Introducing The Experimental Bridging Settings

burtoogle

Posted · Introducing The Experimental Bridging Settings

Are the circled areas near the top or bottom of the part?  If "bottom" then:

I think it's not cooling enough - maybe lower the bed temp by 5 degrees and make sure cura has the fan at 100% by this layer as it takes sometimes 5mm before cura has the fan at full speed.  The problem is that PLA acts like a liquie rubber band when it comes out of the nozzle and if the layer below isn't quite solid then it pulls it inwards just like as shown in the photo but as it gets farther from the heated bed things get better.

I think those regions are at the top of the print because the horizontal lines that connect them look like they are bridge lines. I would say the cause is most likely a large difference in extruder rate between the bridge lines (low extruder rate) and the lines between the bridge lines (fast extruder rate). The solution is likely to be reduce the difference in extruder rate. That could be done using a higher bridge wall speed and/or flow and a lower non-bridge wall speed and/or flow.

On 3/22/2020 at 12:14 PM, burtoogle said:

Please save the project file (File -> Save) and attach the .3mf file to this thread. Thanks.

just read this entire thread as I've been struggling when deciding whether using bridging/support for a specific model.

I don't think I've ever managed to get a decent result when enabling the bridging options. 

Considering I'm on a 2 month old S3, and knowing it's capabilities, I find myself a bit underwhelmed currently with the results I've been getting. Not limited to bridging either. 

perhaps you could advise on some tips that could give me a good push in the right direction.

side note,

although, I've never reached out to you before, and having read a few different thread topics you've chimed in on, I just wanna say thanks in advance for all the extremely hard work you do, and for being awesome in regards to fixes/updates and responses to everyone in the community.

bless up~

t.

Hello @netminder, thanks for your feedback, it's nice to know one's efforts are not wasted.

Now,  bridging. I think it's always a compromise in the sense that it is difficult to get super tidy bridges with minimal artifacts introduced. The fundamental cause of problems with bridging I think stems from the fact that in the bridge region (walls and skin) you often need to use quite different speed and flow and fan than is used for the rest of the model. Big changes in print speed and extrusion rate are always going to introduce artifacts into the print. e.g. if the bridge wall is printed slower or has a lower flow rate than the non-bridge wall there will be a tendency to over-extrude at the start of the bridge which can cause a loop of filament drooping down right at the start and then at the end of the bridge, the wall that follows will tend to be under-extruded which will leave a visible indentation which may extend for many cm around the model.

The default values that you get when you enable the bridge settings should produce reasonable bridges, at least with PLA.

What exactly are the problems you are seeing? Got any photos? Perhaps you could attach a sample project file that isn't working as well as you would like?

Posted (edited) · Introducing The Experimental Bridging Settings

Has anyone taken the time to find settings to make it behave close to the original settings but just put fan at 100% during bridging?  I don't want all the bridge setting complications.  I was hoping to just tell Cura to speed to fan to 100% for the first bridge layer.  I have some filament that layers do not adhere well at all unless the fan is at 50% but I would like the fan at 100% for first layer bridging (and ideally first layer over top of support).

Edited by Adam324

56 minutes ago, Adam324 said:

Has anyone taken the time to find settings to make it behave close to the original settings but just put fan at 100% during bridging? 

Just set all the bridge wall/skin speed/flows/density to 100% and the bridge wall coasting to 0%. Turn off bridge has multiple layers. I think that should be sufficient, I don't have cura in front of me right now, sorry if that's not quite right.

Hi, i m new to cura and 3d printing in general.

I printed the shape in the first picture below With 20% infill with no problem. Then I tried with zero infill  and just 2 or 3 wall lines (vase mode didn’t work for the shape.) when I ran into a problem at the top of the shape  (see the 2nd picture). 
    I then printed again with the bridge parameters and a 0 as minimum bridge wall lenght (all other parameters I didn’t change) This time although the sides at the top are much better. It seems to still have a problem with the middle portion (rest of the pictures show the printing and final product with the bridge option on). The middle section that it seems to have trouble with is 2 1/2 in long.

Any insight as to how to improve this? Especially since I want to print bigger which means bigger bridges.

thanks 

D1AA6974-FA27-4260-9CF0-3C4D3F2D68A1.jpeg

36893C71-A96D-48E3-8A8E-9D32CB769232.jpeg

162ABCC2-1957-40DD-89B7-C8EB27DA2176.jpeg

6B4C3704-0C72-49E5-926D-29CBA09E96A6.jpeg

2B8D4EB5-73BC-4C48-BF18-E0BCFF9E0729.jpeg

CEF94662-F509-4558-ACE9-E675B3BEC2EB.jpeg

8E4C1348-F0E4-43E8-8117-69C697ED92DF.jpeg

You are going to have to use infill. Bridging isn't meant to be a replacement for infil.

Hello @Veroo, if you could share that model I can take a look at the problem and see if I can get a good result. Please attach the STL file if possible.

• Like 1

here is the STL. Thanks for looking at it.

lips new .stl

Don't know why but I wasn't getting any bridging on the top of that model, just ordinary lines. My current Cura is a little different to the UM releases. Sorry I can't provide any help.

Thanks for trying. I ended up printing it sideways with a support. I wll see if I can find a bridging test gizmo to print. 🙏🙏🙏

Is there a tutorial on how to apply the bridging? I clicked on "Enable Bridge Settings" but it doesn't seem to apply the bridges to my horizontal areas. I'm using Cura.

Edited by 3DPOcreate

Can you please provide some more info? A screen shot or even better, the project file (do File->Save) and attach the .3mf file. thanks.

Hello!

The short version:

I would love an option to flip generated bridge line directions 90 degrees.
    Or: I would love to the option to make the Top line directions relative to the center of the model.

The slightly longer version:
    I like to print my models without infill. It saves time, material and is more visually pleasing if the filament is transparent. I have had success with most models by modeling some strategic supports on the insides, if necessary. However my current project is a circular model made up of hundreds of tiny blocks, so I'm exploring other options.

Using s3d with esun pla+ I get perfect prints even with only 1 wall, 0.15 layer height and 12 top layers. However other materials like silk PLA and petg sag too much and even when increasing the number of top layers I get a bad case of pillowing and holes.

So I've gone to cura. Pretty much with just the Top skin expand distance setting (set to 1mm) I've gotten a perfect top finish (though cura brought issues like underextrusion). But I still have another visual issue to fix. The first (completey unsupported) top layer deposits blobs of plastic on the outer wall, which get pushed outward on subsequent layers, creating ugly scars (and ironically, small gaps).

Before resigning myself to dozens of hours modeling in supports for this first top layer, I delved deeper into cura's dark pit of secrets. I found the experimental bridging settings.

I "tricked" cura into bridging top layers over 0% infill by using an infill density of 0.1% with a concentric infill pattern and the Bridge sparse infill max density at 2%. The generated bridges only have the outer wall as anchor point but at least the line directions are generated relative to the model, unlike the Top line directions. However after some playing with the briding flow, fan etc. the ugly scars persist.

At this point I feel I have exhausted the current tools that cura offers. I found this thread and wondered if you could help me.

If I could flip the bridge line directions 90 degrees, I could have an actual normal bridge near the outer walls, which should capture the blobs of plastic before they get too close to the outer wall.

Also it wouldn't hurt if the second and third layer bridges over sparse infill could be enabled.

What should also help if I could set the Top line directions relative to the center of the model (maybe with a checkbox or as [r45, r135]).

I would love a response!

Nicolas

SAM_0026.thumb.JPG.15e92ce3ca8df84ec4934218dca2a40a.JPG1649650144_2021-01-03(1).thumb.png.e9f01b3a7ef73d4d77e5eee0ba6dbbca.png

On 3/27/2018 at 10:47 AM, burtoogle said:

question out of settings: 

is it possible to have z axle action to make the first bridging layer goes in parabolic line? That will limit the dragging effect by using the internal strength for the material... 

There’s no setting about this yet as I know. 

Hi, I'm using Cura v5 and am having a problem with the bridging feature.  I can't get cura to apply bridging settings to anything other than the first layer of the bridge.  I have multiple layers ticked and have set all 3 of the first bridging layers to print at a slow 10mm/s.  But when I look at the sliced model in speed view, you can see the settings are only applied to the first bridging layer.  I've tried experimenting with many different settings (like support threshold) but still no luck,  I went back and tried in cura 4.13 and still had the same problem.

Maybe someone can help?  Here are some pictures and I've attached a 3mf file,

thanks 🙂

[UPDATE] - Nevermind, I figured it out.  It's because the bridge isn't wide enough to consist of anything other than walls, and the multiple layer settings only apply to skins.  Would be nice though to have a bit more control of multiple layer bridging walls, in particular fan speed.  Maybe sometime in the future....

first layer

image.thumb.png.ad69e90f0121f5ed6bcf9b07f97b42be.png

second layer

image.thumb.png.d0dd102155b062a7e2264c3f78f9d4b5.png

third layer

image.thumb.png.f8a48bac5a888cc13c8ef20da5a2fe9a.png

bridging test multiple layers.3mf

Edited by matt_sculley

See