Auto slicing on / off PLEASE !!

xeno

Posted · Auto slicing on / off PLEASE !!

I disabled auto detect SD card drive and I don't have a virus scanner. I still see a slow down after I manipulate a model and before slicing starts. I'm not sure if it's due to 3D rendering or to slicing.

As mentioned I have the latest available version.

Are you in the normal view mode? I can rotate in normal view mode INSTANTLY after changing a parameter even if it takes a full minute to slice. I can rotate before the progress bar comes up. I can rotate after the progress bar comes up.

So something is wrong. Unless you are in slice view in which case I have the same issues.

Several people reported these bugs somewhere but I forget where (probably above in this very thread) and there were either bug fixes or workarounds for all of them. I thought the latest Mac version (which is newer than the latest PC version I think) fixed one of the problems that was Mac only related.

Also: do you have any of the 4 "fix horrible" boxes checked? These perform cpu intensive work before the slicing starts.

Unfortunately, Daid is much slower at fixing "mac only" related issues as he probably doesn't have the issue you are having on the few Macs he *does* have access to.

Daid's philosophy is not to add a workaround (turning off slicer) to fix a bug that needs fixing. The bug itself should be fixed, otherwise if he gives people the slicer-off feature people won't complain and the bug will never be fixed.

I'm in the normal view mode and the fix horribles are unchecked.

I'm fine with autoslicing/prepare but ONLY if doesn't impact other operations (bugs excluded), otherwise it's a design choice that can NOT be justified. Actually that should be the reason for it to be in the background, not its speed.

• 4 years later...

On this issue.

NO I WON'T REMOVE THE AUTO SLICING OR MAKE IT CONFIGURABLE. Asking for it nicely, crying, or even coming over to my house with pitchforks and torches won't help (But you will get an odd look from me for doing that). You can use 13.04 if you are not happy about the 13.06 release right now. But this won't help in getting the real issues fixed.

First off, there where some issues with performance. Thanks to a few testers I managed to find and fix performance issues, only 1 was related to the actual slicing, which had to do with an interaction how the slicer was started and a virus scanner. And the SD card detection was giving some fuzz. This is solved in the .3 release, this mostly effected windows. but also made the Mac version act a bit better, however, due to a mistake I uploaded the wrong file and thus the .3 only went live this morning for Mac.

Now, I just did a lot of tests today on MacOS. (as almost all "boohoo, auto slicing bad!" users are MacOS users now) And the slicing on MacOS is fine, it doesn't do anything to the performance. HOWEVER. There seems to be an issue with the 3D view drawing on MacOS, this is much slower then it used to be. I'm checking this, because it's odd (The 3D view is actually fasted then in older releases on Windows)

I'll keep you posted.

Are you a member of the ultimaker staff ?

Your reply is childish and unprofessional.

When complaints are rationally substantiated, they schould be investigated, not muffled by anger.

On the issue:

I'm printing clamps with my newly bought ultimaker, i'm trying to make a 5x12 grid, and adding the last 10 pieces on the build plate is nearly impossible, not only because it keeps moving everything off grid, but also because it keeps autoslicing.

whats the point of this ?

Move object > Wait 20 sec

Move object > wait 20 sec

Move Object > Wait 20sec

Its a problem when putting many object on the build plate.

This situation needs to be taken into account.

Solution :

Move object, move object, move object, move object.

Slice button

Thank you for listening to your customers.

Hi @MichielCelis, welcome to the forums! The thread you are replying to is from 2013, and barely relevant anymore. By now you are able to disable autoslicing if you go into the preferences of Cura. I think by default it is enabled, but if it bothers you feel free to disable it :)

Have a great day!

• Like 1

Hi @MichielCelis, welcome to the forums! The thread you are replying to is from 2013,  and barely relevant anymore. By now you are able to disable autoslicing if you go into the preferences of Cura. I think by default it is enabled, but if it bothers you feel free to disable it :)

Have a great day!

Thank you, i was working with 2.4.0, found it in 3.1.0.