Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Beta

SandervG

Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Beta

I love the idea of a support blocker, but unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be a way to change the size or shape of the area being blocked, which can be a little inconvenient in some cases.

Would it be possible to have a blocking mode that lets you click on specific overhangs that you don't want supported?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ahoeben said:

Thanks for looking in to it. Could you try http://files.fieldofview.com/temp/OctoPrintPlugin.curaplugin ?

You can safely remove the log file every now and then, otherwise it will just keep growing and growing.

Update:  It worked perfectly!  Whatever you did took care of it, I could send my print job directly to Octoprint and it picked it up and started printing immediately.  Thanks for the super-quick turnaround!

10 hours ago, Shipbrook said:

I love the idea of a support blocker, but unless I'm missing something, there doesn't seem to be a way to change the size or shape of the area being blocked, which can be a little inconvenient in some cases.

Would it be possible to have a blocking mode that lets you click on specific overhangs that you don't want supported?

I have been playing with the support blocker....maybe these images will help with the added schmuckumentary....

Step_1.thumb.jpg.8eccc116c89e6c2235c775d651e9be44.jpg

Step_2.thumb.jpg.ac5093b5b570ec5fe4280b2e7d032af5.jpg

Step_3.thumb.jpg.39ac579861f6067455a0cf39370f5464.jpg

Step_4a.thumb.jpg.db44acaa42706582c00f356d9ac65460.jpg

Step_4b.thumb.jpg.0b7d4a105ccc46b40a77783f6fad24d5.jpg

Step_5.thumb.jpg.558a1ec975592fbea600b38fbb47c7f4.jpg

Step_6a.thumb.jpg.8770bf8e42d712a99b598e202493c789.jpg

Step_6b.thumb.jpg.16a860e7d0af665315d9de9e294bd7ea.jpg

So, is it ideal? Not yet. But it is an awesome first crack at it on a software that is evolving and each new version sees improvement of things.

And, it does do the job with a solid performance. Just gotta get used to clicking and overlapping.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kmanstudios said:

So, is it ideal? Not yet. But it is an awesome first crack at it on a software that is evolving and each new version sees improvement of things.

And, it does do the job with a solid performance. Just gotta get used to clicking and overlapping.

I don't object to the clicking and overlapping (though obviously not as convenient as it would be to just click on a surface to mark the whole thing in a single go) - it's when the area I want to block support for is significantly smaller than the blocking cube, and stuff that I don't want blocked gets caught up in it too.

My original plan was to be able to click and drag on an area if the model. Dragging would scale the support blocker. The same would work for already placed supports; drag them to resize. Dragging them with the shift or control key could move them around. But as I basically started working on the tool two weeks ago, I ran out of time for the 3.3 release.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ahoeben said:

My original plan was to be able to click and drag on an area if the model. Dragging would scale the support blocker. The same would work for already placed supports; drag them to resize. Dragging them with the shift or control key could move them around. But as I basically started working on the tool two weeks ago, I ran out of time for the 3.3 release.

As I have played with it, I find the functionality to be quite nice. And with such a small lead time, I am very impressed with the results.

That's indeed quite an awesome work in so little time.

Sorry, but i can not get the Win64-Version to run. It crashes immediately after a printer is selected.

Log file: cura.log

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

did you try scaling the blocking cube?

Edit:

Like so?

ScaledBlocker.thumb.jpg.690c3b959b1a2fb581b250207cbbf4be.jpg

So you can reduce the size of the blocking cube with the scaling tool?  Can you please elaborate?

The trick is to:

1. Select blocking cube
    2. Translate blocking cube to location and size, making sure it is under the area to block
    3. Once finished translating, make sure you return to 'blocking cube icon' on left side of menu before slicing.

I just selected the blocking cube and scale after slicing to show the scaling percentage. But, for me to get it to work, I had to have the blocking icon active.

Thanks.  I'll have to try that this afternoon when I'm back to home.  I'm having some difficulty arranging the blocking cubes in support areas that are not on the build plate (Support Everywhere) is enabled.  When I click on block the display of the model jumps in and out pretty dramatically.

Still kudos to ahoeben for some mighty fine work here.  Support placement and editing is the only feature I really miss from S3D.  In my experience, S3D does a miserable job of managing PVA dual extrusion on the UM3.  That's why I pretty much stopped using S3D when I sold my UM2 machines and purchased the UM3 machines.

I Really appreciate the SolidWorks plugin as well.  I whole heartedly agree with your assessment that Cura has really come a long way in the last year . . .

12 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

did you try scaling the blocking cube?

Oh, hey, nifty. Didn't realize that was an option.

Hiya,

well it is the least stable Beta I've come across. 

for some reason I had 3 ABS profiles so I tried to delete two.  Boom it crashed.  I tried to restart but i got the configuration page after agreeing with the warning.  then it crashed again.  tried another time and I got stuck in a loop selecting UM3 on the affore mentioned page with a flicker of the page each time. 

the  adaptive layers is pretty pants.  great idea but the finish is poor.  it seems that the layer adjust but not the extrusion rate. 

any way, think this one might need a shit load more work. 

Hi.

Awesome upgrade. Many thanks.

Just two little problems: no temperature monitoring during the printing process and the usual problems with materials not recognized (needs an overriding for printing)
    Very good job.

erman58

Cura 3_2_1.jpg

Cura 3_3.jpg

Posted (edited) · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Beta

3.3.0-BETA  Why does the slicer retract 6.5 then 16mm at the start of layer 0?

I'm using the Vertex K8400 dual profile and disabled extruder 1 in Cura to print using extruder 2 (which is a really useful feature!!)

When I slice, just before layer 0, the extruder retracts 22.5mm!

This is the code created when extruder 1 is disabled to print using extruder 2

;FLAVOR:Marlin
    ;TIME:678
    ;Filament used: 0m
    ;Layer height: 0.2
    ;Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 3.3.0-BETA
    T1
    M190 S55
    M104 T1 S200
    M109 T1 S200
    M82 ;absolute extrusion mode
    ; Cura Startup Script v1.0
    G21                ; metric values
    G90                ; absolute positioning
    M82                ; set extruder to absolute mode
    M107               ; start with the fan off
    G92 E0             ; zero the extruded length

M117 Home all axis...
    G28 		       ; home all axes

M117 Level bed...
    G29 		       ; level bed
    M106 P1 S64 	   ; Start Extruder Fan

M117 Prime Extruder!
    G1 F8000
    G1 X210 Y190 Z0.5  ; move off edge of bed
    G1 E15 F500        ; extrude 15mm
    M400               ; wait for extrusion
    G1 Z0 X200 Y180 E20 F1000 ; Wipe and extrude 5mm
    G92 E0             ;zero the extruded length again
    G1 F9000
    ;Put printing message on LCD screen
    M117 Printing....
    ;end of script
    G92 E0
    G1 F1500 E-6.5        ; Why do this?
    ;LAYER_COUNT:57
    ;LAYER:0
    G1 F1200 E-16         ; Why do this too?
    G92 E0
    T1
    G92 E0
    M109 S200
    M107
    G0 F3600 X89.192 Y89.558 Z0.3
    ;TYPE:SKIRT

However, if you disable extruder 2, to print with extruder 1 the line G1 F1500 E0 is added which compensates for the earlier retraction.

It seems this line is missing when you print with extruder 2.

;end of script
    G92 E0
    G1 F1500 E-3
    ;LAYER_COUNT:32
    ;LAYER:0
    M107
    G0 F3600 X77.85 Y115.65 Z0.3
    ;TYPE:WALL-INNER
    G1 F1500 E0
    G1 F1800 X77.85 Y111.85 E0.16115
    G1 X80.35 Y111.85 E0.26716
    G1 X80.35 Y111.626 E0.27666

Edited by ChiefSwiftnick
    Added code to clarify issue

@ChiefSwiftnick

first retraction seems the classic retract before moving to avoid dripping. The second seems a tool change retraction

Seems like the preheat function's (with USB printing) auto disable timer stays active even after you initiate a print. So if you preheat the hot end it ends up turning off the heat x minutes into the print.

Posted (edited) · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Beta

@neotko
    first retraction seems the classic retract before moving to avoid dripping. The second seems a tool change retraction

Yes neotko it does look like that. The problem is it doesn't account for that at the start of printing, so the print begins with no material being

extruded. If one of the extruders has been disabled (using the new feature), then it should ignore the tool change retractions too.

Edited by ChiefSwiftnick

haven't done much with it yet, but I got to say, the font is nicer, just easier to read!  I'll play more later today :)

5 hours ago, phut said:

Seems like the preheat function's (with USB printing) auto disable timer stays active even after you initiate a print.

That should not happen, thanks for reporting. I’ll have a look at it.

Hi everyone,

I just tried Cura beta 3.3 but when I want to add my ultimaker 3 extended it just crashes and I have reinstalled it and it didn't help

@GeraldCLion, what system, computer version (Brand, year) etc are you using? That helps the people in the know help you better ;)

3 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

@GeraldCLion, what system, computer version (Brand, year) etc are you using? That helps the people in the know help you better ;)

I run Windows 10 I have and a HP Pavalion 17(2016) with a i7 and nvidia GTX 960m 4GB