Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
jb011a9840

Changing the time on UM3E

Hi folks,

This may seem like a stupid question, but how do you change the time on the UM3E? 

I've started pulling API data from the printer (http://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/api/v1/print_job) to monitor the status so I can plan when the next job can be put into the machine 

The "datetime_started" is 1 hour out against local time (Edinburgh) I'm not sure if it's not updated to British Summer Time (I use the word Summer loosely :) ) or it syncs with a time server in Europe.

Any help would be great.

Cheers

Jamie

I'm guessing it's more about the time zone.  Mine keeps perfect time but it's in UTC which is basically the time in England but without daylight savings.  It connects to a time server regularly on the internet so is extremely accurate.  Here is an article for setting the time zone.  This worked for my UM3:

https://linuxacademy.com/blog/linux/changing-the-time-zone-in-linux-command-line/

To get into the computer in your UM3 use ssh:   ssh root@1.2.3.4 (where 1.2.3.4 is the ip address of your um3 - it has to be in developer mode)

password is "ultimaker".

If you don't know ssh I suppose maybe it's time to learn?  Or maybe you should just not bother?  On windows I use putty.  On linux or Mac you can use ssh directly from command line.

Something strange has now happened, the printer has been working fine with the updated time, however recently whenever the printer is powered down and back up the time resets to 01/01/1970? 

I've went through the process of resetting the time / date and it works until the machine is power cycled:

https://www.garron.me/en/linux/set-time-date-timezone-ntp-linux-shell-gnome-command-line.html

Is there a version of a "BIOS" battery in the UM3 that could be flat?

We don't have a battery on the mainboard(s). So for timekeeping, we rely on network connectivity in order to get the correct time. At boot, this is not directly available, which might lead to seeing the UNIX epoch time until we have resolved the right UTC time.

The printer is on a wired connection with a reserved DHCP address, its been about 3hrs since it was last put through a power cycle and it still shown the 1970's. Does the printer use the network to pull the time and date from a NTP server?