Bottom layer deformation when printing - Ultimaker 3

victorgil

Posted (edited) · Bottom layer deformation when printing - Ultimaker 3

Hi all!

I can't seem to get my Ultimaker 3 to print everything perfectly. I am printing using PLA as my main material.

It seems that the layers closer to the bed are always deforming in the same spot. I am running the latest version of Cura and I did a full maintenance of the printer last week - images 1&2 are before the maintenance setup and 3-6 are after the setup, which we can see that the situation is better but not fixed.

I printed it with recommended settings and Fine (0.1mm) profile.

Any ideas to what could be the issue?

Thanks,

Victor

image001.jpg

image002.jpg

image003.jpg

image004.jpg

image005.jpg

image006.jpg

Edited by victorgil

Posted · Bottom layer deformation when printing - Ultimaker 3

Hi,

it looks like the part warps upwards. Depending on the geometry it might be the case when there is too little contact with the bed and the object is quite long.

Which print settings did you use? One of the default profiles for PLA? What is the bed temperature? And do you have bed leveling enabled? Is the glass plate flat?

Looking at the model, would it make sense to turn it by 180DEG and print it upright?

Hi Nicolinux,

I used the default print settings for PLA at 60 degrees for the bed temperature. I have bed leveling enabled and I did the manual and automatic before printing the parts.

One of the parts needs to be printed flat as it has a live hinge. I could try printing it upright and see what it happens.

I have a new glass plate I am going to try to switch it and see.

You can test the glass plate by placing it on a flat surface and pressing with your finger in each corner to see if it wobbles.

In order to increase bed adhesion, you can apply some of the glue from the glue stick and then spread it with a damp cloth until you don't see any residue. Or if you have some hairspray, spray a bit on a tissue and then wipe the glass plate with it. I am using 3DLac (google it) for bed adhesion. Judging by the smell, it is just regular hairspray...

I have always used Dimafix spray 

dimafix-cans-index-resized.png?crc=19194

I am printing it again with a new plate to see if it makes a difference. I will let you know the results.

If I had to print this, I would try it upright. If it would be too long to fit in the printer, I would cut it in half, and add a sort of flanges to make glueing together easier, like in this quick 5 minute sketch (made in DesignSpark Mechanical). And maybe I would also add a little brim to prevent it from being knocked over, depending on the height/width ratio, the material, and the bonding. I think this would give a much better quality.

upright_cylinders.thumb.jpg.68c072afcd7807635b7a3b22861eaebb.jpg