Painted twice and Plated once T-REX skull

cloakfiend

Posted (edited) · Painted twice and Plated once T-REX skull

Here we have the classic T-rex skull, i was gonna throw it out a while back because the paint job was poor, as i was experimenting with sculpt nouveaus metal paints which turned out nice for a few months but as i didn't seal them they went matt and lame. then I decided to patina the metallic paint and then paint over it a few times i think and then I just left it. So now i plated it and it was not the best as the many layers of paint act as a pillow against the solid PLA so buffing it took longer and it was harder to make super shiny. My Mecha Black primer is much better than my old primer which the conductive paint didn't stick to at all and came loose after heavy buffing or wire brush sanding/polishing. I wasn't sure whether my plating solution is dead yet as i poured in some more acid and some brightener, but still no bright shiny plate. My next plate will be with new solution, and I will monitor much more closely when the solution starts to either dull, salmonise or just slow down. I could plate things in 10 - 50 mins before, now it takes hours. 4-6 to be sure, but I must admit if you are going to be plating and patina or buffing or sanding after, then longer is better as burning or scraping a hole while polishing is a real let down. Lucky I have a feel for it now. It tend to go wobbly before you go through, but its easy to get bored or pissed of with polishing taking too long which makes you go too hard and fast and ruin the job!!! patience is key here and the midas touch.

20180409_011108.jpg

20180409_141242.jpg

IMG_1285.JPG

IMG_1273.JPG

IMG_1274.JPG

IMG_1275.JPG

IMG_1279.JPG

IMG_1281.JPG

IMG_1287.JPG

Screen Shot 2018-04-09 at 14.39.33.png

Edited by cloakfiend
  • Like 4

Posted · Painted twice and Plated once T-REX skull

Lol, Thanks for the compliments, My next piece is a mix of an old marble sculpture 'Undine Rising' and my crazy hair styles mixed into one. I got tired of doing all the folds and spent too long on it already, I need more practice. Seeing as it took so long I thought id adapt it and make it my own but I really wanted to keep the character body and pose of the original as I love that oldskool look. stay tuned! Im gonna print it big too!.....well as big as my UM2 lol! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cloakfiend said:

My next piece is a mix of an old marble sculpture 'Undine Rising' and my crazy hair styles mixed into one

This I am looking forward to!

• 2 weeks later...

For this particular model the dark photos look best, I think. They look like well preserved fossils you sometimes see in museums., or like the Oetzi-man they discovered in the Alps some years ago in the Oetztaler Alpen, but then a bit polished up.  :)

I am still amazed at the photographic quality you get with that setup.