Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
redalbino

[Ubuntu] Cura 3.2.1 can't find USB connected printer

Recently switched from Windows to Linux and first time using Cura, so I'm still a bit of a newbie.

I'm trying to connect my TEVO tarantula with the MKS base 1.4 board over USB, however Cura can't find it. I've read online that it might have to do with the automatic serial port detection not working correctly and that I should instead edit the settings file to choose a set COM port. Here my knowledge with the Linux operating system falls short cause I can't find where the Cura AppImage saves its settings files?

On 11/3/2018 at 6:52 PM, berndjm said:

As far as I remember the user (= you) that runs a software which should communicate with usb-ports must belong to the group "dialout" to use the ports.

Give it a try, just open a terminal  an type in

sudo adduser xxx dialout

where "xxx" is your username.

A little late, but I can confirm that

"sudo usermod -a -G dialout [your_username]"

did the trick for me. :D Actually I neater found nor did the trick, it came to me by "accident" as I installed Arduino IDE (for playing with Marlin FW), and it did it all for me.. It was never Cura, just a stupid permission, however there is a way for software to ensure the needed permissions to work, so here we are.. ;) (BTW RepetierHost and Repsnapper now works for me as well)