SandervG

Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Beta

Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Beta

When we're making a stable version out of this beta version we're planning on making another explanatory video about some of the great new features and how they work. Last time we explained a lot of features but did not catch all the features people were most curious about. So I want to ask you; after having read the release notes and/or trying beta 3.3;

- which feature would you like to see explained in the next video?

After reading this thread, my initial input would be:

- new bridging settings

- support blocker

What else? :)

Note: A nominee is no guarantee. We can not include everything, but we'll do our best to make it as conclusive as possible. 

Edit: If you haven't seen the previous explanatory video; check my first post in the previous Stable introduction for reference.

Posted (edited) · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Beta

OK, playing with 3.3- Mac OSX 10.13.4 

constantly getting the "Unable to slice" feedback. But then sometimes, 20-30 seconds later it just starts slicing..? Also, Still a rather major lag in hitting the "prepare" button and anything happening, slicing or not. Last time I just counted in my head, and was like 20-25 seconds from hitting the button to getting feed back from the program. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 5.25.49 AM.png

cura copy.log

Edited by Thomllama

2 hours ago, Thomllama said:

OK, playing with 3.3- Mac OSX 10.13.4 

constantly getting the "Unable to slice" feedback. But then sometimes, 20-30 seconds later it just starts slicing..? Also, Still a rather major lag in hitting the "prepare" button and anything happening, slicing or not. Last time I just counted in my head, and was like 20-25 seconds from hitting the button to getting feed back from the program. 

Screen Shot 2018-04-04 at 5.25.49 AM.png

We need some logs :)

OK, that's hilarious. :sunglass:  Nothing like sitting by a warm fire with a fresh cup of coffee in the morning.

Thanks for the laugh ahoeben . . .

25 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

several-different-sized-logs-on-a-white-

I am glad someone did it.... :+1:

Just a thought, and I'm sure it has come up somewhere already, and it's not a bug per se, but a minor annoyance.
But wouldn't it be nice if the slicing could be held off until all of the settings in cura are made? I find it mildly annoying, especially with bigger and more complex builds when cura starts slicing after every single parameter change.

Or, at the very least, make it optional to behave one way or the other as I'm sure some folks like it the way it is ;)

5 hours ago, SandervG said:

When we're making a stable version out of this beta version we're planning on making another explanatory video about some of the great new features and how they work. Last time we explained a lot of features but did not catch all the features people were most curious about. So I want to ask you; after having read the release notes and/or trying beta 3.3;

- which feature would you like to see explained in the next video?

After reading this thread, my initial input would be:

- new bridging settings

- support blocker

What else? :)

Note: A nominee is no guarantee. We can not include everything, but we'll do our best to make it as conclusive as possible. 

Edit: If you haven't seen the previous explanatory video; check my first post in the previous Stable introduction for reference.

I guess it's technically a plugin and not a feature, but I would add a quick explanation and demonstration of Scaleable Extra Prime to the video.  It's an absolute godsend for PETG printing, and in my opinion it's tied with the new bridging settings as the feature that improves the quality of prints the most.  The difference it makes is really astounding.

1 minute ago, Tafelspitz said:

Just a thought, and I'm sure it has come up somewhere already, and it's not a bug per se, but a minor annoyance.
But wouldn't it be nice if the slicing could be held off until all of the settings in cura are made? I find it mildly annoying, especially with bigger and more complex builds when cura starts slicing after every single parameter change.

Or, at the very least, make it optional to behave one way or the other as I'm sure some folks like it the way it is ;)

This is already a setting!  It's under Preferences -> Cura Settings, then uncheck the 'Auto Slice' box.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, AirBronto said:

This is already a setting!  It's under Preferences -> Cura Settings, then uncheck the 'Auto Slice' box.

:+1:

1 hour ago, AirBronto said:

I guess it's technically a plugin and not a feature, but I would add a quick explanation and demonstration of Scaleable Extra Prime to the video.  It's an absolute godsend for PETG printing, and in my opinion it's tied with the new bridging settings as the feature that improves the quality of prints the most.  The difference it makes is really astounding.

Thanks, we'll keep it in mind!

I'm still noticing very diminished speed when connected to the network vs network disabled.  Brand new computer with no previous Cura installs and plenty of hardware to handle slicing.

cura.log

8 hours ago, ahoeben said:

several-different-sized-logs-on-a-white-

LOL, that funny as hell!  It was early morning and I was rushing out to work,.. ya,.. that's my excuse .. ya,.. sticking to it ;) 

cura copy.log

15 hours ago, AirBronto said:

Just when you thought you had all of the preferences checked out. Thank you so much!

Is there a way to disable the camera monitor? I have checked preferences and such but cannot seem to find anything.

10 hours ago, msurunner said:

Is there a way to disable the camera monitor? I have checked preferences and such but cannot seem to find anything.

Yes!  It's under the OctoPrint settings dialog.

Settings -> Printers -> Manage Printers -> [SELECT YOUR PRINTER] -> Connect to OctoPrint -> Uncheck "Show Webcam Image"

On 04/04/2018 at 11:22 PM, Thomllama said:

LOL, that funny as hell!  It was early morning and I was rushing out to work,.. ya,.. that's my excuse .. ya,.. sticking to it ;) 

cura copy.log

It seems to be spending a lot of time performing the error check (9 - 15 seconds!). That's probably why it's taking so freakishly long for the slicing to start. By the looks of it it has everything to do with your custom machine setup.

Is it also happening if you add a new custom machine?

4 hours ago, nallath said:

It seems to be spending a lot of time performing the error check (9 - 15 seconds!). That's probably why it's taking so freakishly long for the slicing to start. By the looks of it it has everything to do with your custom machine setup.

Is it also happening if you add a new custom machine?

yup, added a new machine with the beta

well I tried this again but instead of adding my UM3 I added UM2+ and it worked so I then tried to add UM3 and the software died, crashed, closed down ...... don't know why this is.

The 3.3.0-BETA AppImage chrashes on start :-(

System information:

Auswahl_003.png.27cbb63734350b75b1bca12e0d0ae47c.png

Error traceback:

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 969, in _find_and_load
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 958, in _find_and_load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 664, in _load_unlocked
  File "<frozen importlib._bootstrap>", line 634, in _load_backward_compatible
  File "/build/env/3.3/inst/lib/python3.5/site-packages/cx_Freeze/initscripts/__startup__.py", line 12, in <module>
  File "/build/env/3.3/inst/lib/python3.5/site-packages/cx_Freeze/initscripts/Console.py", line 21, in <module>
  File "/build/3.3/build/inst/bin/cura", line 141, in <module>
  File "/build/3.3/build/inst/lib/python3.5/site-packages/cura/CuraApplication.py", line 649, in run
  File "/build/3.3/build/inst/lib/python3.5/site-packages/cura/Machines/VariantManager.py", line 76, in initialize
KeyError: 'hardware_type'

Any hints, where to look for this "KeyError: hardware_type" ?!?

HAve you installed any custom variants in your configuration folder? If so, these must be updated.

Yes I have two variants for my printers for different nozzles, what exactly must be updated?

[general]
name = 0.4
version = 2
definition = K8200

[metadata]
author = BerndJM
type = variant
setting_version = 2

[values]
machine_nozzle_size = 0.4

Under metadata, add

hardware_type = nozzle

Also version must be 3 and setting_version must be 4 in Cura 3.3

Thanks so far, this helps a little bit. But it seems I have to configure some things from scratch :-(

RuntimeError: QualityChangesGroup[<4 - Adaptive & Support>, available = False] tries to overwrite the existing node_for_global QualityNode[fdmextruder_4 - adaptive & support] with QualityNode[k8200_4 - adaptive & support]

Hi,

I just installed cura 3.3, because of the support block feature. 
But after the changelog screen it's crash immediately.
Do you guys have some tips for me maybe? :) 
Thank you,