Who wrote the "Mesh Type" module for Per Model Settings?

kmanstudios

Posted · Who wrote the "Mesh Type" module for Per Model Settings?

This has quickly become my absolute favorite feature that has been added. There is a huge amount of potential with this and I am hoping it gets more development.

I could never quite follow the anti-overhang procedure. I dunno why, but it eluded me. But, this feature has been worry free and made a lot of things I used to cobble together obsolete.

To whom ye be, thank you :)

• Like 1

Truth be told, the functionality of "support meshes", "anti overhang meshes", "infill meshes" and "cutting meshes" has been in Cura since around Cura 2.3 or so, but what I did made it more accessible in the frontend. Kudos to @bagel-orb for the functionality in CuraEngine.

You made it understandable. I have very bad blind spots on some things and I gotta tell you, your way of presenting information made it finally accessible to me. I seriously could not follow the anti-overhang tutorials and explanations put forth. I dunno why....

But your addition to the program does what good programming should do, require no real explanation. It is solid and nails down the ideas in an easy to grasp way. That is intuitive interfacing.

Hats off on massively good programming and making something accessible that I could not follow before. :+1:

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Truth be told, the functionality of "support meshes", "anti overhang meshes", "infill meshes" and "cutting meshes" has been in Cura since around Cura 2.3 or so, but what I did made it more accessible in the frontend. Kudos to @bagel-orb for the functionality in CuraEngine.

This part is a hats off to both of you. I do know it takes both parts. But, presentation of information is everything, and you made it bulletproof in my eyes. :)

Do like it the support mesh lot and very useful.

What I don't understand is: in the 'select settings' are the settings available for this function, but since the latest changes you cannot change the support density and the pattern in the support mesh any more. It inherits the settings on the right under support, but most of the time is this disabled because the mesh support is used instead. The only way to change this is to enable support (is not wanted), change the settings and disable support. Do I miss something?

Also in the 'select settings' is 'generate support'...... That is what the support mesh does....   Don't see something changing toggling it on/off.

5 hours ago, peggyb said:

What I don't understand is: in the 'select settings' are the settings available for this function, but since the latest changes you cannot change the support density and the pattern in the support mesh any more.

Aw, yes, that's an unfortunate effect of the current setting architecture. Those two settings have to be the same for all models on the buildplate because internally in the curaengine a single mesh is created for all (non-tree) supports. That is the reason these settings cannot be set per model. But I see why they would have to be settable somehow.

Thanks for reporting it. Could you also report it at https://github.com/ultimaker/cura/issues , lest I forget?

It was always intented to work how Ahoeben implemented it, but we just never got to it. We decided to add the functionality in the way it was so it would at least be available for the die-hards that don't mind experimenting.

That being said, i'm really happy its now (ab)usable for everyone!