Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
octa

Cura creates holes in mesh

I created this model in cinema4d and the modeling looks clean and filled there, but when i print it or see it in layer view in cura i get this gaps in my model. how can i solve it? 

dSW0tYj.png

W9ja48R.png

first thing you can check in x-ray view if there are red areas in the model (not like in the view you posted, these ore overhang areas)

if you see red parts then your model is bad and needs fixing before or during export.

52 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Please show a photo of these problem empty spots.

JuLvMrM.png

47 minutes ago, darkdvd said:

Objects must be nested.

Ah can you explain what this means? How to do that in c4d? It is one object there.

If i turn on Union Overlapping Volumes in Cura the empty areas are gone but then the sphere is not hollow anymore.

Edited by octa

I am not sure if it is a problem with export of the boolean ops used. Booleans are notoriously difficult with mesh objects.

The boolean operation(s) left all sorts of trash and unconnected elements in the full object.

AllSeparateEntities.thumb.jpg.9f2ab1d0a6e205d4f6edce3f0d45f99e.jpg

By not being connected, this left a gazillion open edges:

STLErrors.thumb.jpg.4c9ae9b6132425315809d960aa4f826f.jpg

The boolean operations used did not properly separate and then reunify/weld the parts back together. You can see this with the pieces that are left from the individual parts. In the Top image, I hid one element to see what was going on inside. the bottom image shows how many open edges it left behind that did not weld leaving a plethora of 2d shapes and nothing manifold. I am amazed Cura could even get any type of slice out of it.

Edit: This is what a proper cut up mesh should look like. @darkdvd, are you using c4D?

27 minutes ago, darkdvd said:

That's what the object should look like (my draw)

nestedproblem2.thumb.JPG.0941548a1e5a54e4083443bfc99cb1d2.JPG

Edited by kmanstudios
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kmanstudios said:

I would like to see the STL or OBJ of that file. I am not sure about nesting as I do have any familiarity with C4D. But looking at mesh can be educational. :)

37 minutes ago, darkdvd said:

That's what the object should look like (my draw)

nestedproblem2.thumb.JPG.0941548a1e5a54e4083443bfc99cb1d2.JPG

Nice. What program did u use to create that model that fast?

11 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

I am not sure if it is a problem with export of the boolean ops used. Booleans are notoriously difficult with mesh objects.

The boolean operation(s) left all sorts of trash and unconnected elements in the full object.

AllSeparateEntities.thumb.jpg.9f2ab1d0a6e205d4f6edce3f0d45f99e.jpg

By not being connected, this left a gazillion open edges:

STLErrors.thumb.jpg.4c9ae9b6132425315809d960aa4f826f.jpg

The boolean operations used did not properly separate and then reunify/weld the parts back together. You can see this with the pieces that are left from the individual parts. In the Top image, I hid one element to see what was going on inside. the bottom image shows how many open edges it left behind that did not weld leaving a plethora of 2d shapes and nothing manifold. I am amazed Cura could even get any type of slice out of it.

Amazing, thanks! I would also like to know what program you are using that shows you the unconnected elements - C4d is not showing that.

Edited by octa

For this sort of models, you might want to try DesingSpark Mechanical. It is very good at geometric shapes. Never had any problem with STL-export and 3D-printing. Also, it is as easy to learn as SketchUp. To get an idea of the user-interface, and if it appeals to you, try a few demo-videos and tutorials on Youtube.

• Like 1