Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

I'm finding this interesting. On my UM3, the auto leveling fails regularly. On  the UMS5, I have not seen it fail yet. I've been running this almost non stop since I got it, running 4 to 5 day long prints. 

My wifi is odd (secured in an odd manner), so I run exclusively off the USB port.

4 minutes ago, CXCimager said:

I've been running this almost non stop since I got it, running 4 to 5 day long prints. 

So, not so much auto leveling iterations when you level once per week ? Sorry couldn't resist ? 

I have no issues with auto leveling with my S5 and not with the UM3. Only one time, the leveling failed on the S5, but there was a blob on glass which I have overseen.

I too have only had the autoleveling fail on the S5 infrequently -about 5 times in the 3 months I have had it.  Every time it was some filament stuck to the nozzles.

There are problems with the S5, but the auto level is not one of them in my opinion.

Re: S5 Leveling failures....

Lucky Bastiches ?

seriously, it is not the active leveling that is failing, it is the first part where it checks the nozzles. And it is an odd occurence when it happens because it makes no sense.

My prints usually run 5 days to about two weeks. But, when it happens and gets into a cycle of telling me that there is a problem, or the buildplate  not even making it to the nozzles before telling me there is a problem or, not even cleaning the nozzles (again) and it works, then it is not really good.

This thread has been fascinating to follow.   I also can't find a single review on the Ultimaker S5 on YouTube ?

11 minutes ago, LePaul said:

This thread has been fascinating to follow.   I also can't find a single review on the Ultimaker S5 on YouTube ?

There are a many by Ultimaker and a couple apart from them however, most are simply marketing propaganda.

I shared this with both Ultimaker and the distributor because after; in my case 5 months of being released I expected many.

The best I can figure is it because the target market is business with a much higher price point that this eliminated the typical individual user base as such reviews are not the norm.

Here are a couple that you I watched;

Yeah I've seen those and they are very limited.

I was expecting something from Tom's 3D or the 3D Printing Nerd.  Or how about that remarkable guy at Where Nerdy is Cool?   (Couldn't resist...the latter is me ?   )

Are there any reviews for any printers on youtube where the printer costs >= $6000 or 6000 euros?

I'm not making a statement.  I'm really asking.  For example has Joel 3d printing nerd or Tom Salanderer ever reviewed a >=$6000 printer?

18 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Are there any reviews for any printers on youtube where the printer costs >= $6000 or 6000 euros?

I'm not making a statement.  I'm really asking.  For example has Joel 3d printing nerd or Tom Salanderer ever reviewed a >=$6000 printer?

Not that I have seen.

I am thinking about buying an S5. I have a UM2+ MK2, which i liked a lot, until i bought a UM3 for my job. Now i find de UM2+ ok, but just a litlle bit to "fiddly" compared to the UM3.

Are there issues with this S5 machine?

Truth be told, the 5S is basically a UM3 with a far larger build area. So if you are happy with the UM3 and you want a larger build area then the 5S makes sense. However, if you you don't need the build area you may as well save your money and get a UM3.

5 hours ago, Xalara said:

Truth be told, the 5S is basically a UM3 with a far larger build area. So if you are happy with the UM3 and you want a larger build area then the 5S makes sense. However, if you you don't need the build area you may as well save your money and get a UM3.

I see 4 important differences:

-Build volume (although it is a nice to have, not neccesary)

-Print quality. 

-Ease of use. Particulary network printing, love the "hotspot" tought.

-Filament run out sensor.

But is all this worth the price difference? Not sure.

It is really hard to say, but the UM3 and S5 are, basically the same. You got a much better feeder, filament sensor and touch display with the S5 and ofc a bigger build volume. The glass doors are also a nice feature. But if your budget is not that issue, I would go with the S5, because I like those small extras and I like the bigger volume.

My first printer was the UM3 (not extended) because I thought the build volume is enough and I don't print larger things. But after a short time, I had to scale down some models because they were too big for the UM3. Cutting a larger object is one possibility, but gluing together could be really terrible.

The second printer was a UM2 GO, yes the completely the opposite, but I love this machine. I print most of my technical parts on this printer, because it is so quick. There is a huge speed difference between UM2 and UM3/S5, because of the dual head and the weight of it. So if I want to print a quick part, I do it on the UM2GO. Regarding print quality, I would say, that the UM2GO has the best quality of my 3 printers.

And then comes the S5 and I love it too, but mainly because of the big build volume.

So I would suggest to buy an UM3 if you are low on budget or if enough budget available buy an UM S5. The UM 3 Extended is out of scope in my opinion, it is too expensive for just 10cm more in Z and the difference to the S5 is not so big.

22 hours ago, gr5 said:

I've seen reviews for Stratasys and other high end printers   ?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, LePaul said:

I've seen reviews for Stratasys and other high end printers   ?

One of the few things that made me laugh this week.

I mean, one of the reasons I abandoned those printers was that the filament alone cost twice as much for half as much. That was a while ago, but I am not going searching just to verify current pricing.

22 hours ago, LePaul said:

I keep meaning to do one on my small channel but I don't think Ultimaker would be best pleased as I think as things stand it's a bit of a mixed bag....

I couldn't sing it's praises at the moment, it's good but it's not £6500 good tbh.

38 minutes ago, Bigbrit said:

I keep meaning to do one on my small channel but I don't think Ultimaker would be best pleased as I think as things stand it's a bit of a mixed bag....

I couldn't sing it's praises at the moment, it's good but it's not £6500 good tbh.

Your honest comment is appreciated.

Takes care 

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions
    1 hour ago, Shadowman said:

Your honest comment is appreciated.

Takes care 

I will do one in the coming weeks and post it here.  I think it's important there are more reports about the machine on SM other than Ultimakers own media.

I love the printer, I am just disappointed in it (as you can read in my earlier comments in this thread)

Ultimaker come on guys, you have dropped the ball.  Pick it up and sort it out.

Also some more communication on this forum would not go a miss in my opinion.  Silence is not good!

Edited by Bigbrit

1 hour ago, Bigbrit said:

I will do one in the coming weeks and post it here.  I think it's important there are more reports about the machine on SM other than Ultimakers own media.

I love the printer, I am just disappointed in it (as you can read in my earlier comments in this thread)

Ultimaker come on guys, you have dropped the ball.  Pick it up and sort it out.

Also some more communication on this forum would not go a miss in my opinion.  Silence is not good!

Perfect and I agree.

I have remained and continue to be support albeit very disappointed and I have made my feeling known both here and to Ultimaker directly.

The S5 today is “not” what I was assured that it was and it has been nearly 6 months since it was released and I see no significant improvements; I hold out hope that significant progress is evidenced when the new firmware is released; any day now.

With regards to the YouTube videos; I have never seen so many marketing propaganda videos as those solicited by a Ultimaker for the S5 when compared to unbiased and objective views by “end users”.

Takes care and “thank you”. 

BTW; no squeaks = no grease as such I also agree that many more folks need to share their “real” experiences and opinions based on a “high end” printer marketed by Ultimaker as a turn key business tool.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Smithy said:

It is really hard to say, but the UM3 and S5 are, basically the same. You got a much better feeder, filament sensor and touch display with the S5 and ofc a bigger build volume. The glass doors are also a nice feature. But if your budget is not that issue, I would go with the S5, because I like those small extras and I like the bigger volume.

My first printer was the UM3 (not extended) because I thought the build volume is enough and I don't print larger things. But after a short time, I had to scale down some models because they were too big for the UM3. Cutting a larger object is one possibility, but gluing together could be really terrible.

The second printer was a UM2 GO, yes the completely the opposite, but I love this machine. I print most of my technical parts on this printer, because it is so quick. There is a huge speed difference between UM2 and UM3/S5, because of the dual head and the weight of it. So if I want to print a quick part, I do it on the UM2GO. Regarding print quality, I would say, that the UM2GO has the best quality of my 3 printers.

And then comes the S5 and I love it too, but mainly because of the big build volume.

So I would suggest to buy an UM3 if you are low on budget or if enough budget available buy an UM S5. The UM 3 Extended is out of scope in my opinion, it is too expensive for just 10cm more in Z and the difference to the S5 is not so big.

I think this pretty much covers it. I am into simplicity. (otherwise i would not buy expensive UM printers)

2 printers at home are a no go for me. And the Go is to small. The S5 is ofcourse the ultimate machine, but besides the build volume, which i now realise, is "only" 240mm (when printing roud or symetrical parts) there is no real advantage. The rest are nice to haves, but...

Maybe for the price difference can add a nice scanner ?

Anyway, i have to go the store to see the S5 in action, and then i will be able to make the final conclusion.

Edited by RudydG

I've had a UM2+ for a couple of years and been extremely happy with it, and have recommended it to others.  I design and build functional prototypes for the electronics and LED lighting industry. I had been thinking about upgrading to a UM3 or UM5,  but it is a rare occasion when I have wished I had a dual extruder or needed a bigger build volume.  I guess I have just learnt to design using minimal support structures and will often make the item in two parts, print them together, and then glue them together to eliminate the need for support structures. 

The UM2+ has been essentially bullet proof in it's operation.  Seems can't be said for the UM3 or UM5, sadly,  or the later versions of Cura. Think I will stick with the UM2+ and Cura Ver 2.x  for the time being, until Ultimaker get these products back on track and bug free again, without the customer having to be the guinea pig at their own time, frustration and expense.

But  I do love my UM2+ and Cura Ver 2.x.....!!!!

Ofc the UM2+ is still a great printer and for sure the choice if you don't need dual extrusion or a bigger build volume. Beside that the UM2+ is much faster than UM3 or S5. Thats the reason whyI love my UM2GO so much.

Edited by Smithy