Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
Duncan_B

Printer and material profiles lost 3.2.1

I've just upgraded from 3.1 to 3.2.1, no problem there. When running 3.2.1 I noticed I couldn't connect to my printer (via Octoprint), the plugin wasn't installed. Pretty sure it was installed along with 3.1 but anyhow went to install it via the browse plugins UI, clicked on install, then got an error saying something along the lines of 'incorrect plugin file'. Octoprint connection wasnt available even though the plugin browser said it was installed.

So decided to re-open cura just in case and got a fatal error suggesting I backup and reset the configuration, after a couple of attempts to re-open with the same error I duly did as i was told and hit 'Backup and Reset'.

Now, Cura opens fine and i have the octoprint plugin installed but my printer and material configurations haven't loaded. Where will they be and how do i recover them. There doesn't seem to be an 'Import Printer Config' button anywhere and the material import doesn't take the file explorer to where any backups might be.

Any suggestions please?

I am having the same problem.  I upgraded from 3.1 to 3.2.1. on Windows 10.  My profiles came over fine but the octoprint plugin was not installed.  First time I ran the download from the plugin browser I got "incorrect plugin file".  I then restarted Cura as administrator and tried again.  It apparently installed but asked for a restart.  I restarted current and it was not there.  Reinstalling the plugin gave the error again.  I deleted the plugin from both appdata/local and appdata/roaming and still had the same above behaviors. 

Follow up - I cannot get the plugin to install from within Cura.  I deleted every trace of "OctoprintPlugin*" from both the Cura install directory and the AppData directory.  The only way I was able to install it and get it to work was manually from here: https://github.com/fieldofview/OctoPrintPlugin

I downloaded the zip file and moved the directory in the zip file to C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 3.2\plugins\OctoPrintPlugin-3.2

It connected immediately with a new API key from the Octoprint server. 

Just installed the new 3.3.0 and have lost all my printers material and personal settings

Now what?  I thought we fixed this way back in 2.0.x and its back

I purposely didn't remove the 3.2.1 when it asked during install since I know by doing that it kills any chance of remembering the personalized data

Atleast I still have the data (somewhere)

Any help PLEASE

Dr Dave

4 minutes ago, Jakeddesign said:

Same here!!

I just upgraded to 3.3 (from 3.2.1) and lost all my printer information, materials, and profiles!

Is there any way to get them back manually?

You could check this to see if your config is still there: https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Cura-Preferences-and-Settings-Locations

I saved my 3.2.1 version when it asked so I still have my entire settings intact in that version along with that version functional as well

I know many delete the previous version but I try to not do that until I am sure the new version is set and functional

I wonder if by saving it the software then skipped the check for previous datasets and just installed bare software without checking for and saving the previous version as it would have if it was deleting it as it wanted to

I opened a work ticket with details as well

Dr. Dave

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Jakeddesign said:

Here is a link to the zip.

I found them in a folder called "Quality" as I did not have a "Profiles" folder.  They are also not *.curaprofile, so maybe that is the issue?

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1lTUXRu9eKol5X8mV4aqOhj91CAvJ1Q3w

Here is the folder I am digging in:

Could you please send the whole 3.2 folder?

Hi @Jakeddesign, I think they have the *.curaprofile if they are exported.

I'm going to check what caused your issue, but can you attach the whole 3.2 folder please?

I will load your same configuration and figure out why all the profiles are grayed-out for you.  In the meantime, can you check if your Material + Nozzle combination is correct as well? Based on your attached screenshot above, I see the warning icon that's some material incompatibility. This can cause some profiles to appear unsupported.

7 hours ago, ElleCross said:

Hi @Jakeddesign, I think they have the *.curaprofile if they are exported.

I'm going to check what caused your issue, but can you attach the whole 3.2 folder please?

I will load your same configuration and figure out why all the profiles are grayed-out for you.  In the meantime, can you check if your Material + Nozzle combination is correct as well? Based on your attached screenshot above, I see the warning icon that's some material incompatibility. This can cause some profiles to appear unsupported.

I did not export any profiles, I simply anticipated the new version pulling in the old profiles (as it had before).

Manually copying over my main Config profile and all of the filament profiles did what I needed it to do - So i think I am good to go for now.  The print profiles still dont work, but I can live with that.  But in the spirit of trying to figure this out for someone who maybe lost more stuff, I have attached a link to my 3.2.1 folder, 3.3 folder (which I have copied files into), and the original 3.3 folder BEFORE i started manually messing with things.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1w8qEv_z8oOwrVloSOpTa0HdpdL9u1nc1

Thanks everyone for the help

Hey Jake! Good news, we have a new build that contains a fix for your issue - Cura 3.3.1. It will come out in the next few minutes

When you install that, make sure to remove the 3.3 folder.

When you upgrade to 3.3.1, Cura will create a new 3.3. folder, then you'll see the profiles enabled and can be selected again! :D

image.thumb.png.26b65bbc35a793587a0157b672022fe3.png

Sorry to say bug not fixed

Even after removing Cura 3.3.0 and reinstalling the v.1 version the existing printers setting and the like are all still gone

I also used the DO NOT remove 3.2.1 option if that helps

Glad I didn't dive in and assume the fix was valid

Next 3.3.2 I guess is tonight

CURA 3.3.1.jpg

Hi @Drdave, to be sure, the 3.2.1 option that you said you did not delete, do you mean the 3.2 folder in the Cura configuration folder?

In Windows, you can find it in Appdata\Roaming\cura. In Mac, you'll find it in \Application Support\Cura.

If that's not what you mean, can you try and go into those directories and delete 3.3 folder - make sure to leave 3.2 So that when Cura 3.3.1 upgrades, it will copy the old settings you have in 3.2.

If you are still encountering some issues, can you please zip and attach the 3.2 folder from the configuration folder and attach it here? That way we can see and reproduce your issue and find out what is causing this for you.

Edited by ElleCross

@Duncan_B and @pgrunwald, can you please try with the new version: https://ultimaker.com/en/products/ultimaker-cura-software Cura 3.3.1

Before you install and launch it, please make sure to delete the 3.3 folder in the configuration folder. In Windows, you can find it in Appdata\Roaming\cura. In Mac, you'll find it in \Application Support\Cura.

Elle 

Sorry, I removed the 3.3 folders as you suggested then reran the install and still the IDENTICAL issue.  No profiles no printers

I get it that 3D is designed for techies but most of us aren't and this has been going on since late version 1.x but surely since 2.x

The install asks to remove the older version if you say NO then it freaks out and refuses to install properly.

I can't won't remove the older version honestly because I don't trust the new version as has been demonstrated by still another not ready for the release version

I tried to upload the zipped folder the software won't allow it be included help me to help you, please

Dr. Dave

15 hours ago, Drdave said:

Elle 

Sorry, I removed the 3.3 folders as you suggested then reran the install and still the IDENTICAL issue.  No profiles no printers

I get it that 3D is designed for techies but most of us aren't and this has been going on since late version 1.x but surely since 2.x

The install asks to remove the older version if you say NO then it freaks out and refuses to install properly.

I can't won't remove the older version honestly because I don't trust the new version as has been demonstrated by still another not ready for the release version

I tried to upload the zipped folder the software won't allow it be included help me to help you, please

Dr. Dave

We can only help you further if you can give us the complete config folder. With that we can extract it on our development machines and create the exact same situation as you have. If anything goes wrong we can than see it and fix it.