CURA 3.2.1 and material settings

Posted (edited) · CURA 3.2.1 and material settings

I just downloaded Cura 3.2.1 and want to use it with my UM2+olsson, I cannot change the material settings. The "Activate" icon is faded and cannot be checked. When using the  UM2+ as printersetting, the material can be changed, checked etcetera.

Anyone an idea?

Capture.JPG

Edited by smliw

Posted · CURA 3.2.1 and material settings

I don't know the answer but I do know that the UM2 controls most (all?) of the material related settings on the printer itself.

For example the nozzle and bed temperatures, the retraction distance and speed, the fan speed modifier (it multiplies fan speeds in gcode by this modifier).  These are all set on the UM2 when you select a material on the UM2.

So that's probably why.

• Like 1

I also have an issue with that as there is no way to enter cost of filament, especially when you use different brands of filament which all costs differentiate.

Using the UM2+ profile shows difference with UM2 profile in time and meters of material while setting are exactly the same and do see quality differences when printing with both profiles and same setting on the same model.

Don't know where that is coming from.

If you want full control over materials on an UM2, including cost information, go to Machine Settings and switch the gcode flavor to Marlin.

Switching to gcode changes lots of things.  It means you control the nozzle and bed temperature, retraction distance, filament diameter in Cura instead of on the printer.  The startup procedure (where and how it does the initial purge) will likely be a little different (but you can edit it now in cura where the "begin gcodes" are).  Just try it and see what you think.  The printer probably won't have quite as good an idea of how long your print will take.  In fact I don't think it will print any times - just % of layers complete (I forget exactly).

Also if you print ABS for example, on the printer if you set the fan speed to 50% then in ultigcode mode it takes the fan speed from cura and cuts it in half (50%).  But in normal gcode mode the ABS fan speed is ignored and Cura has to know to set the fan speed lower for ABS.  If you print PLA you can ignore this.

The idea is that in ultigcode mode you can slice once and then you can print in any material with any filament diameter and not have to reslice first because the printer is told what the material is and the diameter.  In practice it's silly because people dont' typically print the same part in 2 or more materials very often.

Thanks for explaining gr5, i'll give it a try and hope tinkergnome firmware will work with it just as well.

gr5 can you read my post? I'm not confideltly with gcode (eve if I know what they are). You seem an expert and we will have need help. Thanks.