Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

On 11/7/2018 at 11:49 AM, conny_g said:

@neotko

Currently using the tinker firmware. How does that compare with the duet firmware?

And I use the magnetic tool changer dual mod, is that possible with the duet firmware and how do I implement it there, you mentioned macros?

Tinkergnome did an awesome job to push the um2 firmware that for sure. But the hardware is what it is. Duet3D can do more (and expand to more extruders/tools) and types of heat sensors (the cheap ones or use pt100 with their sensor boards (I use that))

To adapt the tinkergnome to duet3D toolchange theres one challenge that I never did test. The PSU is on the limit for dual, tinkergnome did an awesome job balancing the power use & the heat sequence. But all that could be mimicked with some reverse engineering & using the macros. Duet3D allows to set a max power use for each bed/heaters, so it shouldn’t be more complex that setting the right limit (this is something marlin doesn’t do). 

The advantage is that changing stuff is just gcode txt editing that can be done through the www access of the duet3D. So in terms of trial/error it speeds things up quite a lot compared to firmware-flash-test

@neotko @tinkergnome

Thank you!

I think now my concerns / uncertainties are flushed out and my curiosity rises and I feel like ordering a duet board to put next to the printer for the mod as soon as I have time for it.

Regarding power, I have upgraded my two printers to a 15A PSU from Aliexpress, not having any issues with printer crashes any more, although I have the power budget set to 350W.

So I think that’s not an issue.

• Like 1

Hello users!

Finally I am moving to Duet board, the migration is still in progress but for the moment it is really interesting!

At the moment I have some problem with the configuration of the Z axis.

I have some difficulty especially with the writing of the homez.g .

I hope someone can help me to write and configure it.

@neotko @ultiarjan

Edit: I did the Configuration tool but the homez.g seems incorrect for the um.

Edited by MarcoUbtz

Here is my homez.g

; homez.g
; called to home the Z axis
;
; generated by RepRapFirmware Configuration Tool on Sat Mar 10 2018 12:05:11 GMT+0100 (Mitteleuropäische Zeit)
G91              ; relative positioning
G1 S1 Z215 F1600 ; move Z up until the switch triggers
G1 Z-5.0 F1400
G1 S1 Z7.5 F800 ; move Z up until the switch triggers

In config.g then the following sentence must be present:

M208 X227 Y230 Z210.982 S0

X Y Z you need to adapt to your printer

• Like 1

14 hours ago, zerspaner_gerd said:

In config.g then the following sentence must be present:

M208 X227 Y230 Z210.982 S0

X Y Z you need to adapt to your printer

Does that mean you need to check and adjust the Z value in config.g whenever you change nozzles, for example?

On 11/16/2018 at 4:54 PM, JRDM said:

Does that mean you need to check and adjust the Z value in config.g whenever you change nozzles, for example?

You can set a tool Z offset to realign the Z. That’s specially necessary if you don’t have a calibration tool for the Z or if you keep the endstop at the bottom.

https://duet3d.dozuki.com/Wiki/Gcode#Section_G10_Tool_Offset

Using this you can change the Z offset for the tool (you can do a T0 after changing the main tool Z offset on the config.g so this kicks in).

I moved the endstop to the top to avoid using this specially because the endstop at the bottom makes the Z repetition less accurate (heat, distance, etc can add 0.1 error that for me is not good enough). With an endstop on top, without the metal and a small plastic part to hit the sensor directly my endstop accuracy is near 0.025 max error. So yeah I prefer the endstop on the top not the bottom like um2. 

Another trick to calibrate the bed fast is to do a M18 X Y that will unlock the x and y motors so you can move it by hand and realign the z calibration knobs really fast without the bed assistant stuff. Anyhow mimicking it is quite easy with macros, but IMO totally unnecessary 

• Like 1

On 11/16/2018 at 4:54 PM, JRDM said:

You can also save it with M500 (simply said), so it will be overwritten in "config-override.g".

Thus, there is no need to change the "config.g" file manually

Edit:

But sometimes I just change the value in "config-override.g", goes faster.

Edited by zerspaner_gerd

22 hours ago, zerspaner_gerd said:

You can also save it with M500 (simply said), so it will be overwritten in "config-override.g".

Thus, there is no need to change the "config.g" file manually

Edit:

But sometimes I just change the value in "config-override.g", goes faster.

It still sound a lot more involved and clumsier than the simple "Adjust Z Height" routine in the Tinkergnome menu where I can just turn the dial until the nozzle touches the middle of the plate and clicking saves the zero offset. Is there something I'm missing that can allow similar functionality in Duet?

Same with the level adjustment routine.

I want to get away from Marlin, Tinker Marlin etc but I'm not seeing a way forward on these particular issues.

Edited by JRDM

1 hour ago, JRDM said:

I can just turn the dial until the nozzle touches the middle of the plate and clicking saves the zero offset. Is there something I'm missing that can allow similar functionality in Duet?

RepRap firmware is very open and flexible, runs on modern ARM processors, but is - of course - not polished for an Ultimaker out of the box.

Though it's very easy to add (so called) macros for all kinds of stuff like this. As soon as one starts to add those specific functionality for the particular printer it can become even more convenient then the stock firmware.

It's not limited to (pre-) compiled things like Marlin, one can expand it on its own. Well someone has to do it - and to share it - of course...

For example: i use it on a different printer, added a BLTouch for mesh bed compensation and a filament sensor - makes life so easy...

Such things are not possible with Marlin without recompiling.

6 minutes ago, tinkergnome said:

RepRap firmware is very open and flexible, runs on modern ARM processors, but is - of course - not polished for an Ultimaker out of the box.

Though it's very easy to add (so called) macros for all kinds of stuff like this. As soon as one starts to add those specific functionality for the particular printer it can become even more convenient then the stock firmware.

It's not limited to (pre-) compiled things like Marlin, one can expand it on its own. Well someone has to do it - and to share it - of course...

For example: i use it on a different printer, added a BLTouch for mesh bed compensation and a filament sensor - makes life so easy...

Such things are not possible with Marlin without recompiling.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I love RRF but figuring out how to set it up a certain way can be a chore.

I think maybe I've figured out how to set it up it from the Duet Web Control.

Maestro does offer the ability to use RRF style 12864 LCDs, I really haven't dug into what that offers. I'm not sure if the UM2 front panel is even compatible, I haven't dug into whether a compatible chip is being used there.

1 hour ago, JRDM said:

It still sound a lot more involved and clumsier than the simple "Adjust Z Height" routine in the Tinkergnome menu where I can just turn the dial until the nozzle touches the middle of the plate and clicking saves the zero offset. Is there something I'm missing that can allow similar functionality in Duet?

It's almost as simple, you just move the bed up using the webinterface for leveling (I just use a piece of paper like like I always did on the ultimaker), write down the offset number, and type it into the "config-override.g". Specially as you really don't have to do it often I can't be bothered writing a macro for it. 

But writing macros for the duet is super easy and flexible, also just changing firmware settings thru config files without the need to compile and do difficult stuff is just brilliant.

2 hours ago, ultiarjan said:

It's almost as simple, you just move the bed up using the webinterface for leveling (I just use a piece of paper like like I always did on the ultimaker), write down the offset number, and type it into the "config-override.g". Specially as you really don't have to do it often I can't be bothered writing a macro for it. 

I like to do it on every nozzle change or when I swap bed plates, either can alter the Z offset. I might do one or the other maybe once a week.

I consider writing down the number and editing a file to be to be a step back in quality of user interaction compared to turning a dial and clicking.