Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
MalibuLX3

Help my diagnoise my bathtub boat

I'm very new to 3D printing and I just got a UM2 that I've been enjoying learning how to use.  I've been tweaking some settings here and there, but I would like to ask for help in understanding what settings I should adjust in order to improve this my print of the bathtub boat

Specifications:

• Print at 75% of the original model size
  • Sliced in Cura 3.2.1
  • Maker Shed PLA
  • Nozzle temperature 210
  • Build plate temperature 60
  • Profile set to low quality
    • 15mm layer height
    • 1mm wall thickness
    • Retraction enabled
    • Print cooling enabled
    • 60 mm/s print speed
    • 120 mm/s travel speed

I realize that I selected "low quality" for print, but are the results in line with what you you expect of a the "low quality" setting?  I can try again with a smaller layer height, but I'm not sure layer height is the right thing to start adjusting at this point.

Please check out the pictures below and let me know your thoughts.

image3.jpeg

image4.jpeg

image1.jpeg

image5.jpeg

image2.jpeg

Edited by MalibuLX3

I have no experience with low-quality settings. I think most people go for medium to good quality, and then they often adjust the settings to their preferences, models and materials, by trial and error, for a better quality.

I would suggest you try the same model in 0.1mm layer height, 25mm/s print speed, 195°C nozzle temp, 60°C bed temp. And see what that gives? That should be quite good quality, similar to the photos on the website you mentioned. Or even better: try a smaller testmodel first with various settings, before doing a big model? This will let you gain more experience in a shorter time.

It's very hard to see in the photos and on a black model, but the underside seems to be a little rough. So I think your nozzle might be a little bit too far away from the glass. When printing the skirt (=outline around the object), inspect how thin the first layer is, and maybe try adjusting the three screws for bed calibration a little bit closer (I don't know by head in which direction, you need to look that up). I my models, the underside is normally quite flat and really glossy.