Pause at Height Driving Me Crazy

madadivad

Posted · Pause at Height Driving Me Crazy

Greetings;

I have been going crazy trying to figure out this problem.  The goal is simple...I want to pause a print at a height so I can change the filament.  I am using a Creality CR-10S.  I have been using the "Pause at Height" extension in Cura 3.2.1, and when I use it, it pauses and parks correctly, but when I resume the print, it 1) moves back to my print and starts melting it while 2) it retracts like 15cm, and finally, it 3) tries to start printing with no filament.  Another weird (but less important) thing (as I can fix it by tuning while printing), it always resets my bed temp to 0 C.  Any ideas?  Do you know of a better way to do what I'm wanting to do?  Thanks so much! Adam

My settings are as follows:

Pause Height: 3.2mm

Park Print Head X: 10mm

Park Print Head Y: 10mm

Retraction: 5mm

Retraction Speed: 25mm/s

Extrude Amount: 0mm

Extrude Speed: 3.333 mm/s

Redo Layers: 1

Standby Temperature: 0 C

Resume Temperature 190 C

Sounds like it's an issue with the extrusion mode being absolute but then it's getting reset back to 0 when resuming after the pause and so the printer is rewinding the filament? Can your printer use relative extrusion? If so, try enabling that (special modes) and see if it helps.

• 2 months later...

Did you find a solution to this madadivad? I'm having the same issue with my Lulzbot - they have their own branch of Cura, but the plugin is likely identical. Looking at the gcode, I saw that right before it starts printing after the pause there's M82 (set extruder to absolute) and G92 E## (which sets the extruder to a certain position). My guess is that when I'm manually extruding during the pause to load the new filament, the print job is actually seeing that as the extruder moving forward. Then when it gets to that G92 command it assumes it has to retract a bunch to get to that position. Only thing is I don't see any options to switch to relative mode in Cura as smartavionics has suggested. Perhaps the standard version of Cura has it, but Lulzbot removed it from their's?