Bondtech DDG on UM3E Rocks!

Posted · Bondtech DDG on UM3E Rocks!

I had posted on a few other threads about issues that ultimately were related to feeder wheel slipping/grinding/just not keeping up.

So, I thought I'd just post a new thread...

After lots of frustration with another print failing and having to lower speeds so that the extruder could keep up I finally got around to installing the DDG Kit on my UM3E.

I had been apprehensive about the firmware tweaks due to some issues that others had posted.

HOLY COW!

What an improvement!

I had been lowering speeds to about 40mm/sec with the stock extruder and still getting slippage from time to time.

After installing the bondtech I'm printing at 80mm/sec with none of the underextrusion issues that I had experienced before.

I'll experiment some more to see just how fast I can go. Especially looking forward to the improved results with flex filament.

The hardware swap out was super easy.

The firmware edits using "Putty" were really very simple. I hit a few snags but they were all because I wasn't patiently and carefully following the instructions (or my careless typos in the command line :-P)

Anyhoo....

If you're hesitating, Don't. 

Ultimaker should be selling machines with bondech feeders as an option. Just like the olsson block.

The Bondtech feeder is clearly superior to the stock feeder. 

• Like 5

Nope. 

I do have a hardcore printhead but that's another 3rd party product that I haven't had a chance to test out.

Do you know of issues with using a bondtech feeder with abrasive filaments? 

No.  I'm more curious if your "plus" feeder got worn out due to abrasive filaments.  It's pretty tough being steel and all but the bondtech is hardened steel.  Much much harder material.  Not sure if CF can damage the UM feeder or not.  Just very curious.

Do you have the old feeder?  Could you touch the pyramidal points on the gnurled feeder and see if they seem at all dull?  Maybe even just regular old PLA can make the points duller?  I don't know but it seems unlikely.

The original knurled feeder looks brand new. No wear and tear.

I will say that from day one the "optimized" profiles for PLA in Cura have infill speeds that are too high for the stock feeder.

My printer has always underextruded PLA on infill using the 80mm/sec setting in the standard profile.

In optimal conditions the stock feeder works just fine.

However, there are many variables that can contribute to friction/blockage that will cause slippage.

Here are just a few:

1. Coming to the end of a roll and the filament is tightly bent.

2. Adding a drybox with additional tubing that the filament has to go through.

3. Some filaments appear to be more brittle/hard and are not gripped as well by the feeder wheel.

4. Carbon buildup on the nozzle in the middle of a print causing partial obstructions.

5. Faster print speeds

6. Lower heat at the nozzle 

etc.

My experience is that these can contribute to failed prints with the stock feeder.

However, I am finding that the Bondtech is gripping the filament so much better that it mitigates most of these problems and allows me to print at much faster speeds.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, gr5 said:

Not sure if CF can damage the UM feeder or not.  Just very curious.

Carbon fiber filaments certainly do damage the knurled wheel on the Ultimaker machines, I have photos somewhere but I can not locate them right now.

Anyway you will see wear already after a kilo and after 2 kilos you are likely to start getting feeding problems if the spring is on the default 50% setting, 4 kilos and it will be really worn.

A hardened bondtech type feeder wheel lasts more like 20 kg or so before it needs to be replaced.

• Like 4

• 7 months later...

hi exforma,

Based on some of these posts I'm reading I start getting OCD about the potential for abrasive materials wearing out my feeder.  In the meantime with the Bondtech - did you have to tweak anything in the Cura profiles?  I found that my ultimaker default settings prints come out really nice, and then little tweaks here and there bring down the quality slightly (3rd party nozzle for instance).  Just want to see your experience with the bondtech.  I generally don't mess with my settings too much.

Bobby

Bobby,

The slippage that I was experiencing was definitely not due to wear on the knurled drivewheel. My my switch to the Bondtech was the result of my desire to not reduce speeds on certain materials/strategies that were inherently more prone to slippage. Ultimately, I could always find a setting that worked with the stock feeder. However, the Bondtech simply grips the filament better and leads to fewer failed prints. Especially with larger nozzles at higher speeds. Like you, I generally don't mess with settings and prefer an out of the box experience. I would say that you can clearly do without the Bondtech extruders. But, you will be able to push your printer to go faster with more reliability if you try it. And, I do not find that it degrades the quality of my prints.

• Like 1