Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

SandervG

Posted (edited) · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

Hi

The ideal is to star away from a wall in an infill region. That's a bet you may win randomly, but you also can loose it. The best solution would be for Cura to work out "this is a fine place to stop" and tag that. Then do an orderly stop there. That's what drove my initial suggestion that you pre-program an "end of spool" into the gcode straight from the start. No matter how elegant you try to be with a new load of filament, the first extrusion will be a bit of a mess. That's why we do various things at the start of the print to get things going ....

What seems to happen is this: 

The printer is doing a move 

*and*

The printer is running the extruder

Both are supposed to match each other. Both should be a 1:1 match for each other. In the real world, not so much. When it resumes in the middle of this or that it either over extrudes or under extrudes. Neither one is what you want. On some printers  ( not UM brand ) the results are pretty horrible. My guess is that there is more to this than a simple resume ....

Bob

Edited by uncle_bob

Posted · Ultimaker S5 | impressions & opinions

Well, how bad is a small scar on your model compared to a failed print because filament ran out? Yes, resuming isn't 100% smooth sailing, but the current UM3 firmware already does some smart tracking of filament positions to allow material changes during a print and resume as good as possible. As it tracks how far the material is retracted when pausing, and puts the filament tip back at that position when resuming the print. That's generally where things can mess up, filament all the way at the tip, while the gcode thinks it is retracted, you will get a messy result :-)

Oh, and you can program in pauses into UM3 gcode as far as I know. M0/M1 should pause the printer in the UM3.

Hi

So .... to get back to the top of this ... what is needed is a Cura "something" that can put in a pause based on filament used. More or less, tell it that I want to stop before 740g and let it figure out the best point.  If this is a bigger printer, something like that will be needed. Since I *know* that a 1,200 g print will run over a 750 g spool, I need to do something. Sitting and watching the spool is a really boring thing. Ask me how I know this :)

Bob

Edited by uncle_bob

10 hours ago, uncle_bob said:

Hi

So .... to get back to the top of this ... what is needed is a Cura "something" that can put in a pause based on filament used. More or less, tell it that I want to stop before 740g and let it figure out the best point.  If this is a bigger printer, something like that will be needed. Since I *know* that a 1,200 g print will run over a 750 g spool, I need to do something. Sitting and watching the spool is a really boring thing. Ask me how I know this :)

Bob

It should be relatively easy to adapt the "pause at height" post processor for this goal, instead of height it just has to look at filament usage.

1 hour ago, Daid said:

It should be relatively easy to adapt the "pause at height" post processor for this goal, instead of height it just has to look at filament usage.

Maybe you want to fix the resume bug there first... (https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/issues/3676) - or in the UM3 firmware, wherever it is...

Edited by Dim3nsioneer

17 hours ago, LePaul said:

But can you actually put large spools on the back of that printer?  A large printer will use large (larger than 1kg spools) amounts of filament.

I'm hoping if there's an onboard camera is 1080P or higher for some nice time lapses.

I've looked a bit regarding getting timelapses integrated with Cura Connect. Can't say when we will get it in, but its reasonably high on the todo list.

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Daid said:

Hi

That's my hope. With something like pause at height built into Cura at lest there is a way to get a big print done with a large(r) printer and standard filament spools. The ideal case would be to allow the user to input a filament amount (or a series of amounts). That way Crazy Bob who goes to 751 grams on every spool can do his thing. Someone not quite so insane can drop back to 740 or less. It might also come in handy for using up piles of partial spools.....

Bob

5 hours ago, nallath said:

I've looked a bit regarding getting timelapses integrated with Cura Connect. Can't say when we will get it in, but its reasonably high on the todo list.

That would be a very nice feature to have.

well... I think that UM2 sticker behind the bed is bigger than UM3, right?

Which is the size of UM3 sticker?

um_huge.thumb.jpg.e91e295ec79f4c0ef7ecb722c9b8cf79.jpg

*|

Edited by fergazz

Hi

There are some practical limits in terms of how useful a larger machine is. Going up to 300 x 300 x 300 is rational. That way you don't have to bother quite so much about fitting an object vs how you want the layers to run. 3X larger gets you into crazy land. The rods and belts would all have to be monster sized for it all to work out in the video. You also need at least 2 KG spools to feed the beast (I have data on 500 x 500 x 500 .... 600 x 600 x 600 would be a bit worse) for full sized prints. 

Bob

2 hours ago, uncle_bob said:

3X larger gets you into crazy land.

Not 3 x larger than the actual build volume, 3x sticker (Ultimaker name) size approximately! ;)

EDIT: I have a Ultimaker 2, can anyone messure the sticker size of the UM3? 

Edited by fergazz

Hi

..... but if *everything* scales with the sticker :)

Bob

6 minutes ago, uncle_bob said:

..... but if *everything* scales with the sticker :)

Hi Bob! hahaha oh yeah, who knows...

If it's got bigger than 360 x 325mm I'll be surprised! 

Hi

Basically I was making a point that anything much over a 300 to 350 mm cube is getting a bit crazy .... :)

Bob

2 hours ago, uncle_bob said:

Hi

Basically I was making a point that anything much over a 300 to 350 mm cube is getting a bit crazy .... :)

Bob

Would that not depend upon what you intend to make?

27 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

Would that not depend upon what you intend to make?

Hi

True, but there are not a lot of things that are bigger then 300 cube that take small amounts of filament. If the part fits in a 200 mm cube ..... run it on your existing printer :)  Yes, I do realize that somewhere out there somebody prints nothing but vase mode .... most of us aren't quite that mode specific. 

Bob

18 minutes ago, uncle_bob said:

Hi

True, but there are not a lot of things that are bigger then 300 cube that take small amounts of filament. If the part fits in a 200 mm cube ..... run it on your existing printer :)  Yes, I do realize that somewhere out there somebody prints nothing but vase mode .... most of us aren't quite that mode specific. 

Bob

??????

What about people that print mechanical parts that are long and need to be printed in one piece for prototyping. These do not need to be supersturdy, just one piece to wow the client or person requesting it.

And, then there are those that one piece makes sense if actually needing the stiffness and rebound of a single piece. These can be thin as well, just long and single bodied.

And, I myself print out art pieces (ok, I have no other term for it since I really do not consider my work 'art') and would love to be able to have the option to print large without having to divide everything up or better, just divide it up least.

Printing large does not need to be about volume per se; just the ability to print a part or set of parts that are single bodied and long. Or, just a bunch more smaller parts.

Edited by kmanstudios
    • Like 1

Hi

I don't have to print much of a shell on a large part to run through 700g of filament on a UM3 ext. Boost all the dimensions by 1.5X and the volume goes way up. It's still not real clear to me that *all* the dimensions go up 1.5X. The new beast may be a cube. If so, the parts will be no taller than a 3 extended will print. Yes, this is quibbling about 2.5 X vs 4X on the volume. 

Bob

53 minutes ago, uncle_bob said:

Hi

I don't have to print much of a shell on a large part to run through 700g of filament on a UM3 ext. Boost all the dimensions by 1.5X and the volume goes way up. It's still not real clear to me that *all* the dimensions go up 1.5X. The new beast may be a cube. If so, the parts will be no taller than a 3 extended will print. Yes, this is quibbling about 2.5 X vs 4X on the volume. 

Bob

Well, that is you. And, you conveniently ignored the part about printing a whole bunch of other parts.

I get it, you think it is useless, but I and, maybe just a few others do not share that opinion. And, that is all it is, an opinion.

Hi

No, not at all useless. The issue is 750 g filament spools and how to manage them with a larger build area.

Bob

4 hours ago, uncle_bob said:

Hi

No, not at all useless. The issue is 750 g filament spools and how to manage them with a larger build area.

Bob

Do not see that as an issue on my end. And, I am not limited to .75 KG spools...nobody is. Why are you imposing an artificial limitation on this?

Also, if I have a .75Kg spool running ten plates on the same UM3E and can run say maybe just 3 or 4 plates instead whilst I do other work, I am not seeing the issue here.....

• Like 1

I'll talk about my needs. Several times during this 3 years and a half, I lost clients for not meeting demands that needed 10cm more (single pieces, not fractioned) in the Z axis or XY. Works that would yield me a profit relative to 10-15 jobs in smaller scale. This would allow me to increase the area of my company's operations. If there are filaments of 1.5-2.2Kg I do not see why not use them. If Ultimaker cannot meet this size I will have to sadly opt for another large-scale printer. Maybe it does not come in this version "3 something", but who knows in 4? If Ultimaker decides to focus on the industrial area, as it has shown after the launch of 3, I understand that this is a good way. I believe that finding a new material that is soluble, cheaper, and less painful would be another interesting direction.

At the same time I believe that to increase the volume of printing significantly the hardware would have to keep up too and I really trust Ultimaker's team. I have been researching large-scale printers for more than a year. I have even intermediated the purchase of one and already work and trained people to use another. I have noticed Z-rods double or wider than Ultimaker's standards UM2, and this goes for axes in XY too. Other than the power supply and features of arduino boards that I don't have enough knowledge to analyze (yet!) :) 

And to finish, in my point of view, working a large object with a 0.25mm nozzle would be risky and a long journey, ideally would be work with nozzles larger than the standard 0.4mm (0.6 to 1.2) and resolutions from 150 microns.

Sorry to be too long but I'm thinking about it since UM3 launch and please warn me if my line of reasoning is too crazy :'D

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, fergazz said:

If Ultimaker cannot meet this size I will have to sadly opt for another large-scale printer

Simply switch to a different spooling base. The only restriction is the diameter of the filament. Not the spool size. I regularly use 1Kg spools a lot. They even fit on the back of the printer. But, I use a polybox to combat the humidity. That is why so many people print specialty spool systems. I have even started to use 1 Kg. of PVA because I burn through it so fast.

I do have to echo that I did a couple of things this year that I had to break up and print in pieces. This is dicey with a client's model as you have to make sure you do not mess up their actual specs whilst doing so. Some things could benefit like being able to print an engine manifold in one piece.

tubular_exhaust_manifold.jpg

Long and high, but not much volume. Printing this Vs. printing an engine block would be night and day on time and volume used and amount of material.

11 minutes ago, fergazz said:

And to finish, in my point of view, working a large object with a 0.25mm nozzle would be risky and a long journey, ideally would be work with nozzles larger than the standard 0.4mm (0.6 to 1.2) and resolutions from 150 microns.

And, I agree with this as well. I am even pushing my 0.4 in ways to see what can be done without switching nozzle sizes. But your theory is sound.

Edited by kmanstudios
    Spellcheck only works if you use a bad spelling, not the wrong word...dad = had, to = two, bit = it....sigh...

Sorry, my sentence was not clear.

fergazz said:

"If Ultimaker cannot meet this size I will have to sadly opt for another large-scale printer"

I meant: meet the size that I expecting in build volume, around 30x30x30cm. But I will be keep printing with my "brand new" UM2 upgraded ;)... the larger scale will be for those kinds of jobs. 

And yeah, I did many jobs printing pieces and glueing but somethimes clients want a single piece for end use.

28 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

I use a polybox to combat the humidity. 

I've never heard about it, I'll search... thank you!

28 minutes ago, kmanstudios said:

I am even pushing my 0.4 in ways to see what can be done without switching nozzle sizes. But your theory is sound.

Ow yeah, that's true, but there is a limitation printing with a 0.4mm... I believe that 0.6 is the maximum to be reliable, not sure.

Edited by fergazz