Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

Not an easy decision, but I am happy with both. I have a UM3 and bought later the S5. Both printers are great, but compared with the S5, the UM3 looks now old school. The touch display and the overall look and feel with the glass doors is different. 

Both printers have similar features and possibilities, except the ones you already mentioned. The filament sensor is not only useful when running out of filament, but also helps when the filament gets stuck for some reasons.

For me, the main reason to buy the S5 was the build volume. Compared with the UM3 it is huge. (I have the normal UM3, not the extended) And with the bigger build volume, you have much more possibilities.

Regarding speed you are right, both are not sprinters, but they print reliable and beautiful. In the beginning, I was a little bit disappointed that the speed is not so good, but now I don't care anymore if it takes a little bit longer, it is more important that I get reproducible results.

I would buy the S5 again, it is a great work machine, and the price difference between UM3 Extended and S5 is not that big. But yes if you compare it with the normal UM3 and don't need the additional features from the S5 then the UM3 could be the better choice for you. But also keep in mind that new things, like the CC core or maybe some add-ons for the Ultibus, will only come for the S5. So I think the S5 is much more future proof than the UM3.

52 minutes ago, RudydG said:

Am i thinking right?

In all seriousness, only you can decide. It really depends on your goals.

I can get a lot of things done on my S5 that I cannot on the UM3 Extended.

One thing to consider is the use of abrasive materials. The S5 does have a hardened feeder wheel. The UM3 series does not.

External size is there to allow for *lot* more of the buildplate to be used.

MUCH easier to load and unload.

While I am decent at 'looking ahead' on material left on a spool it still will bite me on the patootie when I miscalculate. Did so yesterday after returning from the Dr. Appointment. Danged UM3E had run out of material. Had to take the feeder off because the vendor used tape on the lead end on the spool to secure the filament when initially winding it. While it did not drag all the tape into the feeder, it dragged enough to create an issue. It was all my fault, but hey, mistakes do happen.

And honestly, speed is something of an overall generalization in that even on the Um3 series and below it can be an issue. I constantly see posts where people are told to slow down the print speeds. I am printing two prints right now on my UM3Es that anything above 20ms will cause issues. But, then, I do not print things like most others do....most of it is a bit oddball as far as 3D printing usage goes. I find most want to make mechanical things and I do spindly, organic stuff for the most part. And that is also done on the UM3E and S5. So, I do know the S5 can handle delicate things.

• Like 1

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

I too would purchase the S5 again even with the issues and disappointments as shared in previous posts as I expect them to be resolved soon.

It has a great build volume which offers great flexibility other than simply large prints, it prints a consistent quality piece, and the filament sensor has saved me several times; I have never run out of filament but rather had the filament bind on the spool. The improved leveling system also does a great job.

Add to all of this, with a consistent quality print being at the top of my list which the S5 produces; the S5 has numerous improvements such as the glass doors, stepper motors, filament feeder, the touch screen, as well as the potential for future upgrades; so if space is not a concern, then I highly encourage the purchase of the S5 as the net cost difference is modest.

Takes care 

Edited by Shadowman
    Additional

On 12/1/2018 at 12:29 PM, kmanstudios said:

In all seriousness, only you can decide. It really depends on your goals.

I can get a lot of things done on my S5 that I cannot on the UM3 Extended.

One thing to consider is the use of abrasive materials. The S5 does have a hardened feeder wheel. The UM3 series does not.

External size is there to allow for *lot* more of the buildplate to be used.

MUCH easier to load and unload.

While I am decent at 'looking ahead' on material left on a spool it still will bite me on the patootie when I miscalculate. Did so yesterday after returning from the Dr. Appointment. Danged UM3E had run out of material. Had to take the feeder off because the vendor used tape on the lead end on the spool to secure the filament when initially winding it. While it did not drag all the tape into the feeder, it dragged enough to create an issue. It was all my fault, but hey, mistakes do happen.

And honestly, speed is something of an overall generalization in that even on the Um3 series and below it can be an issue. I constantly see posts where people are told to slow down the print speeds. I am printing two prints right now on my UM3Es that anything above 20ms will cause issues. But, then, I do not print things like most others do....most of it is a bit oddball as far as 3D printing usage goes. I find most want to make mechanical things and I do spindly, organic stuff for the most part. And that is also done on the UM3E and S5. So, I do know the S5 can handle delicate things.

Bit the bullet, S5 is in the house 😉

Does anyone has made a drox at the back of an s5? I have a Polybox, works good, but is not compact, i think i will make a box myself, that is "connected" to the back of the S5.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RudydG said:

Does anyone has made a drox at the back of an s5? I have a Polybox, works good, but is not compact, i think i will make a box myself, that is "connected" to the back of the S5.

Gratulations, good decision :-). My Polybox is on the way, but I will put it on the floor behind the printer, let's see. If you are looking for ideas, there are some dryboxes on youmagine and thingiverse also with "extended" NFC reader.

i don't think this is worth starting a new thread for so ill post it here if you don't mind... what is this...???

it was in the accessories box for my S5.

widget1s5.JPG

It's a small calibration print we made to test and demonstrate that your Ultimaker works according to standards. 

23 hours ago, SandervG said:

It's a small calibration print we made to test and demonstrate that your Ultimaker works according to standards. 

Thats cool!

Edited by ScanHD
    clickfart fixed

12 hours ago, RudydG said:

Hi,

yes, I have made a drybox which sits at the back of my company's S5 (it's not really "connected" except by the NFC reader cable, though). I used this spool holder bracket, which works very well for the S5 spool holder: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2559491. Make sure you use a box with thick, stiff walls though, that can handle the weight of the spools. I also use the filament retainers found in this thread:

to make sure the material doesn't unspool and entangles.

1 hour ago, ScanHD said:

(edit : i just realised i posted the question in the wrong thread. i was aiming for the S5 first impressions thread. Please excuse me, im new here )

Fixed that for ya 😉

Switched that S5 thing on after several weeks of not touching it.

And now the Slicer in Cura 3.6.0-PPA is broken. AGAIN. Same as a YEAR ago.

No matter how small the file is, the slicer stops at about 40%.

It is just hopeless trying to do anything with the S5. There is basically every time something broken.

And, by the way, I still have not received the promised aluminum print bed.

The S5 is an endless nightmare of disfunctionality and annoyances. For a horrible price tag.

It ruins every attempt to work productively on a project.

You will waste a lot of money and - much worse - time for debugging, more debugging, and even more debugging. It never ends. You won't do much else but trying to debug it.

I would definitely not buy it again.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, asb said:

It is just hopeless trying to do anything with the S5. There is basically every time something broken.

The S5 is an endless nightmare of disfunctionality and annoyances. For a horrible price tag.

You will waste a lot of money and - much worse - time for debugging, more debugging, and even more debugging. It never ends. You won't do much else but trying to debug it.

Ugh....

Then these threads will only compound your frustration.

Takes care 

Edited by Shadowman
    Additional
    • Like 1

After using the S5 now for a couple of weeks i find it a very easy and reliable machine, and the cura integration is very nice also, you get on the screen a message to change the filament before a new task etc...

Only minors i encoutered:

-When changing the printspeed on the printer (150% in my case), i got a problem when running out og filamnt. Seems that the load / unload speed of the printer is affected by this setting, and in my case it stalled. At first i didn't know what it was, but after a while i figured it out.

-The probing of the bed is always on the same spots, so when you print a small thing, which is easy removed in the printer, be sure to clean all the probing points!! or the next print will fail.

And ofcourse, no aluplate, real bummer!!!

12 hours ago, asb said:

Sorry, but when the slicer stops at about 40%, this has nothing to do with the printer, you can even turn the printer off or exchange it with another brand and you will get the same problem.

On 12/22/2018 at 4:10 AM, asb said:

The PPA isn't supported by Ultimaker. If you want to run Cura, download the AppImage. 

On 12/22/2018 at 3:10 AM, asb said:

My S5 works perfect and i have yet to have any prints fail and i'm up to 70days of running hours on the hot end, problem is due to end user not using supported software.

My only problem is with the lack of aluminum build plate but that don't stop it from being a great printer that can just keep printing over and over none stop.

• Like 3

On 12/23/2018 at 10:29 PM, nallath said:

The PPA isn't supported by Ultimaker. If you want to run Cura, download the AppImage. 

The PPA is maintained by an Ultimaker employee, and it is far superior to the appimage - at least if it works.

Recently a 4.0 version was released. Now Cura does not even start anymore.

Regarding what Ultimaker considers to be "supported": Officially, Cura seems not to be supported at all. If one asks a question, the support request if forwarded to the local distrubutor. And the local distributor considers Cura unsupported because "it is open source" and it "is not part of the Ultimaker printer package". It is some kind of an add-on goody. If I can not get answers to questions, I think this qualifies as "unsupported" as well.

And yes, the Appimage doesn't work properly, either. Last version I checked could not connect to the S5. Besides that, it is terribly slow, not integrated into the operating system, it is not safe, and it does not get updated through the OS mechanisms. The appimage is a very, very bad crutch.

Looking further into what Ultimaker considers to be "supported", next brick wall you will hit is the firmware and shell access. As far as distributors - which are responsible for the support - are concerned, shell access does not even exist. From the Ultimaker end, shell access is undocumented and also not officially supported.

And it does not stop with de-facto unsupported software and firmware. Considering the aluminum build plate which we were led to believe to be a unique feature of the S5, it seems to be now "unsupported" as well as we won't get the aluminum build plate. When the S5 was introduced, it was considered a unique selling point and advertising focused on this feature which only the S5 offered. The first disillusionment happened when my S5 arrived without the aluminum build plate, three months after the product was put onthe retail shelfs. Altogether more than half a year after the product introduction, Ultimaker decides that the product introduction marketing was… well what - a mistake? … and that there will not be any aluminum build plate and neither a technicallly equivalent replacement nor another appropriate compensation. Offering a 2nd glass plate is nothing but an isult, especially considering the major benefits of the aluminum print bed.

If the S5 wasn't so expensive, all of this would be a bad joke. But as it is, it's a massive offence.

4 hours ago, asb said:

From the Ultimaker end, shell access is undocumented and also not officially supported.

It is a common practice, that such things are unsupported which is good in my opinion. If this would be a supported and documented feature, everyone who is able to start an SSH client, will connect to the shell and start modifying things, which could easily result in a bricked printer. If that happens, the user cries out loud that something is not working, the printer is bricked and he needs help, support, and whatever to get his printer up and running again. Therefore, shell access is unsupported and to use it is on your own risk.

4 hours ago, asb said:

And it does not stop with de-facto unsupported software and firmware.

Why do you think or have the feeling that the firmware is unsupported? I get for my S5 new firmware releases from Ultimaker and they also care about newly found bugs.

4 hours ago, asb said:

The PPA is maintained by an Ultimaker employee, and it is far superior to the appimage - at least if it works.

Cura is open source, everyone can compile and package the software. If you have the feeling that one or the other package is better than the official one, go for it and be happy, but it makes no sense to complain about non-working packages which are not maintained by Ultimaker officially. And in my opinion, if the superior PPA is not even starting anymore, then it is not so superior. If the appimage is also not working for you, then the problem is maybe not the software itself, but some other issues on your system, libraries or something like that.

4 hours ago, asb said:

Offering a 2nd glass plate is nothing but an isult, especially considering the major benefits of the aluminum print bed.

Have you sent a direct message to @SandervG  to find a solution that works for you? If not, you should do that if you expect a solution for your unhappiness.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, asb said:

Regarding what Ultimaker considers to be "supported": Officially, Cura seems not to be supported at all. If one asks a question, the support request if forwarded to the local distrubutor. And the local distributor considers Cura unsupported because "it is open source" and it "is not part of the Ultimaker printer package". It is some kind of an add-on goody. If I can not get answers to questions, I think this qualifies as "unsupported" as well.

And yes, the Appimage doesn't work properly, either. Last version I checked could not connect to the S5. Besides that, it is terribly slow, not integrated into the operating system, it is not safe, and it does not get updated through the OS mechanisms. The appimage is a very, very bad crutch.

Looking further into what Ultimaker considers to be "supported", next brick wall you will hit is the firmware and shell access. As far as distributors - which are responsible for the support - are concerned, shell access does not even exist. From the Ultimaker end, shell access is undocumented and also not officially supported.

And it does not stop with de-facto unsupported software and firmware. Considering the aluminum build plate which we were led to believe to be a unique feature of the S5, it seems to be now "unsupported" as well as we won't get the aluminum build plate. When the S5 was introduced, it was considered a unique selling point and advertising focused on this feature which only the S5 offered. The first disillusionment happened when my S5 arrived without the aluminum build plate, three months after the product was put onthe retail shelfs. Altogether more than half a year after the product introduction, Ultimaker decides that the product introduction marketing was… well what - a mistake? … and that there will not be any aluminum build plate and neither a technicallly equivalent replacement nor another appropriate compensation. Offering a 2nd glass plate is nothing but an isult, especially considering the major benefits of the aluminum print bed.

If the S5 wasn't so expensive, all of this would be a bad joke. But as it is, it's a massive offence.

Good day asb

I had to read your post a couple times because I find that much of what you shared mirrors my thoughts and why I remain so troubled.

Beginning with your last product related issue; the aluminum build plate; as much as I try, the chain of events associated with the aluminum build plate concerns me on a very significant level. Add to this, I too considered Ultimaker’s glass build plate offering an insult.

Now to Cura; the fact that it is “open source” is only moderately interesting as this plays well for Ultimaker as they have a significant number of unpaid users constantly able to contribute to their product development. This however, does not negate Ultimaker’s responsibility to maintain a stable program. 

The Ultimaker S5 was marketed and sold as a fully developed package that includes  “Cura” and it being integrated into the Ultimaker S5 and designed to work seemleasly with Ultimaker’s private labeled NFC filament. We were told that this package was created with the primary end user being “businesses”. It was marketed and sold as a plug and play printer designed to be used by the average person with no inherent 3D printing experience. This was not marketed nor sold as a hobbiest printer.

The price point of the Ultimaker S5 is high however, because it included (as they solicited) several years of development prior to its deployment along with many uniquely developed features to be specific to the Ultimaker S5 as such I was able to justify it at that time. 

At this moment I question much of what I was told.

Having shared this; yes the Ultimaker S5 is able to produce nice prints. It’s slower than most printers and the resulting prints are not of a quality unique to the Ultimaker S5 but rather consistent with many printers sold at a much lower price point; including other Ultimaker printers.

Prior to purchasing the Ultimaker S5 I asked many many questions of Ultimaker directly and their distributors “because” I have been mislead by other 3D printer manufacturers before as such I was very skeptical.

Ultimately I trusted Ultimaker 

Edited by Shadowman
    Spelling

1 hour ago, Shadowman said:

The Ultimaker S5 was marketed and sold as a fully developed package that includes  “Cura” and it being integrated into the Ultimaker S5 and designed to work seemleasly with Ultimaker’s private labeled NFC filament. We were told that this package was created with the primary end user being “businesses”. It was marketed and sold as a plug and play printer designed to be used by the average person with no inherent 3D printing experience. This was not marketed nor sold as a hobbiest printer.

In my opinion and experience, it is exactly that. For me, the S5 and also the UM3 are plug and play printers. Unboxed, connected, installed Cura and started the first print. Everything fine, no problems. Try a China printer or a Prusa, and you will see the difference. If someone needs more plug and play or is overwhelmed with the usage of an Ultimaker printer, then you have to buy something in a much higher price category.

I like my UM printers and have no problems with it. Also not with the Cura software, which runs quite well on my Apple machines. They produce nice quality prints and the community here is superb regarding support and help, which no commercial support can offer in my opinion. 

All known issues are not really issues for me if the led is dimmed or off is not important for me. If there will come an aluminum plate or not, is not important for me - I can print every material on glass with or without the help of other adhesion tools. If Cura is not working on my machine, it is not the fault of the printer.

Everyone who still thinks he cannot print without an aluminum plate should contact Ultimaker. @SandervG offered more than once to contact him directly to discuss a possible solution. So instead of complaining here again and again (which gets boring with the time), should do that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

If this would be a support and documented feature, everyone who is able to start an SSH client, will connect to the shell and start modifying things, which could easily result in a bricked printer.

Yes, if it is undocumented.

No, if it is clearly documented.

For comparison, please check the manual for your car or your dishwasher. At least mine are very well documented. The documentation matches with the delivered product, and it includes instruction what to do when popping the hood. In both cases it helped me to fix faults myself without being a car mechanic or a service technician.

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

Why do you think or have the feeling that the firmware is unsupported?

Just one example: So far, nobody was willing or able to point me to a firmware documentation. I need this for calibration. All I could find out within the past months is that 'somewhere' is a 'JSON file'. Having to figure out myself which file is reference and which parameters have which effect is exactly what one commonly considers as "unsupported".

1 hour ago, Smithy said:

[…] complain about non-working packages which are not maintained by Ultimaker officially.

As I wrote above, I can not see any difference anymore between "Ultimaker supported" and "Ultimaker unsupported". Both version occasionally do not work, and for both there is nobody resposible you can ask. If you ask a question about the appimage and get the respnse that it is unsupported, where exactly is the difference to the PPA which you are considering unsupported?

And by the way, the point of these bloody appimages is that they are supposed to come with all required components. They duplicate parts of the operating system files. That's why appimages are so huge and sluggish.

2 hours ago, Smithy said:

In my opinion and experience, it is exactly that. For me, the S5 and also the UM3 are plug and play printers. Unboxed, connected, installed Cura and started the first print. Everything fine, no problems. Try a China printer or a Prusa, and you will see the difference. If someone needs more plug and play or is overwhelmed with the usage of an Ultimaker printer, then you have to buy something in a much higher price category or consider to use a 3D printing service if you only occasionally need 3D prints.

I like my UM printers and have no problems with it. Also not with the Cura software, which runs quite well on my Apple machines. They produce nice quality prints and the community here is superb regarding support and help, which no commercial support can offer in my opinion. 

All known issues are not really issues for me if the led is dimmed or off is not important for me. If there will come an aluminum plate or not, is not important for me - I can print every material on glass with or without the help of other adhesion tools. If Cura is not working on my machine, it is not the fault of the printer.

Everyone who still thinks he cannot print without an aluminum plate should contact Ultimaker. @SandervG offered more than once to contact him directly to discuss a possible solution. So instead of complaining here again and again (which gets boring with the time), should do that.

Smithy

Your input and shared experiences are always appreciated.

Smithy, the issue is not what the Ultimaker S5 can do as I agree with you that it printed out of the box and frankly; as I have shared before; nicely albeit slow. Add to this the PVA support has opened many very cool printing opportunities.

The issue for me is the continuation of Ultimaker and folks such as you down playing the importance of what was told versus what is reality.

Yes; anyone can print without an aluminum build plate however, because one can does not mean that not receiving it should be discounted.

Regardless of you personal opinion and the use of your printers Ultimaker has not taken responsibility for what they did.

They sold a product stating that it was a fully developed product with unique  “value” related features that after nearly 6 months of selling them Ultimaker simply said; sorry it’s not going to work.

How you can accept this as acceptable is very surprising to me.

Now with regards to Cura; the Ultimaker S5 was sold with Cura as an integrated piece of software; the heart of the printer designed to be “best” used with Ultimaker’s private labeled NFC filament. I bought into this along with a significant inventory of Ultimaker’s NFC filament and back up hardware.

Lastly; I am all to familiar with other printers having been lead down the path of “someday .... maybe” which is why I spent so much time discussing my experience and “real” concerns with Ultimaker and the distributors prior to the purchase. In addition; I read the reviews presented by the various publications; speaking of which these reviews all presented the Yin and Yang of the Ultimaker S5 printer.

Cost = high 

Unique features such as the highly solicited aluminum build plate = offset for the high cost.

These reviews significantly assisted Ultimaker with the S5 rollout; how would numerous reviewers cad publications rate it today?

Yes.....

SandervG and I have communicated and we will carry our conversation further after the holidays and yet; I feel that Ultimaker needs to be more transparent in how this situation is being handled because IMO; one on one conversations with SandervG cloak the issue and there is truly no common ground but rather a series of independent placating gestures.

Take care 

Edited by Shadowman
    Additional
    • Like 1

26 minutes ago, asb said:

Just one example: So far, nobody was willing or able to point me to a firmware documentation. I need this for calibration. All I could find out within the past months is that 'somewhere' is a 'JSON file'. Having to figure out myself which file is reference and which parameters have which effect is exactly what one commonly considers as "unsupported".

I guess the reason for it is, that you can easily brick your printer when modifying JSON files. Therefore Ultimaker will not give any advice on how to edit these files. Someone, like you, who is familiar with Linux can do it safely and easily, but it is nothing for everyone. Besides that, it is not really necessary to edit or calibrate the steps in the JSON file. As far as I know, Ultimaker also doesn't recommend to do it, because there are some side effects when changing print parameters and so on. 

26 minutes ago, asb said:

Both version occasionally do not work, and for both there is nobody resposible you can ask. If you ask a question about the appimage and get the respnse that it is unsupported, where exactly is the difference to the PPA which you are considering unsupported?

I don't have an answer for you, but I assume it is hard to support a Linux application. There are several distributions, all with different library versions and so on. That's probably the reason why Ultimaker only offers the appimage, which provides also the needed libraries. But you say, the appimage is also not working for you, so maybe there is something else on your system. 

22 minutes ago, Shadowman said:

The issue for me is the continuation of Ultimaker and folks such as you down playing the importance of what was told versus what is reality.

23 minutes ago, Shadowman said:

How you can accept this as acceptable is very surprising to me.

For me it is easy to explain, I bought the S5, not because of the aluminum plate, I bought it because of the build volume and the possibility to print abrasive materials. Honestly, I got noticed about the aluminum plate first, after unboxing 🙂 - that's maybe the reason why I don't see it that "hard" or unacceptable as others. 

I can also understand that some are disappointed about the end of the aluminum plate, especially if this was the only reason why they decided to buy the printer. But I still believe it was better to say stop now, than waiting for a product that cannot be mass produced as expected and which probably makes more problems than the glass plate. 

We all know that it was in the marketing channels that this will be a unique feature of the S5 and even because of that, I have full respect for the decision Ultimaker made. They truly believed that they can accomplish the production and now as they cannot, they are honest enough with the coming out and try to find individual solutions for customers which are not happy with a second glass plate. So, in my opinion, we should be fair and give them the time and the chance to compensate for this issue. 

1 hour ago, Shadowman said:

Now with regards to Cura; the Ultimaker S5 was sold with Cura as an integrated piece of software; the heart of the printer designed to be “best” used with Ultimaker’s private labeled NFC filament. I bought into this along with a significant inventory of Ultimaker’s NFC filament and back up hardware.

Maybe I don't understand what you mean, but this combination is working great and also with different brands of materials. UM materials and print heads are detected by Cura and you can print without modifying any setting. When you try to use Simplfy3D for example with your S5, then you see what you really have with Cura and how perfectly Cura works with the Ultimaker printers.

Last but not least I have a wish for 2019, that we all will act objective and fair. Everyone should get a chance to make things better next time, also Ultimaker, and with all disappointment, we should not forget, that they have built and build hopefully also in the future great workhorses for our businesses and hobby activities.

• Like 1