Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

SandervG

Posted · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions
1 minute ago, xeno said:

Did I see correct there are no longer "official" resellers of Ultimaker in Holland ?

it is not in the list :?

holland is not a country, The Netherlands is..

and in The Netherlands there is PLM, Lay3rs, Makerpoint and Local Makers that are all official resellers.. 

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions
    5 minutes ago, korneel said:

holland is not a country, The Netherlands is..

and in The Netherlands there is PLM, Lay3rs, Makerpoint and Local Makers that are all official resellers.. 

Thanks for the stupid remark :+1:

but on the Ultimaker main site, and the list of official reseller there is NOT 1 in the NETHERLANDS !

And I know there are lots of shops selling Ultimakers, but it would be a little bit stupid that a Dutch company in Holland not having a official retailer in the Netherlands !

If I want to order parts, I get directed to shops in Sweden ?!

Edited by xeno

1 minute ago, xeno said:

Thanks for the stupid remark :+1:

but on the Ultimaker main site, and the list of official reseller there is NOT 1 in the NETHERLANDS !

And I know there are lots of shops selling Ultimakers, but it would be a little bit stupid that a Dutch company in Holland not having a official retailer in the Netherlands !

wait what?

what website are you on?

also, I was serious on Holland. it ticks me off, it's not a country, The Netherlands is.

so i go to the ultimaker site, I click order now, and it shows me those 4 in The Netherlands.

once i click on the full resellers page https://ultimaker.com/en/resellers

apparently the Dutch resellers are listed under global..

2 minutes ago, korneel said:

wait what?

what website are you on?

also, I was serious on Holland. it ticks me off, it's not a country, The Netherlands is.

so i go to the ultimaker site, I click order now, and it shows me those 4 in The Netherlands.

once i click on the full resellers page https://ultimaker.com/en/resellers

I am also a dutchie, and I don't care what they use, I know what they mean :)

I know Makerpoint was an official retailer, but they seemed to have moved, and are no longer an official retailer in holland :)

5 minutes ago, korneel said:

It's just a bit of grandeur from us Dutchies; The Netherlands is global! 

Just now, nallath said:

it is true though.

let's keep the Hollanders in Holland.. The Netherlands is global I agree.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, nallath said:

That...makes ...them...so...much..more...easy...to ...find........NOT ?

• Like 1

Hey @nallath

what did you work on for the Ultimaker S5 launch? 

Any interesting story you can share ? 

30 minutes ago, Xalara said:

Speaking of print head cables. If the print head cable breaks will it be easier to thread the replacement cable through the case? I know on the UM3 replacing the print head cable is a royal pain in the butt.

Well, ideally the print head cable doesn't break in the first place but it seems to happen with heavy use it on the UM3.

We found and fixed the cause of that (the cable isn't properly clamped at the head, causing it to wiggle in the connector and lose connection), I think you can get a replacement top of the printhead, or put some thick tape in the clamping to solve that problem.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, cjs said:

Hey @nallath

what did you work on for the Ultimaker S5 launch? 

Any interesting story you can share ? 

My work for the s5 was actually quite... boring. I'm on the Cura Connect team (amongst other things I do, but that's the primary project I'm on). But we didn't need all that many changes to get the S5 to work.

I did work on getting the notifications to work and the preview images on the touchscreen and the queue. That's also why there is a new surprise file format in the spec sheet of the S5; UFP. It's basically a 3MF light with a preview & gcode in it. But the preview isn't just a S5 only feature; it's also going to be in the next firmware release. But yeah, these features are really cool from a user perspective, but not super challenging on a technical level. 

1 hour ago, kmanstudios said:

For me, to be able to stop breaking everything apart would be a blessing. All that other stuff is gravy to me. The ability to use the full buildplate for both nozzles will also be a greatly welcome addition in the size department.

The way I see it is that it is basically $1,400 more for 50% more printer. And it is not for the hobbyist I am sure. While not printing as a money making venture, I am real serious about what I  can print.

Hi

On this we completely agree.

You *could* look at it as 1.5X in both X and Y, that gets you > 2X the build plate area. It also gives you > 2X the total build volume of a UM3 ext. It *is* a lot more printer. There will always be jobs it will do that the others will not. It's way less trouble to print this or that "solid" than muck around with chunks and putting them together :)  All that is true if you are a pro or if you are a (serious) hobbyist.  Will we all *replace* our UM3's with these? Some will, I'd bet most will not. Of the "not" group, some will add the S5 to their print farm and move on. A lot depends on just how much work you have to get done (or can find to do). 

Bob

14 minutes ago, Daid said:

We found and fixed the cause of that (the cable isn't properly clamped at the head, causing it to wiggle in the connector and lose connection), I think you can get a replacement top of the printhead, or put some thick tape in the clamping to solve that problem.

Thank you for this, I'll add some tape since I'd really prefer not to replace my cable again :) My thought is that electrical tape will be what I should use here?

1 minute ago, uncle_bob said:

Will we all *replace* our UM3's with these? Some will, I'd bet most will not. Of the "not" group, some will add the S5 to their print farm and move on. A lot depends on just how much work you have to get done (or can find to do). 

I don't think you should see the S5 as a UM3 "killer". Quite a few people see it as a replacement printer, but I don't think it should be seen as such. It's an extension of the portfolio of machines that we provide. 

Both the UM3 and the S5 still have the same firmware architecture, so we can continue to develop for both of them at the same time. 

Hi

I keep both the UM3 and the UM3 ext running most of the time ( over 130 hours a week on each of them ). I certainly would not call one a "replacement" or "killer" of the other. They both can do a lot of things. Not all prints are gigantic. The same is true of the S5. You *could* do everything on it. I'm not sure that is how most UM3 owners would approach things. It's certainly not how I would look at it. 

Bob

@foehnsturm - regarding that filament sensor you were talking about - is that the one on the S5?

• Like 1

No, I don't know the sensor on the S5 in detail so far. I was talking about our own project. But I don't want to hijack this topic so I'm going to start an extra thread soon.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, nallath said:

I did work on getting the notifications to work and the preview images on the touchscreen and the queue. That's also why there is a new surprise file format in the spec sheet of the S5; UFP. It's basically a 3MF light with a preview & gcode in it. But the preview isn't just a S5 only feature; it's also going to be in the next firmware release. But yeah, these features are really cool from a user perspective, but not super challenging on a technical level. 

Looking forward to it! Thank you for this information :) Not a lot has been said about those small user interface improvements. Therefore I'm quite intrigued to hear about such. 

I would ask if you could show some pictures, but it seems like you are not allowed to showcase more. 

Will it also be possible to see the preview on my computer/mac/linux system as a preview? So I can easily see what I sliced? 

14 minutes ago, nallath said:

I don't think you should see the S5 as a UM3 "killer". Quite a few people see it as a replacement printer, but I don't think it should be seen as such. It's an extension of the portfolio of machines that we provide. 

I think thats because it seams IMHO that Ultimaker stops developing/upgrading the older machines after releasing a new one. Therefore you generate the need to upgrade to be sure to not be left behind. As an example: Ultimaker still sells the UM2+, but hasn't given it the new build platform of the UM3 even though it would be quite easy to do. Same with the feeder. Many people need/use tools to operate it. Ultimaker come up with a better way, but only limits it to the s5 :/ Thats a bit of shame IMHO. I'm not generally talking about upgrade kits. 

Hopefully this wasn't to negative @nallath as you had enough negativity on twitter already :/ 

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

Disappointed in the price to be honest, now I shift my eye to Raise3D Pro 2, as for £3,149 + tax somewhat affordable, as even in business prospective I couldn't find an excuse of spending £5095 + Tax on upgrading.

Not to mention, when I got Original Prusa MK3, wow, what a machine, a best for £900 (assembled) truly amassing . Thought after buying MK3 it would be backup to my UM2E+, but the opposite occur. 

Edited by LeoDude

Hi

Low price leader has never been UM's place in the market. There have always been ( and always will be ) lower purchase price options. The only way they will continue to justify their market position is by continuing to deliver printers that do a better job. That's not to say this or that print is better under a microscope than some other print. How much do I have to fiddle to get this or that done? What sort of up time do I get on the printer? If there is a problem, what sort of support is there? How close to an  "end to end" solution is it ? ( = does the software vendor point at the hardware vendor and vice versa while nothing comes out right?). Indeed with enough time invested I can make just about any POS printer turn out a part. That may or may not be a good use of my time. If it is, I'll buy something cheap. If I need to put a lot of stuff through the printer for weeks and months on end, getting less than 60 hours a week on good prints may not make any sense. Are there other good vendors out there? Sure there are. I have yet to find a good one who is also cheap .....

Bob

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LeoDude said:

I shift my eye to Raise3D Pro 2

I took a look and found one thing I did not like right away: The filament feeding system seems to be locked down, limiting spool size or alternative methods of feeding filament.

Just an observation.

With Raise3D Pro 2 feeding system is inside the machine is bad and good at same time, bad you would be limited to the space, good that it is completely closed system, no dust inside, no uncontrolled heat escaping, dump etc, even have HEPA filter . Still waiting for online reviews for this machine, but from 1st look its promising with price tag less harsh than UMS5.

4 hours ago, LeoDude said:

With Raise3D Pro 2 feeding system is inside the machine is bad and good at same time, bad you would be limited to the space, good that it is completely closed system, no dust inside, no uncontrolled heat escaping, dump etc, even have HEPA filter . Still waiting for online reviews for this machine, but from 1st look its promising with price tag less harsh than UMS5.

Sounds to me like a problem area actually. PLA or PVA above 45C is problematic to catastrophic. So you wouldn't want that in a heated build environment...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, cjs said:

Will it also be possible to see the preview on my computer/mac/linux system as a preview? So I can easily see what I sliced? 

Hopefully this wasn't to negative @nallath as you had enough negativity on twitter already :/ 

Yup. Onder the hood UFP files are zip files with a preview image in it. So you can just open them and look at the preview image.

10 hours ago, cjs said:

Don't worry. Working for a company like Ultimaker and talking to people outside of it means you got to have a thick skin. I didn't experience your posts as negative; you simply argue a point. Arguments are something we can work with, quotes like "OMG Too expensive, RIP ultimaker, greedy bastards" is something we can't do anything with ;)

• Like 1

UM2+ (UM3) flow sensor topic.