Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions
6 hours ago, Daid said:

Sounds to me like a problem area actually. PLA or PVA above 45C is problematic to catastrophic. So you wouldn't want that in a heated build environment...

Hi

I have a couple of fully enclosed printers. They get used almost exclusively for small ABS parts. There are very few other materials that print nicely in them. Enclosed is great when you need it. The rest of the time ..... not so much.  I'd also mention that the UM3 is the first dual extruder machine I've owned where that part actually works properly. I'd be very careful in that area ....

Bob

• Like 1

On 4/23/2018 at 3:49 PM, Brulti said:
On 4/23/2018 at 12:46 PM, nallath said:

Don't pin me down on it, but the 4 was skipped due to bad associations with the number 4 in China / Japan. The S stands for studio.

Yeah, that's what you say... But we all know that is not the real reason... #UM4Conspiracy  ;p

Hi! Just got back from the show at Hannover where we released the Ultimaker S5. I've tried to read most of the comments but I didn't really have time to reply any sooner. I'll try to get back on some of the comments here, if there is anything left behind feel free to tag me :)

Regarding why the Ultimaker 4 was skipped; when we launched the Ultimaker 3 we learned from a lot of users that they interpret this as a replacement from the Ultimaker 2+. Because of the consecutive numbers. But this was wrong. As you have read here a few times already, and in many replies to the Ultimaker 3, it was not a replacement of the Ultimaker 2+. It was/is an expansion of our product portfolio. Both are great printers, and serve a different audience with different needs. 

We learned a lesson from this feedback, and did not want to give the impression the grand Ultimaker S5 would replace the Ultimaker 3. Although some features are shared, it offers a whole bunch of new features and improved user experience. With a strong focus on reliability and ease of use. (This reaches far beyond just the hardware. I'm talking about the integration with the printer, Cura, Cura Connect and the materials). And to top of that full circle user experience, have you already read our new alliance with these material manufacturers?

..Anyway, the Ultimaker S5 is not replacing the Ultimaker 3. Therefore, it is not called Ultimaker 4. S stands for Studio/office, because we see these professional users benefit most from this full circle ecosystem. Hope this clears things up a little bit. Let me know if you have any further questions! :)

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SandervG said:

And to top of that full circle user experience, have you already read our new alliance with these material manufacturers?

:whoop:

That's some awesome news! I'm glad I convinced my partner to invest in a UM printer and not another brand, at least when it comes to FDM technology. More materials, profiles already available for these, and, maybe, NFC-equipped spools for all these brands? A printer's dream I would say! ^^

• Like 2

On 4/24/2018 at 12:13 AM, uncle_bob said:

Hi

Low price leader has never been UM's place in the market. There have always been ( and always will be ) lower purchase price options. The only way they will continue to justify their market position is by continuing to deliver printers that do a better job. That's not to say this or that print is better under a microscope than some other print. How much do I have to fiddle to get this or that done? What sort of up time do I get on the printer? If there is a problem, what sort of support is there? How close to an  "end to end" solution is it ? ( = does the software vendor point at the hardware vendor and vice versa while nothing comes out right?). Indeed with enough time invested I can make just about any POS printer turn out a part. That may or may not be a good use of my time. If it is, I'll buy something cheap. If I need to put a lot of stuff through the printer for weeks and months on end, getting less than 60 hours a week on good prints may not make any sense. Are there other good vendors out there? Sure there are. I have yet to find a good one who is also cheap .....

Bob

Thank you for your response, this is indeed very true and close to our viewpoint. With the launch of this new 3D printer, the Ultimaker S5, I can understand it is tempting to only look at the hardware which was just revealed to the market, (which is definitely worth the look!), but it is only a part of a puzzle we offer as a solution from Ultimaker. Not everyone needs that full puzzle though. Luckily many elements are also available separately, like Cura, materials and our investment in creating them. And our community obviously :) It's up for everyone to decide which part, and how big of a part of that 'puzzle' they want to incorporate in their workflow. 

I'm personally quite a fan of having every piece of the puzzle coming from the same provider, something that UM does quite nicely between the printers, CURA and this forum and it's community. Plus, UM seems to keep a close eye on the resellers, to ensure a similar consumer experience for everyone around the world, which is always a plus.

While the learning curve has been a bit rough at times, and tehre's room for improvement on many things, most of said improvements having been written somewhere on this forum, the overall experience with my UM3E printer and UM in general has been a very positive one.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

I looked at the list real quickly and was wondering if ColorFabb would be one of these hiding under a corporate name?

Ah, you got that wrong. ColorFabb buys their raw materials from these companies. Or in a car analogy, ColorFabb is your local car shop+repair, these companies are the car manufacturers. (Does not go up entirely, but shows the difference in operation scale)

These material companies are the type where you ask for a sample of material, and they ask how many metric tons of pellets you want, not a few kg, tons. They make the plastics themselves, not the filament, the knowledge they have is huge. (Most likely the production chain is something like, Oil->Shell->DSM->ColorFabb->Ultimaker3->3D-Print, but I could be slightly wrong here)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, XYZDesignPro said:

So what do you think the chances are that filament vendors like ColorFabb, Taulman etc. might begin producing spools of filament with Ultimaker NFC chips?

Hi

I think that is a completely independent thing vs the partnership with the bulk material producers. Put another way - it's a software thing ..... You have to get a bunch of fiddly little things worked out in Cura and the firmware as well as on the chip it's self.  There are a number of threads around going into all the details. 

What this *might* turn into is a set of "Ultimaker approved" filaments from various outfits. That would be a first step towards NFC integration, but only a first step. Given the ( unfortunately  ) smaller size of the 2.85 mm filament market .....who knows how long it might take to get very many people interested. 

Bob

11 hours ago, XYZDesignPro said:

So what do you think the chances are that filament vendors like ColorFabb, Taulman etc. might begin producing spools of filament with Ultimaker NFC chips?

10 hours ago, uncle_bob said:

Hi

I think that is a completely independent thing vs the partnership with the bulk material producers. Put another way - it's a software thing ..... You have to get a bunch of fiddly little things worked out in Cura and the firmware as well as on the chip it's self.  There are a number of threads around going into all the details. 

What this *might* turn into is a set of "Ultimaker approved" filaments from various outfits. That would be a first step towards NFC integration, but only a first step. Given the ( unfortunately  ) smaller size of the 2.85 mm filament market .....who knows how long it might take to get very many people interested. 

Bob

I understand we strongly recommend those manufacturers to include an NFC chip on their filament, but it is optional. If they don't (or before they do), you should be able select their material manually in Cura and pull in the parameters that way. But I'm not sure when the first profiles will be visible in Cura yet.

2 minutes ago, SandervG said:

I understand we strongly recommend those manufacturers to include an NFC chip on their filament, but it is optional. If they don't (or before they do), you should be able select their material manually in Cura and pull in the parameters that way. But I'm not sure when the first profiles will be visible in Cura yet. 

How will it be treated in the firmware? Still generic or get listings like they exist now for UM materials?

3 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

How will it be treated in the firmware? Still generic or get listings like they exist now for UM materials?

I imagine they get retrieved through the internet. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, SandervG said:

I imagine they get retrieved through the internet. 

That could get messy with a super long list to dig through. I await the solution(s) that are presented :) Thanks!

Just now, kmanstudios said:

That could get messy with a super long list to dig through. I await the solution(s) that are presented :) Thanks!

If you would have to go through all vendors and all filaments yes, but I'm sure there will be a smarter way. I heard something about a possibility to use a short code that represented a specific filament from a vendor which could be on the packaging. Like you say, let's wait the solutions that are presented! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, SandervG said:

If you would have to go through all vendors and all filaments yes, but I'm sure there will be a smarter way. I heard something about a possibility to use a short code that represented a specific filament from a vendor which could be on the packaging. Like you say, let's wait the solutions that are presented! 

Absolutely. 'Tis easy to find or identify a problem. But until you tear into the guts of something, making a solution is really just throwing darts. Evolutionary is a good thing. :)

Well done for the S5.

Question concerning the "tough PLA". Will it suitable for former UM?  I do have UM 2+.

11 minutes ago, Bollicine said:

Well done for the S5.

Question concerning the "tough PLA". Will it suitable for former UM?  I do have UM 2+.

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem :)

@SandervG will Ultimaker be also offering the new alu build plate for UM3/UM2+ user later this year ? 

1 hour ago, cjs said:

@SandervG will Ultimaker be also offering the new alu build plate for UM3/UM2+ user later this year ? 

I don't think that will be necessary, because the initial motivation to work with the alu build plate was because needed more bed adhesion when using some of the engineering materials and close to the full bed capacity on the Ultimaker S5. The Active leveling method will also improve for the Ultimaker 3 I believe, so you should be fine with the normal glass plate. 

Nope, that doesn't seem to be in the planning for now, sorry.

5 hours ago, kmanstudios said:

Ooh! I know that one. Cura can talk to the printer / Connect cluster. It will handle the magic of ensuring that the printer knows about it. We might add a way for a printer (by means of connect interface perhaps?) to download material packages by itself / by user instruction at some point in the future. Right now, we notice that quite a few companies have their UM's on a strict "No internet for you" diet, so we let desktop Cura be in charge for a bit (As we usually do have internet access there).

For the s5 there is a pretty good reason to have more NFC spools, as we can actually track material usage and write it back to the spool. That means that even if you switch out a spool to another s5, the second machine still knows how much material is left.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, nallath said:

For the s5 there is a pretty good reason to have more NFC spools, as we can actually track material usage and write it back to the spool. That means that even if you switch out a spool to another s5, the second machine still knows how much material is left.

Squeal!!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nallath said:

Oh, Goddess, yes, please! Do that! And please make this feature also compatible with UM3/E, please, pretty please with a cherry on top!

HA!! Farscape!!! Luv it!!

1 minute ago, Brulti said:

Oh, Goddess, yes, please! Do that! And please make this feature also compatible with UM3/E, please, pretty please with a cherry on top!

The problem is that with the UM3 and with the UM3E we only know what we try to extrude. Not what we were actually able to extrude. As most of you probably have encountered at some point in time; These two are not the same. That's where the magic of the flow sensor plays a role; then we have a much better idea of what is going on.

As far as I know, the S5 won't do it from launch (because there is always to much to do for a launch ;)). But i don't think it will take long for it to be added.

• Like 1