Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions
2 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Don't worry! We made sure to use the best LEDs we could find. It will be light. 

Good to know, maybe the light pressure is used to decrease the weight so it is also lightweight?

• Like 2

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

I've got a UM2+E, no interest in the UM3 so I'm hoping there's something to pull me in to this new one other than dual extrusion. 

Edited by RetromanIE

33 minutes ago, SandervG said:

Like what could that be?

Well, It looks like it has the same nozzle setup as the UM3 which I don't like personally(UM2+ nozzle setup is great and easy to swap/buy new nozzles). But if it has some new great feature or something else I didn't know I needed then perhaps I can be won over :0) 

5 hours ago, Daid said:

300mm^3 is ~7x7x7mm. But yes, a clever play on perspective, it's actually an UM3go! But if you mean 300x300x300mm => 27000000mm^3, that would mean 3x the volume of the UM3, that would be crazy! Right?

Minus bed clips, prime tower, switch mechanism...

5 hours ago, Daid said:

that would mean 3x the volume of the UM3, that would be crazy! Right?

And prints would take 3X as long?

Just now, gr5 said:

Only if you would print 3 times as big. But in theory, if it would be extended in an axis, you would be able to achieve higher speeds on that axis, so in ratio it would probably be faster? *|

3 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Pa-shaaaawww sed the guy who prints forever prints.... :) Lemme at it! I will see how long it takes to do monster prints!! LOL varoom VAROOM!! ;p

18 minutes ago, neotko said:

Minus bed clips, prime tower, switch mechanism...

Prime Tower? We don't need no steekin' prime tower!!

27 minutes ago, gr5 said:

Print time does not scale linear with print volume ;-)

41 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Prime Tower? We don't need no steekin' prime tower!!

Thank you! I was wondering about that. I was told some people think we need it anyways but I can't think of a reason why!

And also Blazing Saddles is funny :'D

8 minutes ago, Coalwater said:

hmm, looks like something I should watch!

Hi

If it is a "super sized" UM3 Ext then they better get on to the firmware / Cura guys for an added feature right now. A 750g spool of filament is a bit small for that sized machine. You will need a way to tell it "stop and yell at me after you have printed XXX grams". Not a big deal as features go, but very much needed. A filament runout sensor that works would be another option. The gotcha there is that it stops in mid motion. What you really want is an orderly stop once a layer is completed. The whole "halt in the middle of it" thing when the sensor fires makes for messed up prints .... I have empirical evidence .... :)

(Yes, this is a feature that might come in handy on a UM3 Ext as well ....I have data on that as well :) )

Bob

But can you actually put large spools on the back of that printer?  A large printer will use large (larger than 1kg spools) amounts of filament.

I'm hoping if there's an onboard camera is 1080P or higher for some nice time lapses.

Hi

Looking at the teaser video, the spool holders and "all that stuff" look a lot like stock Ultimaker parts. Unless they are also coming out with 1.5 Kg "standard" UM spools, I'd guess it's set up to run the stock 750 g ones. Indeed you *can* get bigger spools on the back of the printer (some, but not all brands). I would think UM would like to keep you using their filament for your giant 2 1/2 spools of filament prints :). Besides, it's only code. Coders all work for free don't they? (Yes, I used to do that for a living). 

Bob

1 hour ago, uncle_bob said:

A filament runout sensor that works would be another option. The gotcha there is that it stops in mid motion. What you really want is an orderly stop once a layer is completed. The whole "halt in the middle of it" thing when the sensor fires makes for messed up prints .... I have empirical evidence .... :)

Hey that's actually a great idea! As there is some distance between the sensor and the drive wheel we could postpone the halt for some time. 2-3 cms of filament should already provide enough leeway to finish a layer.

• Like 1

Hi

If you are going to depend on the sensor to do an orderly shutdown, it definitely needs some "room" to stop things. I have a couple of "other brand" machines with sensors on them. When they trigger (properly or not), the results are very hit or miss. If it's in the middle of something critical, they mess up. I really can't see any way around that happening with an abrupt halt. The next gotcha is making the firmware smart enough to work out when the layer (or feature) is done. For a layer you could watch the Z motion. For a feature, it is a bit more complex. Z hopping still might let you know when to do what. If the layer is a full flat coat over a (let's just guess ... ) a 300 x 300 bed - that could be a lot of filament. Toss in nonsense like using a 0.8 mm print core and 0.5 mm layers for big parts and it's even more filament. 

Bob

Edited by uncle_bob

2 hours ago, Coalwater said:

Thank you! I was wondering about that. I was told some people think we need it anyways but I can't think of a reason why!

I'm sorry to correct you but, Blazing Saddles is NOT funny....

It is HILARIOUS!

sorry to be a bit off-topic here - @foehnsturm and @uncle_bob: to complete the layer is probably not the best option. But if you can continue printing until the nozzle is not anymore on an outer wall (preferably on infill) and stop then, one could save the aesthetics of the print.

Edited by Dim3nsioneer

43 minutes ago, IWRabbit said:

It is HILARIOUS!

It's twue! IT'S TWUE!!!

1 hour ago, IWRabbit said:

It is HILARIOUS!

I like Spaceballs better...;p

15 minutes ago, Coalwater said:

I like Spaceballs better...;p

In THAT vein...

"Prepare for....

LUDICROUS PRINTS!!!!!!

• Like 1