Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Beta

SandervG

Posted · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Beta
1 hour ago, SandervG said:

Hi Guys, a quick reminder... Next week we are going to start to make the next video where we're going to explain a collection of features of the new Cura quite in depth. (as a reference, find the previous video in this post ). If you want a feature to be explained (ideally from this beta), let us know! 

(I can't promise we'll include every suggestion but we'll do our best!)

I would like to see @ahoeben's additions covered clearly. For instance, although it is my favorite new feature, I did not realize until this thread what had been included before. I am not clear on the wording, but demonstration always makes a difference for the purely visual thinking.

On 4/11/2018 at 6:02 PM, Alex L said:

Does it need to be draw on the mesh though? just the ability to draw polylines on the build plate grid which extruded up through space would be perfect.

Though that makes things easier to implement, the main reason why I am hesitant to do that is that the support blocker acts on the surface of the model. It would be confusing to have two tools, where one would act on the buildplate and one would act on the model. Marking areas on the buildplate alone does not cover cases where you need support that does not "touch the buildplate".

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Tadam said:

Now Cura crashing again. Can you tell me where can I find a the logs?

The Cura logs (cura.log) are found in the "Configuration Folder". Normally, when Cura is not crashing, you can access the configuration folder through the Help menu (Help -> Show configuration folder). Since Cura crashes on startup for you, you will have to locate the folder directly:

• (Windows) %APPDATA%\cura\<Cura version>\cura.log which is usually C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\cura\<Cura version>\cura.log
    • (OSX) ~/Library/Application Support/cura/<Cura version>/cura.log
    • (Ubuntu/Linux) ~/.local/share/cura/<Cura version>/cura.log

1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

Though that makes things easier to implement, the main reason why I am hesitant to do that is that the support blocker acts on the surface of the model. It would be confusing to have two tools, where one would act on the buildplate and one would act on the model. Marking areas on the buildplate alone does not cover cases where you need support that does not "touch the buildplate".

I think this is where having that little 'ahoeben continent' of features explained or demonstrated would be helpful. It may answer the question others have as well as myself.

And, why a continent? Because 'No man (or woman) is an island!' ;p

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

I think this is where having that little 'ahoeben continent' of features explained or demonstrated would be helpful. It may answer the question others have as well as myself.

I wholly support this!

1 hour ago, ahoeben said:

The Cura logs (cura.log) are found in the "Configuration Folder". Normally, when Cura is not crashing, you can access the configuration folder through the Help menu (Help -> Show configuration folder). Since Cura crashes on startup for you, you will have to locate the folder directly:

• (Windows) %APPDATA%\cura\<Cura version>\cura.log which is usually C:\Users\<your username>\AppData\Roaming\cura\<Cura version>\cura.log
    • (OSX) ~/Library/Application Support/cura/<Cura version>/cura.log
    • (Ubuntu/Linux) ~/.local/share/cura/<Cura version>/cura.log

Log is attached.
    Also tried with admin privilidge, and it's working..

cura.log

2 minutes ago, Tadam said:

Log is attached.
    Also tried with admin privilidge, and it's working..

cura.log

Cura seems to have a problem trying to access OpenGL/your GPU.

Cura should not require admin privileges.

8 minutes ago, ahoeben said:

Cura seems to have a problem trying to access OpenGL/your GPU.

Cura should not require admin privileges.

I am not sure why Cura cant access to my gpu (it is an integrated gpu by intel btw). Can it be a conflict with fusion360?

Going though the change log I recognized

Single extrusion mode Ultimaker 3
    Single extrusion mode allows to disable the unused extruder. This has the following positive effects:
    - Printing profiles are optimized to print with a single extruder, increasing print quality.
    - Global settings, like build plate temperature, are set for the active extruder.
    - The ‘print one at a time’ feature is now available.

@ghostkeeper, @nallath, is this REALLY only applicable on UM3 or can it be also applied on an UMO Dual Extrusion?

Can't test it by myself as cura 3.3 beta always crushes at startup (had this also on other betas, wheras on finals it's no issue...)

On 13/04/2018 at 1:41 PM, drayson said:

Going though the change log I recognized

Single extrusion mode Ultimaker 3
    Single extrusion mode allows to disable the unused extruder. This has the following positive effects:
    - Printing profiles are optimized to print with a single extruder, increasing print quality.
    - Global settings, like build plate temperature, are set for the active extruder.
    - The ‘print one at a time’ feature is now available.

@ghostkeeper, @nallath, is this REALLY only applicable on UM3 or can it be also applied on an UMO Dual Extrusion?

Can't test it by myself as cura 3.3 beta always crushes at startup (had this also on other betas, wheras on finals it's no issue...)

No, this is applicable to all multi-extrusion printers, so also UMODE. It allows you to temporarily disable some extruders, preventing the profiles in those extruders from influencing your settings for the extruder you're printing with and allows you to print one-at-a-time.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Introducing Ultimaker Cura 3.3 | Beta
    6 hours ago, ghostkeeper said:

No, this is applicable to all multi-extrusion printers, so also UMODE. It allows you to temporarily disable some extruders, preventing the profiles in those extruders from influencing your settings for the extruder you're printing with and allows you to print one-at-a-time.

@ghostkeeperSo that means the issue with the the start/endcodes which forces all extruders to heatup without cooling the not used one are already fixed?

Edited by drayson

@ghostkeeper,

EDIT1:

had the chance to take a look into it on a PC of y colleague.

Looking at the gcode, if disable one train, it heats up and holds prepared (without cooldown) also the secon (disabled) train...

Any hint to overcome thi issue? From my point of view, this is not usable for UMODE....

@ghostkeeper

EDIT2:

checked what happens if just using train2...

it heats up just T1 (that'Sok), primes it buth then swichtes to T0 (train 1) and tries to prime it even when it's cold...

Seems that there is something wrong... Any hint appreciated...

Edited by drayson

1 hour ago, drayson said:

@ghostkeeperSo that means the issue with the the start/endcodes which forces all extruders to heatup without cooling the not used one are already fixed?

@ghostkeeper,

EDIT1:

had the chance to take a look into it on a PC of y colleague.

Looking at the gcode, if disable one train, it heats up and holds prepared (without cooldown) also the secon (disabled) train...

Any hint to overcome thi issue? From my point of view, this is not usable for UMODE....

@ghostkeeper

EDIT2:

checked what happens if just using train2...

it heats up just T1 (that'Sok), primes it buth then swichtes to T0 (train 1) and tries to prime it even when it's cold...

Seems that there is something wrong... Any hint appreciated...

No, this bug still exists as far as I know. Only I also know that it doesn't occur with the Ultimaker 3, meaning that it's something in the definition files that's different between the two.

The bug was kicked off of our planning because they didn't think it was important enough. But if someone finds out what causes this then we might be able to fix it still.

Have we got a new Beta version of this disaster? 

I really like the idea of some of the features.

17 hours ago, ghostkeeper said:

No, this bug still exists as far as I know. Only I also know that it doesn't occur with the Ultimaker 3, meaning that it's something in the definition files that's different between the two.

The bug was kicked off of our planning because they didn't think it was important enough. But if someone finds out what causes this then we might be able to fix it still.

The difference might be in the start protocoll - UM3 has heatup e.g. onboard - isnt? UMO and other printers does not...

So basically also other multi-train-Marlin-based-non-UM-printers might be affected - correct?

• Like 1

That seems correct. CuraEngine does not take into account enabled/disabled extruders when adding the heatup-sequence:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine/blob/master/src/FffGcodeWriter.cpp#L433

Something for @JackHa or @ghostkeeper to have a look at.

On 17.4.2018 at 10:37 AM, ahoeben said:

That seems correct. CuraEngine does not take into account enabled/disabled extruders when adding the heatup-sequence:

https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine/blob/master/src/FffGcodeWriter.cpp#L433

Something for @JackHa or @ghostkeeper to have a look at.

So no need for me to search the differences in the definition files - it's something in the dept of CuraEngine...

I think so, yes. It might be worth creating an issue over at https://github.com/ultimaker/cura/issues. That will get more dev attention than the post here.

Edit: I don't think it will be fixed for 3.3 though, because the devs are working on something big I hear.

Edited by ahoeben

Well I’m officially miffed. 

Had to reset my PC which is fine, unrelated to cura.

so I thought with a clean slate I’d try 3.3 and still shit.  

Am I the only one with a UM3 where this beta doesn’t work???? 

No response to my comments or log file. 

Any one have it crash when you add the UM3 printer profile???

15 minutes ago, rebekah_harper said:

I have not. But I am running Win 8.1.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, rebekah_harper said:

I have been using (trying out) 3.3 beta with success.  But as I have said in my previous posts, I never put any beta versions on my workstation, but rather on my laptop, where it really doesn't matter.  I especially like working with the Support Blocker, but when combined with the Adaptive Layers functionality, it can be a bit of an adventure.

It is after all beta software . . .  I'm sure the Ultimaker team is doing the best they can to give us a product that they are proud of and we can all enjoy and be productive with.

Help appreciated!

-launch Cura 3.3 Beta after installing.  Agree to license. Can see a pop-up for "allow" of something behind a "select/name your printer" window.

-select my printer (UM3, named "Ultimaker 3" or even "BldrBot")

-window disappears as does all of Cura 3.3. (auto-quit)

Ideas? Suggestions?

incidentally, 15mb log for first launch? wow.

cura.log

7 hours ago, rebekah_harper said:

Can you share logfiles?

40 minutes ago, Msuurmond said:

Can you share logfiles?

I think that is why she is miffed,,,, she did share the log files before.....

40 minutes ago, Msuurmond said:

I do get wanting to get them shared again for fresh info and not having to slog through a bazillion messages though ;)

Edited by kmanstudios