Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Hi

I am possibly looking at printing with abrasive filament (Glow in the dark, Carbon Fiber etc.) in the future as was wondering what the best Print Core would be to ensure I do not damage my UM3. From my research it seems like the "UM3 HardCore Pro" would be the way to go with "UM3 Hardcore 5- Nozzle EVERLAST Ruby Sapphire Kit". Is this still the case or are there other better options available? Do I need to be concerned about this damaging my extruder in any way? Also, would using a 3rd party Print Core impact my guarantee on the printer in any way?

Thanks

Well getting 5 ruby nozzles seems a bit extreme.  The 0.25mm nozzle is likely to clog with some of the filled filaments.  I usually recommend the 0.6mm.  But basically you are correct - that's a good way to go (I'm biased though because I sell 3dsolex products).  As of now, march 2018, there seems to be no other sellers of ruby nozzles for the UM3.

Will it void your warranty?  I doubt it.  If your part comes loose and you get a head flood - then the head flood repair might not be covered because the 3dsolex cores are 3rd party.  But that's all I can think of (I think I'd rather fix it myself anyway).  Basically if the 3dsolex core didn't contribute to some kind of failure then you should be covered but I can't promise anything.

Besides even if some part breaks and you aren't covered, most of the parts on the UM3 are pretty inexpensive.

Damaging your extruder?  You mean the feeder?  Basically the extrusion system is made of two parts connected by the bowden.  Some call the 2 parts the hot and cold end.  Some call it the feeder and the extruder.  The cores are basically the extruders.

Your feeder *might* get worn down a bit by glowfill filament (or CF filament).  I've heard of this happening but it seems to be rare.  Not sure why.  Anyway you can always replace the part that gets worn down.  I call that part the gnurled sleeve but it's not really a sleeve in the UM3.  It's a gnurled shaft I suppose.

If that parts does get worn down (I doubt it will) then you could consider getting a bondtech ddg which has hardened steel splined wheels.  Or just replace the gnurled shaft.