Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Beta

SandervG

Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Beta
3 minutes ago, SandervG said:

@Tadam, if you could share the logs the developers will be able to take a look and offer you help :)

OFC, can you help me out, where does cura keep the logs? 

22 minutes ago, Tadam said:

OFC, can you help me out, where does cura keep the logs? 

sucsess, unistall every cura version, delete everythin under appdata local, and also roaming, then reinstall cura. 

Interesting.  I had to do exactly the same thing.  That's why I never install the Beta versions on my work station, but rather on my laptop.  I then exported my most used profiles from the Cura 3.2.1 installation on the work station to the laptop Beta to experiment.  Rather clumsy, but got the job done.  Like you, I was anxious to try the Support Blocker functionality.  It's a work in progress, but definitely a step in the right direction when Support Placement is set  to Everywhere.

New font in the right hand Menu pane is an improvement as well.

4 hours ago, Tadam said:

sucsess, unistall every cura version, delete everythin under appdata local, and also roaming, then reinstall cura. 

Unfortunately, in doing so you have also removed the logs, so we won't know what went wrong (so chances of it getting fixed will be slim)

I haven’t done any deleting so I’ll dig for the logs. Keeps crashing and then not responding when I select UM3. Doesn’t do it with UM2+ though which is strange.

here is my log file

cura.log

Z seam question: 

Anyoneknow if there is a setting that will only change the outer most wall to be random? If I have many inner walls, it will do a random start and stop for each wall which wastes time, and more stringing with petg. I don't want to see the z seam on the part, but I would think there would be a way to only have it go to random starts and stops on the outside wall. 

Love the support blocking function but for my applications it is often desirable to block support from large areas which are often irregularly shaped so placing, scaling and rotating the blocking volumes is time-consuming. What would be awesome would bt the ability to draw a poly line which would allow for exclusion of support structures in the area outside the poly line. does that make sense? 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Alex L said:

Love the support blocking function but for my applications it is often desirable to block support from large areas which are often irregularly shaped so placing, scaling and rotating the blocking volumes is time-consuming. What would be awesome would bt the ability to draw a poly line which would allow for exclusion of support structures in the area outside the poly line. does that make sense? 

Thar's an interesting idea, but I don't think drawing the line directly into CURA would be easily doable, if at all. However, the ability to tell CURA that it must consider an object as the shape for the support-blocking feature might be easier to do.

So, we'd create the blocking object outside CURA in whatever 3D program one uses, import it in CURA and tell CURA 'this object is the support blocking shape'. What do you think?

Like you would have your 'real' model in your CAD, and quickly draft a 'blocking' mesh where you want it and load both in Cura?

Sounds like it could work, but it does feel less ..smart.

Do you think drawing a line won't be possible? I imagine it will be more difficult, but would it be very different from creating 1 point in the 3D visualization like we can now?

38 minutes ago, Brulti said:

Thar's an interesting idea, but I don't think drawing the line directly into CURA would be easily doable, if at all. However, the ability to tell CURA that it must consider an object as the shape for the support-blocking feature might be easier to do.

So, we'd create the blocking object outside CURA in whatever 3D program one uses, import it in CURA and tell CURA 'this object is the support blocking shape'. What do you think?

This already exists. You can load your model in Cura and in Per Model Settings select your mesh to be "Don't support overlap with other models".

In fact, that's what we started with. This new support blocker just places such an object in the scene with a pre-generated cube so that you don't have to go through CAD software.

I didn't think that CURA could allow us to draw directly into it. Would that be possible? Draw a free flowing line on CURA itself then have it recognized as a shape and used to block support?

1 minute ago, ghostkeeper said:

This already exists. You can load your model in Cura and in Per Model Settings select your mesh to be "Don't support overlap with other models".

In fact, that's what we started with. This new support blocker just places such an object in the scene with a pre-generated cube so that you don't have to go through CAD software.

The more you learn! ^^

But could you create a custom shape in CURA directly and use it as support blocker?

17 minutes ago, ghostkeeper said:

I had not gotten to exploring that option yet :) That is cool!!

27 minutes ago, ghostkeeper said:

in Cura and in Per Model Settings select your mesh to be "Don't support overlap with other models".

Where does this live? I can't seem to find it...

per model settings.png

3 minutes ago, Alex L said:

Where does this live? I can't seem to find it...

Ninjaed by @SandervG ;)

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Beta

Ah, got it, thanks, does this actually do an equivalent of support blocking though? does'nt it just stop support areas from joining different models together? 

Do I need to tell it not to print one of the meshes somehow? Sorry for all of the questions, this is very new and exciting for me!

Edited by Alex L

It is that feature I was annoyed about not getting a mention in the 3.2 video, so you’re forgiven for not knowing about it ;)

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

It is that feature I was annoyed about not getting a mention in the 3.2 video, so you’re forgiven for not knowing about it ;)

Can you comment about the original request of drawing a line in Cura instead of going block by block? (few posts above)

• Like 1

Drawing a polyline on a mesh inside Cura to create new geometry would be quite computationally expensive (to the point of not being feasible for now).

The “christmass may come early” plugin that I may be able to get working will let the user mark individual faces to get support, by painting on the model. But don’t tell anyone, that would ruin the surprise.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

Drawing a polyline on a mesh inside Cura to create new geometry would be quite computationally expensive (to the point of not being feasible for now).

Does it need to be draw on the mesh though? just the ability to draw polylines on the build plate grid which extruded up through space would be perfect. But I know nothing of the complexities of programming! Maybe in a few years it can be Christmas for us all...

Hi Guys, a quick reminder... Next week we are going to start to make the next video where we're going to explain a collection of features of the new Cura quite in depth. (as a reference, find the previous video in this post ). If you want a feature to be explained (ideally from this beta), let us know! 

(I can't promise we'll include every suggestion but we'll do our best!)

On 2018. 04. 10. at 4:58 PM, ahoeben said:

Unfortunately, in doing so you have also removed the logs, so we won't know what went wrong (so chances of it getting fixed will be slim)

Now Cura crashing again. Can you tell me where can I find a the logs?