Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions
6 hours ago, PaulK said:

Getting a big spool to feed to your S5 ...

Great idea! Is it your design?

Also the cabinet is nice, looks like the IKEA "Alex" which I am also using for my S5. Just be careful that the printer will not fall of the cabinet. I have secured mine that the printer cannot slip off.

20 hours ago, RudydG said:

Nice idea, just one remark, does the filament touch the power plug? Maybe a situation you would want to avoid. The rubbing of filament can be quit agressive.

When the roll gets smaller, it will. It is an unfortunate place for the power plug (hey engineers!). I'll probably print a diverter of some sort eventually.

Great idea! Is it your design?

Also the cabinet is nice, looks like the IKEA "Alex" which I am also using for my S5. 

Well....the roller stand came with the roll. The shelf brackets are from thingiverse. The shelf is a bit of MDF I rounded and painted black. The arrangement is my idea. So, it is sort of my design, sort of not? I think it is Alex, with casters added, because everything in my shop has to roll 🙂 

I have secured mine with these little "blockers"

That is a good idea. I really want the back right to the edge to help feeding, but that is a good start. I probably don't worry enough about the printer taking the leap. Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I just added 2 Ultimaker S5s to my University MakerSpace colleciton of 20+ printers and the Ultimakers appear to be the best so far by a large margin.  I apologize if this is not the correct thread to post my 2 questions but this seems like a well moderated thread and I have not been able to find complete answers elsewhere.  Here goes...

Can/how I give the S5 a static IP and I apologize in advance for rehashing this question.  I see references here how to do it but no complete answer.  Also I would prefer to avoid the "why do you want static, DHCP is better?!" discussion.  I live in the uncomfortable world between incredible unbelievably rigid IT professionals (I would love to rant against them here but will refrain) and students, whom if you do not make the solution fool proof, will give up and complain.  I do have my 2 S5s connected via ethernet to a private network via DHCP but they have already switched IPs a few times making things difficult.  I currently have a very cheap WiFi router (acting as a router) giving DHCP to some devices on this pvt network, but I plan to switch this router to AP mode and ideally make everything static at the device.  I do assign all my lab devices static IP (around 50 and I keep a detailed table).  Yes, I realize this has drawbacks but it works for me.  Every other brand of printer I have has a reasonable easy way to create a static IP (some use Octoprint).

Second question regards how the queuing function works especially if printers have similar but different filament loaded.  I REALLY like the queuing function of Cura Connect and plan to use it.  I do have 1 printer set at the host.  I would be more than willing to read up on this is someone can point me in the right direction.  Here are my specific questions:

-  It looks like only the host shows up Cura although I am getting inconsistent results in Cura.

-  If I slice for a particular filament and send it to the queue what happens if a printer becomes available but does not match exactly the filament?  I know this sounds obvious, but what if it is just color difference?  (color rarely matters to me)  What if the difference is in the 2nd extruder but the job is only 1 extruder?  I know I can probably just test all of these features out but it would be nice to know how Cura is handling them.

Thanks in advance, so far so good.  I now know why a colleague of mine has gone exclusively with 50+ Ultimakers in his lab rather than my mix.

3 hours ago, bbaker said:

-  It looks like only the host shows up Cura although I am getting inconsistent results in Cura.

I found, with windows as the host, I could only get reliable connection via Cura by using a set IP (Preferences | Printers in the network settings). Windows+Cura could not reliably discover the printer otherwise. Of course, the DHCP settings can make it difficult to know the IP address beforehand. I solved it by reserving the IP in my DHCP server, but of course this is not available in all environments. In your setup your cheap router should allow this; once you get rid of it, you'll be in more trouble 🙂

11 hours ago, bbaker said:

Can/how I give the S5 a static IP and I apologize in advance for rehashing this question.  I see references here how to do it but no complete answer.

The described steps from this thread seems to be the complete answer - at least it worked for me on the UM3

(but i don't know if the developer mode is available on the S5 as well?):

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/15804-how-to-set-ip-address-without-wifi-or-dhcp/?tab=comments#comment-215658

12 hours ago, PaulK said:

I found, with windows as the host, I could only get reliable connection via Cura by using a set IP (Preferences | Printers in the network settings). Windows+Cura could not reliably discover the printer otherwise. Of course, the DHCP settings can make it difficult to know the IP address beforehand. I solved it by reserving the IP in my DHCP server, but of course this is not available in all environments. In your setup your cheap router should allow this; once you get rid of it, you'll be in more trouble 🙂

Thank you for the understanding!!!  I completely agree and do not want to start a static/DHCP argument but I feel that some situations lend themselves to static and some are fine with DHCP.  I have found that I have continual problems discovering printers when going DHCP, but I will also admit that my situation is unusual and potentially not optimal, but bottom line static just works for me.  I looked around my router interface and did not immediately see a way to give the Ultimakers a static IP and I plan to shift my router to AP mode very soon anyway.  I only use this cheap router as a way for students to WiFi directly into the pvt printer network.  Ideally it serves no other purpose.

3 hours ago, tinkergnome said:

The described steps from this thread seems to be the complete answer - at least it worked for me on the UM3

(but i don't know if the developer mode is available on the S5 as well?):

https://community.ultimaker.com/topic/15804-how-to-set-ip-address-without-wifi-or-dhcp/?tab=comments#comment-215658

Thanks for this as well.  I did see this post during my first review but I saw things like "ugly workaround" and people seemed to indicate that this process was difficult so I shied away from it; however, if it is just using SSH and simple commands lines, I am willing to give it a shot.  I have a feeling my next question is going to be how to factory restore an Ultimaker 🙂

All of this is pretty time critical (for me).  My MakerSpace came crashing down this week - mostly due to other printers - so I need to completely reconfigure the whole lab this weekend or my Monday at the latest.

Hi All 

So far I have been very satisfied with my Ultimaker S5. 

However, I do occasionally run into network issues, where the print can't be delivered over local network through Cura. The error message is that the print failed to be delivered after multiple attempts. This error message is only present in Cura Connect - when I send the print, Cura says that the printer has received it successfully, but the printer never starts. I have tried multiple resets without any luck. Do any of you guys experience the same problem? 

Also, I agree with some other posts that white text on grey buttons is terrible - especially if you view the display from an angle. 

Best regards

Sorry to hijack the thread but I have some questions about the S5.

I Understand that the S5 hardware is not open-source like the 3, especially when it comes to the bottom panel that houses the electronics. Since there are no support partners in my country (according to this), it seems that I will need to send about 20 Kg back and forth through international shipping to a repair center if I need to fix anything that has to do with the bottom panel which is not ideal.

I planning to buy S5 but this is a deal breaker if I can't fix the printer myself. Any forum posts about such problems suggest sending it to the retailer to fix it. Anyone has any experience in fixing the printer on their own? or any suggestions on what to do in my situation. Much appreciated. 

That list might be outdated. What country are you in?

Qatar. The listed reseller does not operate in here, they are based in UAE. 

I checked the preferred reseller listed here and the S5 costs more than 9000 USD converted from local currency which is ridiculous. 

They are also not listed in the support partners list. Its the list that is sent by the support email btw. 

bump, any one?

Hi all,

I'm new to the S5 community. Looking forward to chatting with you all and contributing to this thread.

I purchased the S5 used off of the for sale forum. I'd like to ask about cleaning the Tubes as well as the feeder. What is the process that you'd all recommend?

Do you folks use one of those filament dust traps that people have printed off?

@shambam I follow the standard maintenance and clenaing procedures set by UM for my UM3E, worked like a charm so far.

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/52604-clean-the-printer

https://ultimaker.com/en/resources/52613-clean-the-feeders

• Like 2