setting, that resolved the issue it seems. Now even when I go back to my saved values, its slicing ok. Like something was stuck.

Gap.JPG

I tried all this and nothing was working, and i wasn't about to redesign my model. My model is also mostly vase apart from some details. What worked is un-hiding the "minimal wall flow". I was experiencing under extrusion, or rather under primed extrusion, even when the prime settings were buffered to compensate retraction. 

Setting the minimal wall flow to 20% was the only way to prevent CURA from insisting on an inner wall. Once it stopped trying to print the ultra thin inner walls everything was fine :]]

ScreenHunter_78 May. 07 18.18.jpg

ScreenHunter_78 May. 07 18.19.jpg

Hi @smartavionics, I was trying to get Cura to print 1 line thin wall without double backing, and found this thread. Tried out your cura master Cura-mb-master-win64-20191125, works great, thanks! However the newer version after that, up till the most recent Cura-mb-master-win64-20191228 failed to slice the attached object, stuck at the progress bar, please have a look.

Also the print settings UI is pretty glitchy, but that's probably out of your control, see attached.

Cura master UI glitch.png

__test_thinwall Cura master.3mf

Hi @tajino, I just sliced your project with no problems and I don't think what I am using is much different from the last release so I can't explain why it isn't working for you.

Screenshot_2020-01-14_16-01-58.thumb.png.563084d4ac301c8d5a02a45cd768b5d4.png

Hi burtoogle, thanks for test slicing the object. Which version of the Cura master are you using? I'll try that exact version and see.

Sorry to resurrect a dead thread, but I was having major issues printing a single smooth wall using standard Cura too, and stumbled across this forum.  I found a reddit post recommending trying Arachne Cura Beta and I'm happy to report it worked perfectly!  Thought I'd post in case other people end up in a similar predicament!

I've included a link to the Arachne Cura and a gallery comparing the results I was getting with standard cura. 

https://support.ultimaker.com/hc/en-us/articles/360018439500-Ultimaker-Cura-Arachne-engine-beta-version

https://imgur.com/a/QBItluR