Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Beta

SandervG

Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Beta

After another period of continuous research and development, we're proud to share the latest Ultimaker Cura Beta with you. We're excited to hear what you think of the new and improved features. With your help, we can improve on it further and fix any bugs our testing may have missed. 

A few things that stand out for me in this Beta version are:

A circular prime tower, for more reliable dual extrusion prints

Bridging , a new experimental feature detects bridges, adjusting print speed and fan speed. 

Configuration/sync , when you use Cura Connect you can sync Cura to show which Ultimaker 3D printers are available with their configuration and you can slice accordingly. Should save us at least a few walks :)

A support blocker, allowing you to select areas where you don't want support to be generated (Thanks @ahoeben !)

support-blocker-600.gif

Some smaller updates:

- The font has been updated to NotoSans. Some users had rendering issues on Mac OSX which should be fixed now and generally offer better readability. 

- Model assistant, models sliced with ABS, PC, PP or CPE+ that have a larger footprint than 15*15*15cm will activate some handy modeling tips that could ensure better results. 

- The plugin browser has an updated look and feel, and has been updated with 3 new plugins. 

• Scalable extra prime
  • Print temperature offset
  • Enclosure fan

We’d like to thank our contributors, including @ahoeben , Pheneeny, @smartavionics  and @thopiekar !

Please note: We’ve thoroughly tested this beta version, which offers great functionality and improved features. However, it’s still in the beta stage, which means we can’t guarantee the same print reliability as our stable versions. If you’re working on an important project, we strongly recommend that you use the latest stable version of Ultimaker Cura.

Gotten curious? Download Ultimaker Cura 3.3 Beta here

Need some more information first? Check out our blog with some more features explained!

• Like 5

Just now, nallath said:

The direct link doesn't point to the 3.3 beta, it points to the generic download site.

I assume it's coming soon? Walk over to that dept and poke them. 

• Like 2

Just now, lrodriguez said:

I assume it's coming soon? Walk over to that dept and poke them. 

:'D

4 minutes ago, nallath said:

The direct link doesn't point to the 3.3 beta, it points to the generic download site.

go to view all versions and scroll down to Beta :'D

It is uploaded, I understand servers are catching up and approx in the upcoming few hours it should be available to everyone always. Now it shows up to 1 in 3 visits. (secret trick, if you refresh your page you can beat the odds and it will show up after 2 or 3 refreshes). Sorry for the inconvenience guys! 

Just now, SandervG said:

It is uploaded, I understand servers are catching up and approx in the upcoming few hours it should be available to everyone always. Now it shows up to 1 in 3 visits. (secret trick, if you refresh your page you can beat the odds and it will show up after 2 or 3 refreshes). Sorry for the inconvenience guys! 

Yep, DOWNLOADING NOW!

.. I suppose this process of sharing and uploading the latest Beta version is also still in beta :'D:'(

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, starbuck said:

I had to find it under "View All Versions"

https://ultimaker.com/en/products/cura-software/list

Tank yew veddy much!! I gots to admit, I did look at that page, but did not scroll down. I saw the Windows versions and thought that would be it since I am not on another platform.

Much appreciated :)

2 minutes ago, SandervG said:

.. I suppose this process of sharing and uploading the latest Beta version is also still in beta :'D:'(

:'D:'D:'D

Hmmm, is this a bug or is it my antivirus? Windows 8.1, run as administrator.

BugOrAntivrus.jpg.a658a4aeb482e8acec43ee5f997ddf1b.jpg

2 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Oh no! I'm not sure. I was able to use it but I'm on Windows 10 at the moment.

3 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Try moving the exe to your hard drive instead of an alternative?

There may be a glitch on my system...

I am checking it out now.

5 minutes ago, starbuck said:

Try moving the exe to your hard drive instead of an alternative?

I would not have thought of that. I have never had trouble with installing from my external as that is where I download my program installation files to.

Thanks for the tip! Now installed and ready to test. :)

:+1::+1:

A rather big and often-requested change that is not mentioned in the blog post is that Post processing scripts are now persistent between sessions. (Not my feature, @ghostkeeper deserves the credit)

• Like 3
    • Thanks 1

I have found out already that's it seemed like my settings weren't changing. You have to hit enter every time you make a setting change!! 

44 minutes ago, Scrat82 said:

I have found out already that's it seemed like my settings weren't changing. You have to hit enter every time you make a setting change!! 

I noticed this too! I was pretty confused by it at first.

Also I noticed that "Save to File" saves compressed gcode by default where it used to save just plain gcode by default.

I'm not able to select materials for some reason. It's not the first CURA version to have this issue though.

It seems to be an issue with the expandable setting menu but I am able to activate the materials via the materials manager menu.

using Windows 10

Cant select material.gif

Just noticed a few things:

1. It seems something can go wrong on the odd chance with the rotate and move buttons being locked together. Truly odd. When I would hit either move or rotate, they would both hilite and only give me access to the move input fields. I had to restart it to get both back for operation. See Pic:StuckButtons.thumb.jpg.01cd6790f989af55d640c1353da142c3.jpg
    2. Fort a while there, it was using all translation functions (Orbit, zoom, move) if I held down the alt key and left mouse button. Seems intermittent and cannot get it to work again at the moment. But I thought it was cool. And, the zooming worked right into the selected object.
    3. I too noticed the default save to compressed gcode and thought that was a good idea as it would make life easier going through wifi and such.
    4. Edit: And I just remembered that I resliced a file with no changes in the settings, and it added an hour to a long print.