ColorFabb default settings disable retraction?

jhirschman

Posted · ColorFabb default settings disable retraction?

I bought a spool of orange ColorFabb filament, and this is my first real try printing with non-Ultimaker filament.  I was pleasantly surprised to see that there were presets for ColorFabb, and I used them.  I got terrible results -- oozing, stringing, knotting.

5aaaac55b3d02_IMG_7468(1).thumb.jpg.3259bca30350ae36ab149a8b9f5f854a.jpg

I tried multiple prints varying the print temperature, but saw the same thing.  Then I put my fingers gently on the filament entering the feeder, and noticed that there was absolutely no retraction happening.  None.  I double checked, and "Retraction" was selected in the Cura settings.  So I set Cura to Ultimaker PLA (forcing the temperatures and speeds to be the same as before, and printing worked much better:

IMG_7471.thumb.jpg.8e35ca30158a14f6478c0bdb75bfa2b4.jpg

Is it possible that there's an error in the ColorFabb presets?  Is there something that needs to be done other than checking the "retraction" box to get retraction going for non-Ultimaker filament?

On 15.3.2018 at 6:26 PM, jhirschman said:

I was pleasantly surprised to see that there were presets for ColorFabb

My Cura (version 3.2.1) doesn't have such presets *|

Here's a screenshot of how I assigned a particular extruder to use ColorFabb PLA/PHA by clicking the "Material" pulldown.  But it won't print well, because retraction seems to be disabled when I select that.

Cura ColorFabb support.png

Posted (edited) · ColorFabb default settings disable retraction?

You should be able to enable it after selecting it. The profile should just be a list of settings to start with, but not locking them. As for Colorfabb, I just use the basic PLA profile and only change the temp to about 195 for the most part.

Edit: My choice of PLA when slicing is based on the color I wish to see the model in. All the PLA settings, as far as I know, are pretty much the same.

Edited by kmanstudios

To be clear, I'm not suggesting it's locked out.  I can (and did) check the retraction checkbox -- it just isn't actually enabling retraction during the print.  As I said in my first post here, assigning the extruder to "Ultimaker PLA" settings causes the retraction to work, and the ColorFabb prints very nicely.

Try posting a project file that has this behaviour for someone to evaluate since it seems to be alien to other people's experience.

8 hours ago, jhirschman said:

Here's a screenshot of how I assigned a particular extruder to use ColorFabb PLA/PHA by clicking the "Material" pulldown. 

I did the same but as I said before my Cura didn't ship with such settings with Cura 3.2.0. 

5aad16854a8a2_Bildschirmfoto2018-03-17um14_19_07.thumb.png.974e8a6571fc643ddca2da2b9681b5a1.png

@kmanstudios do you have the Colorfabb option? Maybe they got added with the 3.2.1 release. 

12 minutes ago, cjs said:

@kmanstudios do you have the Colorfabb option? Maybe they got added with the 3.2.1 release. 

Noperz. I am thinking he cloned a profile and modified it.

I'm a little new to Cura.  Maybe I did clone a profile and modified it, but I don't know how I did.

Regardless, it seems to me that if I have the retraction box checked, then retraction should work.  I'm in the middle of a long print, but I'll try this again, validate the retraction not working, and post the profile.

My apologies -- this looks like pilot error.  I first bought this spool of filament about a year ago, and did a little experimenting with it on a couple of very simple things, and then didn't really use it for any projects.  I think during that initial use I created a new profile, forgot I did that, and then a year later erroneously thought this was an official Cura profile.

I just created a clean, brand new project, used the default generic PLA profile, and retraction works fine.

Again, sorry for the false alarm.

• Like 1

No need to be sorry. It happens. And it is good that you found the issue for others that may experience the same thing :) It is all a learning curve :+1:

Thanks for all the help, @kmanstudios

37 minutes ago, jhirschman said:

Thanks for all the help, @kmanstudios

Any time....it is whut we here ferr :)